Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The feast before the famine...

I've got about 3 weeks before pre-op diet starts...am I the only one who is obsessed with having all the favorite foods one last time?LOL

Okay I know it's not the last time forever - but it's like I'm Kobe Bryant going on the season long farewell tour to every restaurant I love.

Sigh...must get it together.

Oh yes! This happened to me! For a week before starting my liquid diet all I could think was: Im going to eat a big bowl of Pasta on my last night. Guess what happened? The day before my liquid diet arrived and just the thought of eating pasta made me ill. I ended uuop starting the diet earlier and going to bed...

Yeah I did that. food funerals we call them here, do a search and you will find many a post about them.

There are mixed opinions on them and whether they are a sign you aren't ready psychologically. But I admit to doing them--I didn't binge or anything, I had enough therapy to have a better relationship with food than that by then. But I went to some restaurants and sampled.

Didn't seem to have any impact on my progress long term. I lost all my weight and have maintained well for a year and a half now.

Im thinking of my food funeral and I'm still 3 months from even submitting my paperwork to my insurances.. ???? its like i need to eat all the things now cause it's going to be a definite no no later on. I haven't quite acted out on those feelings, but they are there

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

So I did this and I gained so much weight prior to my surgery and guess what I had to loose even more when it came down to my pre op diet . Yes have your favriote food because come on we love food but don't over do it or i feel it's going to be harder in the long run :/

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

So I did this and I gained so much weight prior to my surgery and guess what I had to loose even more when it came down to my pre op diet . Yes have your favriote food because come on we love food but don't over do it or i feel it's going to be harder in the long run :/

You were required to lose a certain amount during your pre op?

Yes!! For my insurance I had to do 3 months of nutritionist and I gained like 5 pounds after he first meeting and thy told me if I didn't loose what I had gained the insurance wouldn't cover me . Then they usually require some type of pre op diet . I have read some people get to eat some meals but most of them are pure liquid .the amount of weeks differentiate but I got 3 weeks and I had to loose 25 pounds (7 % of my body weight ) before surgery and I only have lost 20 so far

I was told that if I gained 1lb for the monthly visits that my insurance would disqualify me and would have to start over. I had one last day of indulgence once I got my surgery date. I wasnt about to risk 6 months of dieting for a few days of food funerals. Btw, I lost 40 lbs and morning of the surgery I was exactly what the surgeon wanted me at.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I had intended to have a food funeral a week before my surgery (no pre-op diet required).

My 'last hurrah' that day ended up amounting to 2 crispy risotto bites and half of a breadstick from Olive Garden, then later, one small egg roll and a bowl of wonton Soup.

I guess I was ready...

Yes!! For my insurance I had to do 3 months of nutritionist and I gained like 5 pounds after he first meeting and thy told me if I didn't loose what I had gained the insurance wouldn't cover me . Then they usually require some type of pre op diet . I have read some people get to eat some meals but most of them are pure liquid .the amount of weeks differentiate but I got 3 weeks and I had to loose 25 pounds (7 % of my body weight ) before surgery and I only have lost 20 so far

Wow my insurance didn't require any weight loss or maintenance, just the documented attempts in the past.

Not all docs require a pre op diet either and it varies widely from doc to doc. Some of the recent studies show no difference in weight loss between those who have the diet and those who don't. Some argue it's to shrink the liver, others argue it isn't long enough to be effective in doing that. Some argue it gets you in the right mindset to be successful. It's a bit controversial. Usually people who have done it argue in favor and vice Versa.

But I think docs or Insurance requiring a certain amount of weight to be lost pre op are in the minority.

I was told that if I gained 1lb for the monthly visits that my insurance would disqualify me and would have to start over. I had one last day of indulgence once I got my surgery date. I wasnt about to risk 6 months of dieting for a few days of food funerals. Btw, I lost 40 lbs and morning of the surgery I was exactly what the surgeon wanted me at.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

What insurance? I haven't heard much of that until this thread. I have heard of doctors requiring t but not insurance.

Glad neither my doc or insurance required it. That said, even with my food funerals and no pre op diet, I was down four pounds between my first pre op and Surgery date six weeks later.

I ve done a food funeral but to be honest I think if you do a food funeral you are going to shoot yourself in the foot. I ve craved for some bacon and a slice of victoria sponge with custard. And that was all. In the long run we can still enjoy those foods just not like before.

I had a food funeral..

The day before i started my pre op diet.. we went to my favourite place and ate a full 3 courses... i called it my "last supper"...

We even took pictures of my last bite with all the empty plates surrounding.

I took that pic to mark an end of an era.... and the start of a next one.

Now that i am post op... i love that picture... i look at it and im much bigger... it reminds me that all that food is what got me there.

So i use it as a motivational thing.

I'm the type that needs closure... and that one night was enough for me

I ve done a food funeral but to be honest I think if you do a food funeral you are going to shoot yourself in the foot. I ve craved for some bacon and a slice of victoria sponge with custard. And that was all. In the long run we can still enjoy those foods just not like before.

Shooting yourself in the foot in what way? I'm truly curious? Because you may gain an extra couple of pounds and have to lose those too? Because it will trigger cravings post op and make it harder? Because you've given up habits already and you will have to start over?

Like I said, I did them and in my own personal experience I really don't think it changed my journey in any way. I was really strict the entire losing period and lost 136lbs in a year down to 17% body fat. Many of the foods I still haven't added back into my diet, some because I don't crave them anymore, some because I crave them too much if I start and some because they upset my stomach. So I don't regret those food funerals.

I became an athlete and continue to be successful now over two and a half years out. But I'm always willing to go back and re evaluate whether it affected me in some way I wasn't aware of. So I'd love to hear what you think the affect might be.

Btw--beautiful crane pose in your profile pic! Is that you?