Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you tell people at work

I posted a similar thread for the Sep. '07 bandsters but I wanted everyone to "weigh" in on the topic. What did you tell people at work? Did you tell them you were getting weight loss surgery? Just a "procedure"? Did you just take vacation time and not say anything? How did you deal with it. I work in tv and I think it would be humiliating to tell people here that I am getting weight loss surgery. They are very snotty (and skinny):help:. Please help!

I guess that I was a bit different. I did not tell anyone except my supervisor. I had a surgery on Friday and went back to work on Monday. I told my co-workers that I have choosen a new life which includes eating better and exercising. On a different note, my family does not even know. They did not support me in this decision so they, too, think it is food portion and exercise. Thank goodness I have been able to gain support from this resource and some friends. On the other hand, I hope to someday be able to tell my family-- besides the surgery is over and I look and feel good.

I work with alot of people and only 2 friends at work know of my journey and are very supportive. I will tell my boss I'm having a procedure but will not tell him the details (legally he can't ask). And I will tell everyone else that I'm taking vacation and ask for his support in telling folks I'm on vacation if asked. When my band and I have some time to get better acquaited I'm sure I'll be happy to share my story. But for now - this works for me.

What if sometime in the future you really do have to get your gallbladder removed? I had the same thought and then just told a few of my closest friends. I told my manager I was fine, healty, but would be having surgery and I would be out 2-3 weeks. I am in my last week of short term disability and return to work on Monday. Not sure how I will handle the endless questions about why I was out!

Good Point McKannan. Maybe I'll just go with the mysterious "procedure" approach. So you took off 2-3 weeks? Did you really need all of that time to recover, or was it mostly a luxery to have the time off?

I'm also telling people I'm having gallbladder surgery. I hate lying, but this is personal and I don't think it's anyone's business. If one day I need real gallbladder surgery - I guess i'll just have to pretend I'm having something else (ah what a tangled web we weave...).

Don't say gall bladder say hernia repair. That way if you ever need you gall bladder out you won't need to make up another story. Hernia repair also explains the liquid diet following surgery.

What if sometime in the future you really do have to get your gallbladder removed? I had the same thought and then just told a few of my closest friends. I told my manager I was fine, healty, but would be having surgery and I would be out 2-3 weeks. I am in my last week of short term disability and return to work on Monday. Not sure how I will handle the endless questions about why I was out!

A hiatal hernia repair results in the same exact scars. And a hiatal hernia can come back in the future. :)

Honestly, this last week I could have been working. But, my manager told me to take whatever the surgeon suggested, and since my company paid me for the whole time off, why not? I probably could have gone back after one week, b/c I sit at a computer all day. I had an issue with port pain the second week, so it was nice that I could rest. (I tried to do too much at home, laundry, cleaning, etc.)

I told my mom, sister and DH & kids. My co-workers think I had a cyst removed. I've lost 41 lbs and ppl have been asking what I've been doing..I just say "my bike and treadmill are my best friends!" I also tell them I try to stay around 1400 calories a day.

They seem to accept that and probably haven't put 2 & 2 together about the surgery and the weight loss.

I few in my office have made their opinions about WLS very clear and I just didn't want to have to deal with all that on a daily basis.

I told all of my co workers including my boss. I'm proud of the fact that after all my life of being overweight I did something about it. I'm still new just being banded on 7-25 but still feel great about my decision.

I told all of my co workers including my boss. I'm proud of the fact that after all my life of being overweight I did something about it. I'm still new just being banded on 7-25 but still feel great about my decision.

Attitude makes all the difference in the world when it comes to banding and you clearly have the right one!

I have to agree that lying isn't an option... not for me. I'm working on getting my surgery scheduled in a few weeks. I have to say that I agree with what Vicki said, "this is my body and no one's business". I think talking about this being a new day, a new leaf being turned over... whatever works in your normal speak. I'm not even telling most of my "friends". My brother, mother and two friends know about mine and that's it. And you know what? I'm good with that. It's no one's business and I have no desire for anyone's comments about WLS. Freedom has a cost......... what's it worth to you?

I informed everyone at work before I did the band (after I had my surgery date scheduled). Some of them said things like "Wow, do you feel you need that?" and I said "YEP! I sure do! It's the decision for me!" They have been very supportive. I learned the details of WLS from another person at work and that's what got be thinking about it in the first place. I bascially told everyone and also said if they had any friends who needed to get some info first hand to not hesitate to ask me. I still have people stopping me in the halls going "WOW! It is really coming off! What a change! You look so much younger!"

OHHH PULEEEEZ!!! If you work in TV you work in the entertainment business and that is the most surgery friendly, intervention friendly, plastic surgery friendly doctor-please-fix-my-looks friendly profession in the WORLD! If one person gives you a sideways glance about it they are the biggest hypocrite on the earth's surface. Remember the story of Star Jones and the mess she started by keeping her mouth shut. Had she just said what she was doing and been done with it people would have gone on about their business and not thought a thing of it...now look at her in the tabloids trying to tap dance around why she lied about it...(not that it's not your perogative). I certainly would NOT worry about what ANYONE at work says.

I just told them I had to have a procedure done. I'm not one that gives out a lot of personal information so they didn't ask. I didn't tell them specifically because I don't want to have to deal with the 'how much have you lost' inquiries on a regular basis. When I lose weight I will tell them how because there are several others that could benefit from it.

I'm doing the same thing. I did tell my co-workers that I have to have surgery but I did not say what is being done. I do plan to tell people afterwards, when I feel the time is right, (when I am happy with my weight loss) because I would also like to tell some co-workers about the band becuase I too think that they could benifit as well. (is that bad to say??)