Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hard time drinking water?

Hello, so I am 4 weeks out from surgery and feeling naesous all the time, even when I drink Water. I have tried crystal light and dont really care for it. I actually love water! Has anyone else had this problem?

Sent from my SM-G925P using the BariatricPal App

I loved drinking Water before surgery. But immediately afterwards when I was in the hospital, the Water began to taste very chlorinated. So I stopped drinking it a lot.

Some people like their drinks cold, some hot. So you might try adding ice to the water. Or use hot water to make tea or decaffeinated coffee. If you can tolerate milk, you might rely on that. During the cold winter months, I found that I enjoyed hot cocoa but it must be the "no sugar added" variety.

I loved drinking Water before surgery. But immediately afterwards when I was in the hospital, the Water began to taste very chlorinated. So I stopped drinking it a lot.

Some people like their drinks cold, some hot. So you might try adding ice to the water. Or use hot water to make tea or decaffeinated coffee. If you can tolerate milk, you might rely on that. During the cold winter months, I found that I enjoyed hot cocoa but it must be the "no sugar added" variety.

Thank you... I will try hot tea and see if this helps :)

Sent from my SM-G925P using the BariatricPal App

Changing temperatures helped me a lot too, but what helped me more with my Water nausea was switching to distilled Water. Spring water is basically tap water, and tap water is.. well, I'm sure you know all the grossness that is in our tap water. I never really minded it before surgery, but after surgery, it tasted really gross and made me really nauseous, so I explored other ways to get my water in. Since switching to distilled water, I feel a lot better. It tastes like pure water with no other yuckies in it, and never bothers my stomach. That being said, it's possible that you may have some stomach cramping or nausea from food and liquids in general for a while. It became better when I switched to distilled, but didn't go away until about 6 months post op. Now I feel great. I hope you have similar improvements soon. :)

I have hard time drinking cold drinks, I have to have warm... Unfortunately not my preference but that's the only way I can get my liquids in, so I try to stick to herbal Decaf teas, I can tolerate ProtiDiet Water flavoring but crystal light even diluted didn't taste good to me, I haven't tried all different flavors yet. Hope your nausea goes away, it's not s good feeling.

It's a matter of finding the fluids you like. I'm fine with Water but get bored, so I usually make warm tea, or maybe not so good advice I get a large iced tea at mcdonalds and I know that's half my day's goal if I finish the whole cup, then I'll refill it with another Fluid later so I know I hit my daily goal. I also do that with large Water bottles, I'll drink one and know I need to drink one more of the same filled.

I felt that way when I had an ulcer. Once treated with medication the ulcer and the feeling went away. You may wish to schedule an endoscopy just to rule it out. Ulcers can get considerably worse left untreated, but they're often a post-op easy fix with meds.