Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

Can people who have gone through the surgery let me know how bad your Hair loss was?

I have my rny coming up on June 6th and I'm getting married at the end of November. Other than religiously getting all your Protein and Vitamins in, do you have any suggestions? Have any of you used Biotin?

Thanks!

I had minimal hair loss after surgery. I am 3 years post-op RNY surgery and I am 67 years old.

About a decade ago I started using a supplement called Juvenon which was available for purchase over the internet. I took this product because it dramatically improved my breathing. One of the side benefits of this product was that it affected my hair. At the time I was beginning to go bald and my hair was turning white. This product stopped this Hair loss and also moved the hair coloring back to gray/brown. This product does contain Biotin but I suspect that the other ingredients in the supplement play a more important role.

10 months out RNY. I'd say I've lost over 1/2 hair, and I had SUPER thick hair to start with. No amount of Vitamins, shampoos or Protein will stop it. I was told it slows around month 6, but it hasnt. I also hear it can keep falling out until your weight loss levels out. One lady I knew said it took two years for it to grow back. The Hair loss is real, it's devastating and i've done every single thing by the book. I wish I was to the point in my journey where I can tell you it comes back, but I'm still losing a lot at ten months out.

I am terrified about this! I am already balding due to genetics. It is bad. I can only imagine what I will look like after surgery. It may make me completely bald! I am not ready to be 100% bald!

I noticed the last couple days my Hair loss has slowed slightly, but not much. My hormones are completely out of whack. I'm 10 months out, but might take until my weight loss completely stabilizes until I notice more of a difference.

I agree with Stefanie, I too had super thick hair, the hairloss started around month 2.5-3 and its finally basically stopped at month 6, it was hard but there really wasn't anything I could do about it. No amount of Protein, Biotin or special shampoos made a difference, I finally just gave in a cut my hair to about shoulder length which made it more manageable.

I just heard of someone using Vitamins called hair la vie, they had not had surgery but thinning hair, did an excellent job of improving their hair.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

It's worth losing hair over. You can't hide being obese, you can hide Hair loss. There's nothing that's going to prevent it-no Vitamin, supplement, or Shampoo. I've tried them all :( I've had very thick hair all my life and have lost half of it. I can see a bunch of little one inch hairs coming in.

I started shedding at 3 months and, I think (fingers crossed), it's starting to slow down-6 months.

Prepare yourself for the worst case scenario and focus on this. Wigs, wiglets, spray on fibers, etc. I'm using a product people use to hide their roots. I spray it on the thinner area's. I also have a product that coats each hair strand with fibers to make it appear thicker. I haven't used this yet but I've heard people have had good results.

@@psvzum what is the name of the spray? I'm worried about this also cuz I'm already noticeably thin. From what I've read that makes me less likely to have it grow back. I have been taking Biotin and already bought a topper (3/4 wig) in preparation.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@j16 There's a bunch you can use. If you go to a CVS or Walgreens look in the hair coloring section for "root concealers" or "root touch ups". They look like little spray bottles. One I like that isn't overly expensive is:

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod6481430#

There's also products that coat your hair with little fibers giving it the illusion of being less sparce. An example is this:

https://www.amazon.com/TOPPIK-Hair-Building-Fibers-Brown/dp/B000CBVAQ0

I prefer the root touch up spray just because it's easier. I tried Toppik last week after I rn out of the root concealer. I was in a hurry and when I applied it, I made a mess. It definately concealed the thinness though. Just takes a little practice.

Also, don't waste your money ($120.00 for the 3 step "system") on Aveeda Invati. It claims to reduce Hair loss by 33%. I started using it right after my surgery and still lost half my hair.