Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doc said weight loss plan was a waste of time. I need encouraged.

You guys are great. Thanks for sticking up for me!

Your surgeon just needs to watch his back. I have a super soaker and I'm not afraid to use it!

Ok, so you asked. I know this isn't what you want to hear, and I hate to be the ass in this thread that agrees with the surgeon who everyone now hates, but he is correct. Water aerobics aren't bad for you but you do not exert yourself enough for big numbers to fall off the scale. If you HAVE to do Water due to injuries the best thing to do is laps. Lots of them and fast.

That being said a stationary bike is also ineffective. It might do a little, and yes, it will give your heart rate up which is good for heart health but it will not be very effective at shedding lbs.

Have you tried an eleptical machine? Those are great for low impact.

Your doc might not have a great way of delivering the message, but he's not wrong. Try to not let it get you down and find something that will actually WORK for you! Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Ok, so you asked. I know this isn't what you want to hear, and I hate to be the ass in this thread that agrees with the surgeon who everyone now hates, but he is correct. Water aerobics aren't bad for you but you do not exert yourself enough for big numbers to fall off the scale. If you HAVE to do Water due to injuries the best thing to do is laps. Lots of them and fast.

That being said a stationary bike is also ineffective. It might do a little, and yes, it will give your heart rate up which is good for heart health but it will not be very effective at shedding lbs.

Your doc might not have a great way of delivering the message, but he's not wrong. Try to not let it get you down and find something that will actually WORK for you! Good luck!!

Also, is he trying to push your hard during your honeymoon period of your surgery? Maybe because it's harder to lose after 8-12 months. If you "waste time on water aerobics" during that phase, that might be considered good time lost for him.

@@PissiChrissi just can't resist asking have you ever been to an aqua aerobics class that uses free weights, aqua gloves and legs weights? Where are you getting your information that Water aerobics is a waste of time?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Also, is he trying to push your hard during your honeymoon period of your surgery? Maybe because it's harder to lose after 8-12 months. If you "waste time on water aerobics" during that phase, that might be considered good time lost for him.

and obviously not only have you never taken an aqua aerobics class... you've never been on a eliphical machine with bad knees... that crap is NOT low impact - I'd rather walk the treadmill at a 2 incline going 3.5mph... and it hurts until you lose weight to be able to ease up on your joints. Starting off with something that will make you hurt and ache... is NOT conductive to continuing to exercise. However, doing something that doesn't hurt your joints, but gives you a great workout is.

No, he is wrong. Swimming is THE BEST EXERCISE one person can do. I've had weeks with just swimming generally (not laps) where I've lost 6-10 pounds combined with low carb eating.

I in fact have been to a Water aerobics class. I have been to dozens of trainers. I have worked with some the best trainers in the country for morbidly obese people. I have never met with or worked with a trainer that didn't agree with everything your doctor said. No one is saying you won't lose weight with Water aerobics. You will. But it will be 1-2 lbs compared to 20+. The people who will have the most success with it are the people who have more to lose. People who have more than 130 to lose. You have a lot of nice people being nice and holding your hand here. At the end of the day, wouldn't you rather hear the truth that is going to make you the most successful you can be?

I in fact have been to a Water aerobics class. I have been to dozens of trainers. I have worked with some the best trainers in the country for morbidly obese people. I have never met with or worked with a trainer that didn't agree with everything your doctor said. No one is saying you won't lose weight with Water aerobics. You will. But it will be 1-2 lbs compared to 20+. The people who will have the most success with it are the people who have more to lose. People who have more than 130 to lose. You have a lot of nice people being nice and holding your hand here. At the end of the day, wouldn't you rather hear the truth that is going to make you the most successful you can be?

We're not holding hands here. I don't sugar coat things. I am a straight shooter. Your statement as well as the Dr's original statement are both false. You will lose weight with water exercises, and a lot of it too. The key to any exercise regime is to mix it up by doing different exercises. Losing weight though is not just about the exercise only, it's about what's going in your mouth.

To suggest you cannot lose substantial weight with water aerobics alone again is FALSE. Many others, along with myself have lost a generous amount of weight in a short window just with water exercises. Hell most of my pre-VSG weight loss has been done in the pool.

You can believe what you want, that is your right, but you're wrong.

I'm not even going to mention the obvious thing here.

Again, let me reiterate a third time, no one said you can't lose weight with Water aerobics. You can. But it pales in comparison to the weight lost with walking, running, elliptical, etc. The people who benefit from it the most are the people that have a lot more weight to lose and those people would still lose double plus some if they did their workout outside of the pool. Or did vigorous laps. It isn't my belief. It is a fact. Plain and simple.

Can you cite some research to back up what you say? Additionally I was not aware morbidly obese people has special personal trainers, what makes them different from a regular personal trainer? Any good trainer should be able to work with people of any size. I think people are getting annoyed with your statements because what your saying isn't supported with proof. I think the idea here is any movement is good movement and its critical people do exercises that don't cause Injury and they are comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Water aerobics classes vary so much this is a useless debate. I used to do HIIT in the Water and burn over 700 calories a workout.

There is the old people doing Tai Chi at the Y and then there are advanced aqua Zumba and Aqualogix classes. Aqualogix is so rare I doubt anyone here has done it but Division I, athletes use it.

You're right, personal trainers can train anyone. I have worked with regular trainers at gyms and renowned trainers that are known for working with morbidly obese people and have helped them shed 300+ lbs in a year without surgery. It was explained to me by pointing out that while working out on land you are carrying all of your weight. That is obviously a harder workout than if you're in the Water. And if the workout is easier, in most cases it isn't as effective.

I agree anything is better than nothing. And you will lose some with Water workouts. It will just always pale in comparison. Water is great if your injured and literally can't do a thing else, but it will never be as effective as walking or running.

You're right, personal trainers can train anyone. I have worked with regular trainers at gyms and renowned trainers that are known for working with morbidly obese people and have helped them shed 300+ lbs in a year without surgery. It was explained to me by pointing out that while working out on land you are carrying all of your weight. That is obviously a harder workout than if you're in the Water. And if the workout is easier, in most cases it isn't as effective.

I agree anything is better than nothing. And you will lose some with Water workouts. It will just always pale in comparison. Water is great if your injured and literally can't do a thing else, but it will never be as effective as walking or running.

As long as a personal trainer doesn't follow the practices of The Biggest Losser then I would agree that MOST personal trainers should be able to work with the morbidly obese.