Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

JUDDD AKA alternate day fasting after sleeve surgery

Hey yall! Has any one done JUDDD after surgery? If so, how did you go about it, in terms of up day cals and down day cals?

I used it to break stalls in my previous diets and it works fabulously! I got to my goal weight doing JUDDD almost 2-3 years ago.

So I'd like to use it once again to prevent stalls and/or work through stalls again.

Here's a link if anyone would like to look it up: http://www.johnsonupdaydowndaydiet.com/html/how-to-do-the-diet.html

Ever since surgery, I have been moving to cycles like this. I did not know there was an official technique or method for it, because my approach to long-term wellness game for my own body is a little different. But I find myself intuitively alternating with fasting and then I'll bring my calories dramatically and then moderating and then fasting, and starting the cycle over. I intuitively know when I stop losing weight. It never has anything to do with food really-it has more to do with my body needing a breather, or to be replenished with extra fats and nutrients that it needs to burn and redistribute the body fat that's coming off. It seems to be working, because I'm melting away!

P.S. When I fast, that usually consists of drinking coffee all day with Protein Powder in it. Lightened with organic real half-and-half, and sweetened with organic Stevia. When my body wants food again, it lets me know with very strong cravings.

I know someone on IG that is doing it to break a stall at almost a year out.

I think early on, the first 6 months any kind of fasting is dangerous, just because its so hard to meet goals anyway.

Fasting like this is a tool to break people of bad habits. Being sleeved should do it for you. You don't have to diet, your calories are already limited. I think keeping up dieting habits after surgery is a bad idea.

The idea is that your 500 calorie day balances out your high calorie day and eventually you stop eating as much on your high calorie day because the low calorie day teaches you discipline. This is a lesson you learn with the sleeve, you don't need a fasting rotation to teach yourself this like a person that hasn't had WLS. Every day with the sleeve is a low calorie day unless you go off plan and purposely try to eat more.

The only fasting I would consider post sleeve is limiting the hours that you eat in a day, once you can easily meet your Protein goals. Since I can easily meet my goals, I try to eat in a 8-10 hour time window, just because it stops me from eating late at night. Everyone fasts when they sleep anyway, so extending that fasting window isn't a big deal.

I think early on, the first 6 months any kind of fasting is dangerous, just because its so hard to meet goals anyway.

Fasting like this is a tool to break people of bad habits. Being sleeved should do it for you. You don't have to diet, your calories are already limited. I think keeping up dieting habits after surgery is a bad idea.

The idea is that your 500 calorie day balances out your high calorie day and eventually you stop eating as much on your high calorie day because the low calorie day teaches you discipline. This is a lesson you learn with the sleeve, you don't need a fasting rotation to teach yourself this like a person that hasn't had WLS. Every day with the sleeve is a low calorie day unless you go off plan and purposely try to eat more.

The only fasting I would consider post sleeve is limiting the hours that you eat in a day, once you can easily meet your Protein goals. Since I can easily meet my goals, I try to eat in a 8-10 hour time window, just because it stops me from eating late at night. Everyone fasts when they sleep anyway, so extending that fasting window isn't a big deal.

For me, it isn't about breaking bad habits. It's about having options and tools. Just like the sleeve, JUDDD is a tool for me to utilize when and if I can. And since I wont be on 500 calories for the rest of my life, I still like to keep things flexible. I asked to see if anyone had incorporated it into their life to see where they're calories are fitting in.

When I last did JUDDD, I did it for months. I ate high cals on my high days the whole time because I knew the next day, a down day, I'd be crazy hungry.

We are still dieting regardless of the sleeve. We have to be mindful of carbs, Protein, etc and keep those in track with our plans. That's exactly what a diet is. But with the sleeve, we are limited in terms of portions.

Thanks for responding though! I appreciate it.

Anyone with experience with JUDDD, what are your calories looking like if you are doing JUDDD?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Ever since surgery, I have been moving to cycles like this. I did not know there was an official technique or method for it, because my approach to long-term wellness game for my own body is a little different. But I find myself intuitively alternating with fasting and then I'll bring my calories dramatically and then moderating and then fasting, and starting the cycle over. I intuitively know when I stop losing weight. It never has anything to do with food really-it has more to do with my body needing a breather, or to be replenished with extra fats and nutrients that it needs to burn and redistribute the body fat that's coming off. It seems to be working, because I'm melting away!

Yay! Congrats! What are your calories looking like on your up and down days?

For me, it isn't about breaking bad habits. It's about having options and tools. Just like the sleeve, JUDDD is a tool for me to utilize when and if I can. And since I wont be on 500 calories for the rest of my life, I still like to keep things flexible. I asked to see if anyone had incorporated it into their life to see where they're calories are fitting in.

When I last did JUDDD, I did it for months. I ate high cals on my high days the whole time because I knew the next day, a down day, I'd be crazy hungry.

We are still dieting regardless of the sleeve. We have to be mindful of carbs, Protein, etc and keep those in track with our plans. That's exactly what a diet is. But with the sleeve, we are limited in terms of portions.

Thanks for responding though! I appreciate it.

Anyone with experience with JUDDD, what are your calories looking like if you are doing JUDDD?

My response was based on this book and the trial that went along with the book.

They found that over time, people didn't eat a lot on their high calorie days because they learned to cope with fewer calories on the low calories days and it carried over. They didn't binge on those days, after they got adjusted to the diet.

http://www.healthista.com/fasting-diets-krista-varadyscience-research-studies-52-diets/

The reason Alternate Day Fasting (ADF) works in her research she says is that when subjects fast every other day, they experience a hunger-reducing effect on the feed day.

‘We don’t know the mechanism exactly, whether it’s the stomach shrinking or something else, but what we find is that if you’re fasting one day and then the next day you get to eat whatever you want, for some reason people don’t binge on that feed day. They end up eating only about 110 per cent of their needs and that leads them to lose weight,’ says Varady.

Calorie cycling when you calories are already really limited seems pointless. I do think fasting is a great tool.

If it helps you, good luck.

I just used the little chart in the link, and my down days calories is what I normally eat in a day, lol. I wouldn't know what to set my down days to....maybe like 500?

I actually seem to do this naturally somewhat already in maintenence. My "down" days are my "I'm just not very hungry" days.

@@Babbs

Yeah basically, I have 2 or 3 days a week where it is a real struggle to get in enough calories and Protein because I just don't care.

I think keeping up dieting habits after surgery is a bad idea.

yes, this! please take this surgery as a whole new opportunity to learn to have a healthy attitude with food and your body!

Why are you doing this?

Do you think you're not losing enough weight fast enough post-op?