Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op woman on the pill question

Hello. I was just sleeved almost 2 wks ago. On another group someone was saying that if you are on the pill it's harder to lose weight. Can any veterans shed some light on this? I have been on the pill for almost 6 yrs and I am praying that it's not going to make it harder for me to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

FYI -- The pill is unreliable after bariatric surgery, your surgeon should have advised that you use a second form of birth control. Once I learned that, I stopped taking the pill entirely.

I do not see why the pill would be ineffective with sleeve surgery. You do become more fertile after WLS - but the pill should be effective in preventing pregnancy (unless you are often vomiting). It could be an issue with Bypass because of the malabsorption.

I do not see why the pill would be ineffective with sleeve surgery. You do become more fertile after WLS - but the pill should be effective in preventing pregnancy (unless you are often vomiting). It could be an issue with Bypass because of the malabsorption.

Ok that's exactly what I was thinking, maybe with bypass but with the sleeve I am still absorbing pills. I was able to continue taking my pills the whole time even the day of surgery (didn't need to I was on the sugar pills). My dr never mentioned that I shouldn't take the pill anymore. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks good to know!

Sent from my SM-G928C using the BariatricPal App

I started back on the pill a month post op. No unexpected complications. My OBGYN did tell me my period were going to be more irregular due to the rapid weight lose, but they should even out know that I am 10 months post op with the weight lose slowing down. No,issues with the pill in her opinion though.

I started back on the pill a month post op. No unexpected complications. My OBGYN did tell me my period were going to be more irregular due to the rapid weight lose, but they should even out know that I am 10 months post op with the weight lose slowing down. No,issues with the pill in her opinion though.

Thanks. I didn't have to stop taking mine at all. Amazing how all drs have different "requirements"

Really? I'm 10 days post surgery ... my doctor told me being on the pill is absolutely fine...now I'm freaking out!

Don't trip potato chip. If your doctor said it's okay, it probably is. As far as losing, you will definitely lose weight although for me, and I'm phat, my health is more of the concern so I don't let the scale define me. Thank God! Everyone loses at a different pace. At my week check up I had dropped 22 pounds. I have NO IDEA what I've dropped since then. (I'm just starting my 4th week postop). I really don't care, I just know I'm going in the right direction. Good luck girl!

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I was on the pill for about 5 years then post op I was noticing my period was off by a week, my OBGYN told me it was because my body had gone through a shock and now it's try to recooperate. She said i lost 20% of my body weight so my body is trying to catch up with making 20% more hormones, so she suggested IUD would be best for me.

Really? I'm 10 days post surgery ... my doctor told me being on the pill is absolutely fine...now I'm freaking out!

Don't trip potato chip. If your doctor said it's okay, it probably is. As far as losing, you will definitely lose weight although for me, and I'm phat, my health is more of the concern so I don't let the scale define me. Thank God! Everyone loses at a different pace. At my week check up I had dropped 22 pounds. I have NO IDEA what I've dropped since then. (I'm just starting my 4th week postop). I really don't care, I just know I'm going in the right direction. Good luck girl!

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I was more concerned about getting pregnant than the weight issue!

Well done to your weight loss