Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my fifth month appt today and the surgeon scheduled me for July 18. Six month appt is June 28 and he will submit to insurance then but wanted to pencil me in now. Sh*t is getting real :-)

On a side note I spoke with Anthem today just to make sure I was on track. The guy did say the six months is to ensure non surgical efforts are unable to work so that if I do drop below 40 BMI that would disqualify me because it means non surgical efforts did work. Seems silly that I will now be trying not to lose too much before it is submitted to insurance. I am right on the cusp since having lost about 10 pounds.

July 18 is my date, also! Actually, tomorrow WAS my date but i have a terrible chest cold. When the anesthesia nurse called this morning, she listened to me cough and said I'd have to cancel. Honestly I feel crappy enough that I am OK with this- can't imagine having surgery on top of how I feel now- but I've finished 14 days of liquids-only pre-surgery diet only to not be having surgery! I know it's the smartest decision, though.

Be reallyreallyreally careful about your weight and BMI. I had to make sure not to lose too much weight between my initial appointment weigh-in and the weigh-in 3 months later, when I met with the surgeon. Most insurances take the initial weigh in, but mine wanted the weigh-in on the day of meeting the surgeon. It's a catch-22. The program says "lose X pounds by this date to show you can stick to the diet" but they KNOW if you go below a 40 BMI that the insurance wouldn't approve the surgery. Anyhow... you know all this and you'll watch your diet carefully, because after waiting 6 months, you deserve to have your surgery!

Oh man, I'm sorry you had to reschedule. The insurance piece of this is crazy but will be worth it in the end.

Nice to know someone on the same day as me :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Oh man, I'm sorry you had to reschedule. The insurance piece of this is crazy but will be worth it in the end.

Nice to know someone on the same day as me :)

Thanks. Today, I am really OK with rescheduling. It felt kind-of "end of the world-ish" for awhile yesterday, but today although I am feeling better I'm still coughing up gunk so it was the wisest decision. Also, we have several family issues happening and now I can deal with them rather than be stuck here at home because of travel restriction while my husband attends a memorial service, a family wedding, etc. I am far more calm in my mind about this now.

We can hold cyber-hands and keep each other motivated until July 18th!!

Edited by leebick

Great attitude! Plus now you know you can handle the pre-op diet! Did you lose a lot of weight on that? Mine is just one week but liquid only.

Mine was liquid only, from high Protein whey isolate shakes, unsweetened almond milk, cannon light and fit greek yogurt, and the occasional healthy choice Soup, for 2 weeks. It was probably about 600 calories a day. As much as I don't love the idea of doing two weeks of liquids-only, you are right, now I know I can do it. I think I lost about 20 pounds on it, give or take. I am down about 35 pounds since the beginning of 2016, and I know I lost 10 of that by my surgeon meet-n-greet on March 23rd, so the rest came off between then and now; not sure how much of it was careful eating (probably not much, lol- there's a pretty incriminating pic of me on FB, enjoying a 32 oz Flirtini- or 3- on Mother's Day!) and how much was the pre-op. I am a little scared about keeping it all off and losing more before surgery, but I'm working on an eating plan to help with that. Right now I am thinking Protein Shakes for b'fast and lunch, very low carb/high protein dinner supplemented with plenty of veggies. We'll see.