Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Personal Questions for after surgery

Hello everyone.

This is my first topic post. I have been lurking on this site for a few weeks, just trying to soak up as much information regarding the sleeve. Now that my surgery is getting closer, I have some personal questions that I was wondering if you all could help me with.

1. I have read that gas pains are pretty severe after surgery. Is there anything I can do before surgery, or during recovery, to help alleviate the gas pain? Some people have recommended gas relief strips, while others have said they don't work. Also, people keep mentioning shoulder pain with gas pain? Can someone explain this to me?

2. I have also read that Constipation after surgery is a real pain in the ass (pun intended). I read somewhere that maybe taking stool softeners a day or two before surgery would help soften it up for after surgery. Can anyone attest to that?

3. How soon after surgery can we start to have sex again? Of course I will be asking my doctor as well, but would like an estimate. Also, how soon after surgery can I have oral sex with my hubby? I know we aren't supposed to drink out of straws after surgery, and that "act" is sucking. Would that cause any issues, or should I wait to do that? (Sorry, I know, very personal)

4. For the first two weeks after surgery, what should I stock up on? Right now, I love Premier Protein shakes. I like all three flavors, so I will be getting that. I also just ordered a sample pack of powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury to see if I like that as well. I know I'll also need broths/bouillon. I'll also be making sure I get my Water in, which is a struggle for me since I am never thirsty (unless I'm eating something salty). Any tips on that?

5. Do I need a wedge pillow? Some people have recommended it.

6. Last but not least, any last minute tips? Do's and Don'ts? Anything that you wish you had known before surgery, or anything you think is worth mentioning?

I really appreciate any responses. I apologize if I am repeating questions that have already been asked. I have tried to go through the forums, but am still learning how to work this site/app. I am done with all of my weight loss appointments, and am just waiting for approval. Thanks :)

Good Morning losingtheselumps, I am scheduled for my surgery on 5/24/16, so I don't have the answers to your questions yet, but I do have some of the same concerns. I must say that you have brought laughter to my early morning today and thanks for that because your questions were so funny to me although serious at the same time. Good luck dear and have a good day!!!

Hello everyone.

This is my first topic post. I have been lurking on this site for a few weeks, just trying to soak up as much information regarding the sleeve. Now that my surgery is getting closer, I have some personal questions that I was wondering if you all could help me with.

1. I have read that gas pains are pretty severe after surgery. Is there anything I can do before surgery, or during recovery, to help alleviate the gas pain? Some people have recommended gas relief strips, while others have said they don't work. Also, people keep mentioning shoulder pain with gas pain? Can someone explain this to me?

During abdominal laproscopic surgery - they expand your abdomen with gas. After surgery - usually the only thing that gets rid of the gas is walking/moving around. Nothing will help prior to surgery and Gas X works for some (but it could only be a placebo effect). The shoulder pain is when the gas moves around in your body cavity and presents as shoulder pain.

2. I have also read that Constipation after surgery is a real pain in the ass (pun intended). I read somewhere that maybe taking stool softeners a day or two before surgery would help soften it up for after surgery. Can anyone attest to that?

I don't believe taking a stool softener pre-op will help. Ask your NUT or surgeon what you can take post-op to help with consitipation.

3. How soon after surgery can we start to have sex again? Of course I will be asking my doctor as well, but would like an estimate. Also, how soon after surgery can I have oral sex with my hubby? I know we aren't supposed to drink out of straws after surgery, and that "act" is sucking. Would that cause any issues, or should I wait to do that? (Sorry, I know, very personal)

I would ask your surgeon about sex. Please be careful - because weight loss surgery can increase fertility - so be safe! I've never seen anyone ask about oral sex - and I had to chuckle. I think the action of sucking is different if you are drinking/eating through a straw (brings air into your stomach) than oral sex.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery!!!

as to

1. I think the best thing to do is walk walk walk after surgery. I didn't have a whole lot of gas pain, I was walking very slowly for 10-15 minutes each hour I was awake in the days following surgery. I started once I got in my hospital room. I didn't feel like leaving my room so I just walked back and forth across the room.

