Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@KristenLe Same here. Although I do experience some mild dumping symptoms if I eat too much fat or carbs.

I was also torn as my surgeon said both would work for me. I decided on the bypass finally. Mostly because of the years of data to back it up. Also, my insurance only will cover once. If I decided to go from sleeve to revision to the bypass it would be out of my pocket.

I was also torn as my surgeon said both would work for me. I decided on the bypass finally. Mostly because of the years of data to back it up. Also, my insurance only will cover once. If I decided to go from sleeve to revision to the bypass it would be out of my pocket.

That's how I'm feeling too. I can't afford two surgeries

I've decided on sleeve. My highest weight was 341. Arthritis runs in my family, so having the option of using NSAIDs was attractive to me. I don't have significant reflux or other comorbidities.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@daniotra I'm not allowed NSAIDs with my sleeve. I suppose every surgeon has a different opinion about using them.

@@daniotra I'm not allowed NSAIDs with my sleeve. I suppose every surgeon has a different opinion about using them.

yes - some surgeons are now recommending that VSG patients avoid NSAIDs as well.

@@hernewselfie

At 22 there is no way in hell I would go with bypass and have to deal with malabsorption issues for the rest of my life. Too many years in front of you.

I started out at about your weight and I have lost almost 130 pounds is less than a year. You are a lot younger than me, it should come off you even faster.

My Dr said the sleeve is a better option for young active patients. They use the bypass on older, inactive people.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Also later on, if you are like 50 and you regain a ton of weight, you can revise to DS.

Once you have bypass there is nothing to revise to right now. If you fail at it, you just failed. And people regain all the time with bypass, just like everything else.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I was 23 when I had the bypass and now, almost 10 months out, I'm doing really well. Just had another blood test, and everything is perfect. We'll see how I'm doing 5, 10, 20 years from now but really, though there is a higher chance of malabsorption, that in no way pre-determines that you will have malabsorption. I would be seeing deficiencies by now if I had them, especially since my vitamin/supplement-taking has been spotty recently as I'm trying to find a chewable Calcium that doesn't make me gag. I've never heard any doctor or patient talk about the sleeve being for younger patients and the bypass being for older patients. In fact, most of the younger people I know who have had wls chose bypass because they wanted the extra accountability, longer weight loss period, and not have to worry about wanting a revision as so many sleevers do down the road, while most of the older people in my support groups went with the sleeve.

Ahhh everyone's opinions make me so confused. I thought I was set on bypass now people have me second guessing [emoji17]

both are good surgeries. It's really a personal decision - there are pros and cons with either. Just do your research and also see if your surgeon recommends one over the other.

@@hernewselfie when all is said and done, people have success with either surgery. It's up to you to decide if you want more accountability, longer weight loss period, no need to revise, or if you want safer, less restrictive, less surgery time, less long-term data. Realistically speaking, there isn't a huge discrepancy between the two surgeries concerning most of these things. "safer" means a fraction of 1% safer. "Less surgery time" means 30-60 minutes less surgery time. The main differences between them that matter in the end are a need to revise, the amount of restriction you want or feel you need to be successful, and whether you're willing to need to take a couple Vitamins a day for the rest of your life. Either way, you will be successful if you do what your plan requires of you. So you play it safe and get the sleeve if that is something that concerns you, or you take a risk and get the bypass, knowing that it is a step beyond the sleeve and wanting that extra step. Good luck to you!

@@hernewselfie when all is said and done, people have success with either surgery. It's up to you to decide if you want more accountability, longer weight loss period, no need to revise, or if you want safer, less restrictive, less surgery time, less long-term data. Realistically speaking, there isn't a huge discrepancy between the two surgeries concerning most of these things. "safer" means a fraction of 1% safer. "Less surgery time" means 30-60 minutes less surgery time. The main differences between them that matter in the end are a need to revise, the amount of restriction you want or feel you need to be successful, and whether you're willing to need to take a couple Vitamins a day for the rest of your life. Either way, you will be successful if you do what your plan requires of you. So you play it safe and get the sleeve if that is something that concerns you, or you take a risk and get the bypass, knowing that it is a step beyond the sleeve and wanting that extra step. Good luck to you!

Thank you so much. you've been a great help!

yes - some surgeons are now recommending that VSG patients avoid NSAIDs as well.

Yes, I've heard this. NSAIDs undeniably do make someone more prone to ulcers. I still like having the option open (at least for now, per my program's recommendations).

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

There is no "need" to revise a sleeve (except for severe gerd or acid reflux). The need is in revising your eating habits. Most people who have gotten sleeve revisions could not control their eating. In either case, if you cannot/do not change your eating habits, it doesn't matter which procedure you get.

Edited by her1981