Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I didn't have a pre surgical test

@debraalbert... How can you have surgery without pre surgical testing?

Might be good to ask the surgeon his reasons behind this unless you meant you have not had it as of yet but will closer to surgery?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by nyteacher125

why am I having so much trouble with my font. maybe they only do that test for bypass?

No I'm having the sleeve... I'll be having that test along with the primary care physician ordering other test such as an ekg to clear me for surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm having such a hard time choosing between the bypass and sleeve. I only have two nutritionist appointments left so it's coming quickly. I'm excited to see what my surgeon recommends but if he says either one, I'm still going to be torn. I have no comorbities besides high blood pressure every now and then, not on meds for it though. I'm 22, 5'9, 360 and still losing. I'd like my goal weight to be 165. Any recommendations? What was your starting and current weights? I'd love your stories, pictures, etc. Thanks so much!

I was sleeved April 20, 2015 and couldn't be happier with my surgery, recovery, and progress so far.

Haven't had surgery yet but I went with what my surgeon suggested based on my current health...I was unsure at the time but going w rny just waiting on seeing a pulmonary doctor. Hate the wait!!

Sent from my SM-G730V using the BariatricPal App

I'll be doing the same as you krazy kat.....laying out all my health info and concerns about each procedure to the doctor, and then trusting their judgment.

It's scary, I know.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by gina171

I choose the sleeve for several reasons; less chance of complications, shorter surgery time, no moving of the intestine; less chance of malabsorption issues. I have a previous hysterectomy with a vertical abdominal scar. My surgeon also stated that scar tissue from my previous surgey may be problematic for bypass, he thought the sleeve may be my best option for those reason, though he left it up to me, I decided on the sleeve..

@@hernewselfie I think you are as successful as you want to be with the sleeve or the bypass. Both are tools and you have to decide which tool you want to use to get the job done. I have seen people fail and be successful equally with either tool. After discussing my diet with my surgeon, he thought that the sleeve would be fine for me and I have no regrets. In the short term, the bypass usually produces quicker results, but long term the results are pretty similar. Ultimately, you control how successful you are by your eating and exercise habits.

Here are my stats:

I'm 5'5 and was sleeved on June 23, 2015. I'm 34 and have also had a baby (yes I believe this makes a difference).

HW:435

SW:402

CW:283

Here's a comparison calculator

http://www.obesitycoverage.com/gastric-bypass-vs-gastric-sleeve-surgery/

Also, you CAN experience dumping with the sleeve.

Edited by her1981

I can't decide which one I want. I'm really leaning more toward the bypass, though, mainly because of the accountability and the faster weight loss. The surgeons and bariatric center doctors I'm going to are the ones who have the final say which surgery will be best for me. That's ok with me, though, because they have a higher than normal success rate with their patients.....so I'll follow what they say, in their experience, will be the best option for me. ;)

I can't decide which one I want. I'm really leaning more toward the bypass, though, mainly because of the accountability and the faster weight loss. The surgeons and bariatric center doctors I'm going to are the ones who have the final say which surgery will be best for me. That's ok with me, though, because they have a higher than normal success rate with their patients.....so I'll follow what they say, in their experience, will be the best option for me. ;)

I'm leaning towards bypass as well for those reasons. I'm excited to see what my surgeon recommends. But I've already been told I can choose either one so I think bypass it is [emoji4]

@@hernewselfie Ultimately, you control how successful you are by your eating and exercise habits.

I went with the sleeve because I am not one to take pills on a daily basis--which is required for the malabsorption issues that accompany the bypass. I have four kids for a reason, people! Regardless of what you choose, just like @@her1981 stated, your long term success comes with how and if you retrain yourself in that one year grace period that follows any weight loss surgery. You need to develop good eating habits and exercise habits. There is no way around it. The sleeve and bypass are just tools to help you control QUANTITY. You have to choose the QUALITY.

@@krazy kat Thanks!!! I've been working this sleeve to capacity!

My surgeon has recommended the sleeve and I will hopefully be going in that direction unless something happens between now and surgery. I didn't want malabsorption issues or dumping. I am not a sweet eater and only need restriction.