2. Constipation has been my only real struggle, and I take a stool softener, then I added a milk of magnesia pill, and benefiber. I need all three right now to keep things moving along.

3. anytime you feel like it, that has never caused a problem for me. but then, I also use straws without issue. I was probably interested in my husband in that way a few days after surgery.

4. I made bone broth for me and sugar free Jello using regular Gelatin and ocean spray diet cran grape, which I also loved over ice. I liked the outshine popsicles, and they were wonderful.

5. I didn't need a wedge pillow, and I would not get one unless you think you might like to use it later.

6. I thought I'd be sipping Water for the rest of my life. not sure how I got that impression, but I am glad I was wrong about it!

Before surgery, no. Recovery: WALK and WALK MORE. When you are not walking, sit upright -- do not lie down unless you are asleep. Try to be sitting in a rocker or glider and rock back and forth. When you rock forward, cross your arms across your abdomen and lean forward into the rock.

My surgeon said gas x type strips and meds are useless: they are formulated to relieve the symptoms of intestinal gas, which is a completely different thing than surgical gas. Surgical gas is placed into your body cavity (not your digestive tract) to blow everything up and make maneuvering around easier. The surgeon will try to get as much out as possible before closing you up, but at least a little will usually linger. This gas tends to migrate up -- towards the shoulder, top of the back, and neck areas, which is what causes you pain there.

Heating pads on the affected area can help make you feel better too.

I didn't suffer in that area so I can't really speak to it -- but my instinct says leave well enough alone. Some people suffer from diarrhea after surgery, and taking stool softeners would just make that situation worse if you are going to end up that way. Just keep on top of the situation, and if it's been a few days, get started on the stool softeners and Milk of Magnesia before you end up impacted and having a stranger's fingers having to dig you clean in the ER.

You can have sex whenever you feel up to it. Just be careful if your abdomen is sore and make sure you use positions that don't hurt you. As for the second part of that question, as a gay woman, that's the last thing I'm qualified to answer so I'll leave it to the experts (definitely not me).

4. For the first two weeks after surgery, what should I stock up on? Right now, I love Premier Protein shakes. I like all three flavors, so I will be getting that. I also just ordered a sample pack of unjury to see if I like that as well. I know I'll also need broths/bouillon. I'll also be making sure I get my Water in, which is a struggle for me since I am never thirsty (unless I'm eating something salty). Any tips on that?

I found "diet" cranberry juice blends were good -- the tartness was welcomed in place of so much other sickeningly sweet stuff. Likewise, V8 -- if you have trouble with sodium-sensitive blood pressure you would want to watch your intake there, and use the low sodium variety, but otherwise it's a good option. G2, Powerade Zero, Lifewater Zero, and Hubert's Diet Lemonade were also good choices for me that helped.

5. Do I need a wedge pillow? Some people have recommended it.

I didn't need one, but I can see that it could be helpful.

6. Last but not least, any last minute tips? Do's and Don'ts? Anything that you wish you had known before surgery, or anything you think is worth mentioning?

Don't overpack for the hospital. You don't need stuff like a robe or PJ's or whatever, just use the gowns they give you. If you are more comfortable wearing a bra, get a soft, cotton, fasten-in-front leisure bra (no underwire!) or two for use in the hospital and a few weeks after -- many surgeons will leave you with an incision right at the bra line and believe me you don't want an underwire or even a regular bra pressing up against it.

Good luck!

as to

1. I think the best thing to do is walk walk walk after surgery. I didn't have a whole lot of gas pain, I was walking very slowly for 10-15 minutes each hour I was awake in the days following surgery. I started once I got in my hospital room. I didn't feel like leaving my room so I just walked back and forth across the room.

2. Constipation has been my only real struggle, and I take a stool softener, then I added a milk of magnesia pill, and benefiber. I need all three right now to keep things moving along.

