Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doc said weight loss plan was a waste of time. I need encouraged.

@@PissiChrissi You're missing part of my plan anyway - I was going to START with Aqua aerobics.. - my end goal is to be able to do an hour of laps at least 4-5 times a week in addition to aqua zumba at least 1-2 times a week.. I have a feeling that will lose the pounds. Also I have an elliptical and I'm not afraid to use - when I get to that point and if I like it - in addition to all those other things. I also have a dog who loves to bike but I haven't been able to do that in quite a while.

But that said.. I can lose the amount of weight I want doing Water exercise - it will not be all aerobics.. but it can be done and will be done and when I do I'm going to write my surgeon a letter with before and after pics and tell him exactly how I lost the weight and if you'd like me to send you one as well I'll be happy to. But unless you're going to support me and all the other people in this thread who lost a lot of weight due to various Water exercises then just take your negative opinion elsewhere please. It's not needed nor desired here.

No worries. If you want hand holding and people to lie to you to make you feel better have at it :)

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Uh... Yes, you did claim that we were lying to her, and none of us are holding her hand - we're giving her information just like your trying to do - however, you are misinformed on how much water aerobics can do for weight loss. have you seriously ever tried Running in the water... try doing 10 laps back and forth the length of the pool... I work up more of a sweat and feel way more invigorated after that then I do running on the treadmill!

Edited by Raenh

@@PissiChrissi You're missing part of my plan anyway - I was going to START with Aqua aerobics.. - my end goal is to be able to do an hour of laps at least 4-5 times a week in addition to aqua zumba at least 1-2 times a week.. I have a feeling that will lose the pounds. Also I have an elliptical and I'm not afraid to use - when I get to that point and if I like it - in addition to all those other things. I also have a dog who loves to bike but I haven't been able to do that in quite a while.

But that said.. I can lose the amount of weight I want doing Water exercise - it will not be all aerobics.. but it can be done and will be done and when I do I'm going to write my surgeon a letter with before and after pics and tell him exactly how I lost the weight and if you'd like me to send you one as well I'll be happy to. But unless you're going to support me and all the other people in this thread who lost a lot of weight due to various Water exercises then just take your negative opinion elsewhere please. It's not needed nor desired here.

No worries. If you want hand holding and people to lie to you to make you feel better have at it :)

Uh... Yes, you did claim that we were lying to her.
And as I further explained in my retort after that post, I don't think anyone is outright lying to her. I think they're misinformed.

Uh... Yes, you did claim that we were lying to her, and none of us are holding her hand - we're giving her information just like your trying to do - however, you are misinformed on how much water aerobics can do for weight loss. have you seriously ever tried Running in the water... try doing 10 laps back and forth the length of the pool... I work up more of a sweat and feel way more invigorated after that then I do running on the treadmill!
I sure have. And it's nothing compared to land workouts.

and just like any other workout if its not hard enough - you can step it up by making it more difficult - while still in the water!

its an opinion - if you've done it and don't think it worked well for you, that's your opinion because of your experience. however, there are many others here myself included that it did work for.

and us telling her OUR experiences with it and how well it worked is not us holding her hand or lying to her because we are misinformed - we aren't, we are using OUR experiences to help her make her decision. She's a big girl - I'm sure she's adult enough to know what she needs to do to help herself get moving.

Her doctor IS an asshat as someone else claimed by putting down her plan of attack knowing that she has issues with movement now anyhow she'd end up hurting herself if she followed his plan because of her ability to move being limited - he should have encouraged her to start off with that and as she loses weight maybe add in other things - not just boot it down.

Edited by Raenh

Alright guys, I'm pretty much done here. I've stated fact and also my opinions. I'm done defending both. I've wished her well and wish all of the rest of you well too.

My better judgement is saying I should say no more responding to this thread but it's my bad judgement that won lol.

@@PissiChrissi I feel you stated your opinion as facts, I didn't find it necessary for you to add comments " like hand holding and lie to you"

Personally I feel your tone hindered your message.

We're all on here fighting the disease of obesity,we all got here different ways and we all are going to use different methods to get results... At the end of the day as long as what a person is doing yields their desired results, the debate is over.

