Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you tell people at work

[My co-workers think I had a cyst removed. I've lost 41 lbs.

They must be thinking, "wow, that was one helluva cyst! LMAO!

Marieze

I told people the truth! If they're a bunch of snots and skinny ones to boot...who cares what they think? It's really none of their business. If you have to tell them something, tell them "It's a personal medical issue that I'd rather not discuss". And, if your insurance is paying for it...if you get paid for sick time - take it!

That's my vote....

Cindy

I only work with one other person for the last 18yrs....I did finially tell her...for anyone who sees me now and asks how I lost all that weight (111lbs) I tell them "day by day"--which is true!! For the rest of the world, other than close family and friends, its none of their business and I would not really add to my life or theirs with an explanation!! Thats not to say if someone asked for my help or opinion, I would not help!! Idle chit chat about life changes are fruitless....you really have to make up your own mind and BE READY to take action!!

I am proud of my decision to get healthy so I tell EVERYBODY! I even show them my incisions so they can see that the surgery wasn't so bad. I'm so happy I got my lap-band! I'm wearing a ring today that I bought myself before surgery (one size smaller) that finally fits! Hooray!!

I hear ya ghostbuster. I am self employed but I will have to tell my clients something. I am just going to tell them I am having surgery and it is private and hopefully they will respect that. I have one that is more of a friend and I told her and she is very very supportive. But I am picking and choosing who I tell. I don't think it will bother me, once it is done. But I just don't want to hear everyone input on it. I don't need to hear if you think I can do it on my own or not. Or just start walking or do this or do that. I have done my research and this is my fat ol body and this is what I think is best for me. So I haven't told many people not even all of my brothers and sisters or my wonderful in laws and I do mean that. LOL Only my one sister (who is the one who open the door on this whole thing), my hubby of course, my son (who I heard crap from about it, so he now is out of the loop and I won't talk to him about it anymore) and my best friend of 20 yrs. Thats all. Once weight comes off I may or may not tell them. I really think this is a personal choice and I don't need to tell the whole world my wieght issues. Plain and simple : )

I took two PTO days. Had surgery on Thursday and was back at work the following Monday (desk job)

People have begun to comment on my losses... but they've seen me go up and down the scale before......

This is how a conversation earlier this week went:

Hey Trace... I see your losing weight again. Doing your low carb AGAIN?

Me "Yup!"

another day: in the break room...

coworker: "What the heck are you eating with????"

me: "fancy shrimp fork"

everyone laughed

I said it is a "TECHNIQUE I'm trying to eat slower and smaller bites"

another day:

coworker: "Your losing weight again aren't you?"

me: "Yeah, I'm losing this fat ONE MORE TIME and thats IT!!!!!"

One person at work knows and that's it.

Only my husband and my mother know about the band. The rest I just told I was having a hernia repaired which was true. And before the surgery I played up the diet thing when people asked why I was eating so much salad. I just keep telling them that I'm trying to take it off not put it on.........they seem to repect that and leave me alone. I work in the field so I don't go into the office expect twice a month for meetings. I thought it would be harder to hide from family but actually no one has noticed that I eat less. I did have a bit of a problem after my first fill, I did not know I could only have liquids for the 2 days. I got my fill on a friday and we had plans to go to the lake house with friends that weekend. I stopped and got some chicken broth and told them that I heard if you drink broth before a meal you'll eat less. I even fixed my plate with real food and because they were all drinking they never noticed me chewing it up and spitting into my hand and tossing it into the woods. My husband and I had a big laugh on the way home. He promised to never take me to a fancy restaurant for fear I might throw my food under the table............ : ) ~ Gosh that was funny.

I told my colleagues that I was out of the office and that my MIL was in town (true, she is here for my surgery).

I did tell my boss and my HR person. It is very rare that I don't work when I am off (even on vac) so I made sure to tell them that I wouldn't be available and wouldn't be checking email.

As far as I'm concerned, it's nobody's business. I have enough things to worry about rather than having to worry about people judging me!:eek:

i have told everyone!!!! I manage a high end beauty supply & everyone that works for me and my bosses know and my customers everyone is very supportive. i get lots of support even from the snotty (skinny) people lol why hide it people will ask you questions but thats ok i feel i educate the un-educated when they realize its not the "EASY" way out and its a tool they are impressed

You should just tell those skinny beyoches to F-off and mind their own business. LOL! I would love to be a fly on the wall to see their faces!

Seven months ago I told my family, friends and coworkers I was starting on the road to banding. My family and friends were just great, wonderful and supportive.

My coworkers (four thin/average women), though, have been totally non-supportive of MY decision, telling me I can lose it on my own (I've only been trying for 40 years!) and using slight inuendos at lunch like saying "Oh, you won't be able to eat that after you have surgery".

They haven't deterred me (I see the surgeon on the 24th to schedule a date)--but after reading all the posts, I do wonder if I should've just not said a word and pretend it was something else.

At this point, we just avoid the subject altogether--they really will never understand.

I am so happy to have this forum and all of your support!!

I just found out today that I am approved for the Band. I work with about 25 women, several of whom have lost a lot of wt on WW. I feel ashamed that I have not been able to lose wt the "old fashioned" way. I don't know whether or not to tell people partly because I'm afraid to fail again. I appreciate all the insights people have shared on this thread. Thank you, I look forward to using this site for support.

hi Make,

When I read your post, I could see the majority of the women I work with reacting the same. I have chosen not to share the fact that I was banded 12 days ago with anyone in my department. Reading your words, has, sadly, reinforced that decision.

Good luck to you.....you are worth all the effort it is taking to achieve this goal.

Just had a typical instance at work yesterday. Someone was leaving and they were having a Breakfast down the hall. I went down to say hi. A lot of these folks I had not seen in months...since way before banding. As I walked up I got a lot of raised eyebrows from folks and a bunch came up to me and commented that I was losing so much weight and how was I doing it. I told them straight out. "I got a lapband and it was the best decision of my life!" Without exception the response was more questions about the procedure. One woman said "Hey, I saw an advertisement on that just this morning on TV!" Honestly folks....it's like karma....what you sow so shall you reap...I am perfectly comfortable telling people and you know what they all say? They say, "You are so bubbley now!" I am so positive about it and about everything, I have never gotten so much as a lukewarm response! Even if someone didn't like that for a decision for themselves, they are happy for me in my excitement and happiness!