Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 weeks post op, trouble eating and drinking.

So I was sleeved April 7 th. My surgeons plan has me on soft foods now however I find it nearly impossible to eat anything more solid than cottage cheese. I drink shakes to get my Protein goals. 3 shakes a day. I also have a very high protein goal at 137g a day. I have tried shrimp, tuna, corned beef( canned ). I tried blending them in a magic bullet with mayo to make moist. It all sits in a lump in my throat no matter haw slow i eat or how much i chew. I also can never get more than 42 oz fluids a day in. I seen my dietician yesterday for my 6 week post op.. She wants me to drink less shakes and add in more food but I don't know how. I also find myself wrestling with " i don't want to eat ..I am not at all hungry.. I have not felt hunger once since surgery. I know this won't last and struggle with forcing myself to eat knowing it will probably trigger my hunger to start again. This terrifies me.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Gord, sounds like you're flirting with an eating disorder. You do need to eat solid food at some point. Have you ever struggled with an eating disorder before?

Did your doctor approve your high Protein amount? Because too much Protein will damage your kidneys.

Also, perhaps you are trying to eat too much. I used a plastic pudding cup container that I saved as my guide for my meals as it held pretty much the maximum of what I could consume.

It's actually okay to proceed slower to normal food. However, you will eventually have to eat normal food. You can't put it off indefinitely. Finally, drinking Protein shakes is okay. I still drink 2 a day, Breakfast and lunch and then eat a normal dinner.

This sounds like something you might want to talk with a therapist about. Did you talk about these issues with your dietician?

Gord, sounds like you're flirting with an eating disorder. You do need to eat solid food at some point. Have you ever struggled with an eating disorder before?

no never. I am trying to eat what I can it is just very unpleasant feeling in my throat every time. Plus I just want to ride the not hungry boat as far as I can. I know it only lasts a few months.

Did your doctor approve your high Protein amount? Because too much Protein will damage your kidneys.

Also, perhaps you are trying to eat too much. I used a plastic pudding cup container that I saved as my guide for my meals as it held pretty much the maximum of what I could consume.

It's actually okay to proceed slower to normal food. However, you will eventually have to eat normal food. You can't put it off indefinitely. Finally, drinking protein shakes is okay. I still drink 2 a day, Breakfast and lunch and then eat a normal dinner.

it was my bariatric dietician who set my protein goal. It was 83-94 g but was upped to 137 to aide in healing an ulcer on my leg. I use a 1/2 cup baking measure as a dish. I fill the 1/2 cup container about 3/4 full if liquid or weight out 2 oz if a solid

This sounds like something you might want to talk with a therapist about. Did you talk about these issues with your dietician?

i told her about my concerns with drinking enough and explained thats why i drink 3 shakes a day. It kills 2 birds with one stone.. Protein and 8 oz fluids in the same timeframe. I didn't mention my fears of bringing back my hunger. I may bring it up with my councillor.