Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will the "full" feeling return?

All is going pretty well with my recovery. I'm 20 days post op- and I can tolerate everything in my soft foods diet stage,with the exception of scrambled eggs. My question is when will I regain that full feeling? I pre measure everything as to not go over what I can handle. I'm just waiting to actually feel full or satisfied. Currently I don't feel much of anything, no hunger, no fullness.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you fir your response. My surgeon said that the "full" feeling is what helps you loose weight. Learning how to eat slowly, and trigger that satiated full feeling is what I should aim for. I know every surgeon is so different and has different guidelines.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have to say that's one definite perk about the surgery that I love so far is I don't have to worry about that horrible full feeling at least not right now as long as you stick to your portions you'll never feel stuffed or full you'll "feel satisfied" and it will last for hours and as long as you keep drinking your fluids and getting recommended Protein in the intervals your NUT gave you, you'll never realize that you're hungry.

Sent from my KFSAWI using the BariatricPal App

I have to say that's one definite perk about the surgery that I love so far is I don't have to worry about that horrible full feeling at least not right now as long as you stick to your portions you'll never feel stuffed or full you'll "feel satisfied" and it will last for hours and as long as you keep drinking your fluids and getting recommended Protein in the intervals your NUT gave you, you'll never realize that you're hungry.

Sent from my KFSAWI using the BariatricPal App

I would love to have a satisfied feeling- I just feel nothing. It's like I never even ate anything. It's strange. I have had that tight feeling after having too much, but that was early on the first couple times I tried actual food. Obviously I'll stick with what my NUT advises but I can have a half cup food no problem.

This may be one of the most important changes since surgery for me.

After years, I just don't get the drastic swings of "im so hungry... I'm so full"... Like I felt pre surgery .

More like yes, I need to eat something ... Or I don't need to eat right now.

MUCH different feelings of hunger and satiety.

It took me a long time to recognize these were so radically different from the

"before" part of my life.

I'm thankful, because it allowed me to think differently about food... I would not have believed that pre- band.

The full feeling generally happens when you transition into the solid stage. Also become very aware of the strange symptoms that come just before you are full. These are things like sneezing, hiccups, mucous buildup, instant food taste changes. They are warning signs for dumping syndrome.

Everyone is different. I agree that you will find that the sensations will change once you're on completely solid, normal food. You will have to learn what the feeling just before full is, and stop there. Truly full is awful, painful, and in the early stages, dangerous to the health of your pouch.

Hang in there. Keep working the program and it will happen. If for some weird reason it doesn't, talk with your doctor! Good luck!

I hate the full feeling.

I prefer to slowly eat the amounts I should and stop.

Meal is over. Check the time and note when my 30-45 minute window has passed before drinking Water.

"Full" is definitely different after surgery but "satisfied" will likely come when you start to eat more dense meats. But caution to pay attention to portion sizes. Some days I can eat more than others. Don't eat for more than 30 minutes and stick with your portion sizes recommended by your NUT. You are still new at this. Promise it gets easier / better.

I probably should have clarified. I'm not really looking to feel full. But right now I feel nothing. No hunger, which is great. Also when I eat it doesn't even feel like I have anything in my stomach, I have zero sensation in my belly. I'm transitioning to solid foods, fish, soft fruits and veggies. I guess what I'm concerned about is that I will have a tendency to graze if I'm not feeling like I have anything in my stomach.

@@Lisa1996 - Not gonna lie. It definitely takes discipline (which most of us didn't have pre-op - well I know I didn't!). Some days are better than others. Transitioning to denser foods (which you aren't to yet) will help. Meanwhile, I find my stomach will growl (or gurgle) sometimes when I am just thirsty, so make sure you get fluids - it will help.

You just gotta hang in there! The first 6 weeks or so can be difficult as you figure things out but you will hit a stride and never look back!

@@Daisee68 , That makes sense! I'm just paranoid that I will never have any stomach sensation again. It's a process I know. Day by day, week by week.

Just remember, this will eventually be a new normal. Your stomach will not be the same as it was before--ever. You will not feel the same as you did before. Your relationship with food will need to change. Now is the time to examine your old eating habits and see what you need to throw out and what new habits you need to establish.

Don't be paranoid. Keep educating yourself and listening to your body.

My husband had the surgery in 2006. He lost a lot of weight, then regained a lot of it because he reverted back to old habits. It was the biggest thing that kept me from having my surgery before I did. When I knew it was my ONLY chance to beat my Type II diabetes, I had to give up my paranoid fear and go with it. I'm glad I did. When I start to slip, I stop, take a deep breath, and get back on track. We've had two very different experiences, and now I realize we can have two quite different outcomes. (He's also going to work on re-training his pouch.)

You're doing great. Hang in there!