Becky clearly seems to have a rough time with the bedside manner of her surgeon, he's setting goals that are impossible for her to imagine meeting is she suppose to give up before she starts? No.

Is she smart to look beyond his "silly" advice and seek out excercise she can do yes, yes!!!

If she starts with Water exercise does that mean she doesn't have an option to do anything else, no. She might even come back here to seek more support for other things she could do.

I can only speak for me but I've come to this app to learn about WLS and hopefully interact with others who understand all the hardships being obese brings.

Good luck to all us as we try to shed the pounds, may we all be successful????

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by nyteacher125

I've lost 106lbs. I have done walking, Zumba, and Yoga. I recently started Zumba and Yoga....it's not like I was 295lbs and hopping around doing Zumba..I couldn't have done it! Same with Yoga! For the first 8-9 months I mostly walked. I just walked whenever I could....at breaktime, at lunchtime, before work, after work.....you get the picture. At first I couldn't do much without being winded...then it got easier. I think your plan is solid! Once you start to feel comfortable with the Water workout...change it up!

Ok, so you asked. I know this isn't what you want to hear, and I hate to be the ass in this thread that agrees with the surgeon who everyone now hates, but he is correct. Water aerobics aren't bad for you but you do not exert yourself enough for big numbers to fall off the scale. If you HAVE to do Water due to injuries the best thing to do is laps. Lots of them and fast.

That being said a stationary bike is also ineffective. It might do a little, and yes, it will give your heart rate up which is good for heart health but it will not be very effective at shedding lbs.

Have you tried an eleptical machine? Those are great for low impact.

Your doc might not have a great way of delivering the message, but he's not wrong. Try to not let it get you down and find something that will actually WORK for you! Good luck!!

Clearly I'm late to the party, and posting without reading the thread is obnoxious but I'll do it anywyas.

You're wrong. I swim, I do deep water finning, water aerobics, water Zumba, water ab work and it works.

I in fact have been to a Water aerobics class. I have been to dozens of trainers. I have worked with some the best trainers in the country for morbidly obese people. I have never met with or worked with a trainer that didn't agree with everything your doctor said. No one is saying you won't lose weight with water aerobics. You will. But it will be 1-2 lbs compared to 20+. The people who will have the most success with it are the people who have more to lose. People who have more than 130 to lose. You have a lot of nice people being nice and holding your hand here. At the end of the day, wouldn't you rather hear the truth that is going to make you the most successful you can be?

Yes. I am known as quite the hand holder. ;)

Sorry, this topic is puttering out, but I just have to say:

Is Water aerobics the most rapid, drastic weight loss exercise?

Nope. That would be starving yourself, working out twice a day seven days a week, running, ellipticals, weight-lifting, boot camp type crap that has you vomiting and burning through thousands of calories per session.

It is also one of the most unsustainable, metabolic-ruining, terrible ideas ever.

A user claimed you could drop 300 lbs in a year through this brand of exercise alone? That's an average of 5.7 lbs per week. Please find me a single doctor on the planet who agrees with that. Hell, even drastic sleeve/bypass surgery doesn't have people losing that much. As a nurse, I have to say it's unhealthy and a terrible idea to advocate that.

Water aerobics may not be as strenuous as Rocky-style training in the siberian forest. But it's a fun, sustainable way to incorporate exercise that OP wants to try. The goal isn't immediate weight loss. The goal is maintenance and long-term change. You can put in gym hours as a full-time job, then end up quitting and throwing your plan out of whack (not to mention permanently damage your metabolism), or you can choose something smart and sensible that you can manage over a long period of time.

Biggest-Loser type stuff is awful and should be discouraged. The recent studies that came out showed their brand of weight loss caused people's metabolisms to run ridiculously low. As in, they burned 400-600 calories LESS per day than a regular person, because it irreparably damaged the way they process and expend energy.

@@BarrySue you couldn't have expressed my thoughts better. If I don't like the exercise I know I won't stick with it.. I should but I won't.. so for now.. Water exercise that I will like and give me a good work out I feel like makes sense for me..

@BLERDgirl - HEY! Where have you been? Missed you!

Hey! I'll be back soon. Dealing with a few real life issues.