Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing hair/hope/everything but weight

Friends,

I am at the end of my rope and I truly need some help. I am 6 months out, having started at 370 (I'm 5'4). I've lost 60 pounds, and it's slowed to the point where I'm barely losing 4 pounds a month.

I read several threads from people at my BMI having lost 100 + pounds in 6 months. In fact, almost EVERYONE with a high start weight like mine has lost more than 100+ in 6 months that I've seen.

I have come to the conclusion that I have failed at this. I am eating 800 cals a day or so, getting my Water in, doing at least 40 minutes of exercise a day. HOW the heck have I screwed this up? Today I saw my family, and it was obvious that to them, I look exactly as I did a year ago. I am so heartbroken I've failed at this, as I have with everything else I've tried.

Has anyone out there with a higher BMI lost as slowly as I have and still been successful in the long run? Please, tell me there's still hope.

You may not be eating enough. Especially if you are exercising.

My surgeon wants her patients during their main weightloss phase to be 900-1200 cals/day. I just had my metabolic rate tested, and my RMR has dropped as I've been well under 800 cals/day for a lot of the past three months. My RMR says I shouldn't have less than 1290 cals/day or shut my metabolism further.

Something to think about!

@@2goldengirl Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and for your advice. Where did you go to get your RMR tested and what kind of test was it?

@@2goldengirl Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and for your advice. Where did you go to get your RMR tested and what kind of test was it?

I'm fortunate to live close enough to UC Davis that I had it done at the Sports Medicine Clinic there. If you Google "RMR testing" and your geographic area, you can find places that do it near you.

But in the meantime, help your metabolism keep alive. Eat more!

My surgeon wants her patients during their main weightloss phase to be 900-1200 cals/day. I just had my metabolic rate tested, and my RMR has dropped as I've been well under 800 cals/day for a lot of the past three months. My RMR says I shouldn't have less than 1290 cals/day or shut my metabolism further.

How did you have your RMR tested?

I agree with the fact that you may not be eating enough. Your body may be holding on to that weight because it thinks you are starving. I would talk to your doctor about increasing your calories a little more and see if that helps. We all lose weight at a different pace :) You've not failed! You've got this!

Friends,

I am at the end of my rope and I truly need some help. I am 6 months out, having started at 370 (I'm 5'4). I've lost 60 pounds, and it's slowed to the point where I'm barely losing 4 pounds a month.

I read several threads from people at my BMI having lost 100 + pounds in 6 months. In fact, almost EVERYONE with a high start weight like mine has lost more than 100+ in 6 months that I've seen.

I have come to the conclusion that I have failed at this. I am eating 800 cals a day or so, getting my Water in, doing at least 40 minutes of exercise a day. HOW the heck have I screwed this up? Today I saw my family, and it was obvious that to them, I look exactly as I did a year ago. I am so heartbroken I've failed at this, as I have with everything else I've tried.

Has anyone out there with a higher BMI lost as slowly as I have and still been successful in the long run? Please, tell me there's still hope.

It is probably because you are eating "800 or so calories" and didn't even mention your Protein. You are probably not eating enough for your exercise intensity.

What is your Protein target? Are you getting at least that much every day?

Are you getting at least 64 oz of Fluid a day?

Are you taking your Vitamins and supplements as directed?

Are you avoiding added sugars (especially high fructose corn syrup), starches, and fried foods?

Have you talked to your NUT about your concerns?

If you are exercising every day are you mixing up your exercise and doing different things?

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Friends,

I haven't had surgery yet. June 6th is my date. I just wanted to say Hang In There and don't lose hope!! I've been on a pre diet for 6 months now, and I know I had to increase my calories for me to lose. I started the pre diet when I was at 380, I am now 356(my highest weight ever was 410). You can do this! :-)

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

@@carrie3101 You are not screwing this up and there's not a chance that you don't look different after a 60lb weight loss! That's a lot of weight - when's the last time you lost that much in just 6 months! Great job! I agree with the others about not enough calories and be sure it's Protein first - and if you have room produce. No Pasta, bread or rice. Good luck!

I am so with you. I'm two and mouths out and have totally stalled. I was losing so great but the last two weeks nothing. I'm positive it's because im suddenly struggling to get my Protein and calories. Not getting enough makes your body hold the calories. It's better to eat a bit more to ensure your body isn't in starvation mode.

I have the same starting weight as you.

How did you have your RMR tested?

I went to the UC Davis Sports Medicine Clinic. If you Google "RMR testing" and add your geographic area, you should be able to get places that do it.

You are averaging about 10 pounds per month, I think that's great! You have not failed. Like most have said, you may just need to tweek your eating plan to make sure you are getting enough calories, Protein and Water. Let your Bariatric team know what's going on...call them. I have noticed that sometimes family is the last to see our weight loss. In my case it seems to be people I see randomly, like the cashier at the grocery store or the dog groomer. Hang in there and be proud of what you have already accomplished!