Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve / Day Surgery

If I didn't have a desk job I probably wouldn't have been able to return so quickly. I wouldn't recommend anyone going back to work until the absolutely feel well enough.

Sent from my XT1080 using the BariatricPal App

I had day surgery, as did my sister. Until I started reading the blogs, I didn't realize how uncommon that was. We knew from the beginning it would be that way, unless there were complications or issues. We were done back to back, the first two of the day, and the only ones getting sleeved (everyone else that day were getting bands). We were in by 8, and headed home by 2-3 p.m. We did the leak test immediately following surgery, after which, we were in recovery. There, we consumed liquids, and got up frequently to walk. Once we were deemed ok, we were discharged. Our next appointment was one week later where our inclusions were checked, and the tape removed. Neither of us had an issue with the process. We rather preferred it that way.

I was sleeved on May 9th and was in the hospital for 4 days! I couldn't keep Water down for the first 3 days and they just kept me an extra day just in case...I have never heard of anyone going home the same day...that's very strange

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App

I was so out of it from the pain meds and I was so nauseous the first day- that I pretty much slept the entire day, and my swallow study was postponed to the next day. I ended up spending an extra night in the hospital mostly due to the nausea and not being able to keep anything down (including that nasty crap that I had to drink for the swallow study!) I had to tell the nurse or tech or whatever that she better run and get me a cup or something, because it wasn't going to stay down. I don't think I would have survived if I went home the same day as my surgery lol.

I was sleeved on May 9th and was in the hospital for 4 days! I couldn't keep Water down for the first 3 days and they just kept me an extra day just in case...I have never heard of anyone going home the same day...that's very strange

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App

I think it really depends on how well your body recovers right after surgery. I was very blessed to only have mild discomfort and pretty much zero pain. My surgery was at 8am and was awake and walking around by 11am. I was able to sip all my Water with no issues so by 3pm I was out of there! Leak test was done in the OR so I'm sure that's another reason why I got to leave early.

I had surgery on Thursday Morning and was discharged Saturday afternoon. My surgeon did a leak test in the OR and had a second one done Friday morning after which was allowed small sips of Water

What is the Barium swallow

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It's when you are given this colored liquid to drink and make sure there are no leaks in your new stomach. Not all surgeons do it that way though. My surgeon performed the leak test in the operating room. So thankful mine was done that way because everyone one says the the barium swallow is a horrible experience.