3. anytime you feel like it, that has never caused a problem for me. but then, I also use straws without issue either.

4. I made bone broth for me and sugar free Jello using regular Gelatin and ocean spray diet cran grape, which I also loved over ice. I liked the outshine popsicles, and they were wonderful.

5. I didn't need a wedge pillow, and I would not get one unless you think you might like to use it later.

6. I thought I'd be sipping Water for the rest of my life. not sure how I got that impression, but I am glad I was wrong about it!

I am looking forward to hearing how you do with your surgery. It's one of the best things that ever happened to me!

I had sugery on 3/29...yes the gas pains were very bad and the gas x strips did help a little. I didn't have any shoulder gas pain. I had a really bad case of constipation!!!..Protein and pain meds makes you constipated so be sure to get stool softeners and keep Miralax on hand. I now take a stool softner every other day! Sex was about 2 weeks for me I know everyone is different but I only had pain my first two days home. My husband wanted to wait cuz he was scared he would hurt me...lol but we just took it slow no swinging from the ceiling fan..lol. Oral...I just think when you feel up to it. I was at the gym the 5th day walking 2 miles so it's just up to your body. You shouldn't stock up on anything becuz your taste really change after sugery and things u liked or could drink you may not be able to anymore. In the beginning I couldn't drink cold Water...warm liquids went down better.....I just bought enough for 1week-unsweetned apple sauce, sugar free Jello, chicken broth, Protein and sugar free pudding. If Water is a struggle now it will really be after cuz u will only be able to take little sips all day. You will have to do the best you can. I just used a regular pillow and tucked it for support at night when I slept. The hospital gave me what looks like a back brace to hold my stomach from gravity when you get up and down I don't know the name of it but they give to women who have csections. It really helped!!....Make sure u walk, walk, walk it really helps with the gas, sip sip sip...slowly!!..and know it will probably will be hard and frustrating in the beginning and u might have some regrets but it gets better and its sooooo worth it!!...if I can help with any other questions let me know...Good luck to you and keep us updated!..

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

I just got my packed and it states it is alright to resume sexual activity 3 weeks after surgery and you must avoid pregnancy for 18 months.

Thank you for all of the responses!

I will be getting on birth control before surgery, as a precaution. My husband and I have not been on birth control or used protection for two years, and nada. We haven't been "trying" to conceive, but would welcome another child (in the future).

@@Bufflehead, your response to my question number 3 made me bust out laughing lol. I suppose you wouldn't be an expert with that;)

@@Shemekasr, Glad I could make you laugh:) Are you excited/nervous? Your date is getting closer. Please keep us updated with your progress, and since you'll be having surgery a few weeks before me, if you have any advice closer to my surgery date, I would love to hear it!

Y'all have answered all of my questions. One last question. When can we go swimming after surgery? I am going to the beach in mid-July which will be about a month after my surgery. Will I be able to swim? Thanks again everyone.

P.S., how do you add your height, weight, etc under your info that shows up under your name, gender, location? I can't figure that out.

Edited by losingtheselumps

I was told you can't be on any birth control pills before surgery because it could cause blood clots . I would recommend started a couple weeks after if they say it is okay

Thank you for all of the responses!

I will be getting on birth control before surgery, as a precaution. My husband and I have not been on birth control or used protection for two years, and nada. We haven't been "trying" to conceive, but would welcome another child (in the future).

@@Bufflehead, your response to my question number 3 made me bust out laughing lol. I suppose you wouldn't be an expert with that;)

@@Shemekasr, Glad I could make you laugh:) Are you excited/nervous? Your date is getting closer. Please keep us updated with your progress, and since you'll be having surgery a few weeks before me, if you have any advice closer to my surgery date, I would love to hear it!

Y'all have answered all of my questions. One last question. When can we go swimming after surgery? I am going to the beach in mid-July which will be about a month after my surgery. Will I be able to swim? Thanks again everyone.

P.S., how do you add your height, weight, etc under your info that shows up under your name, gender, location? I can't figure that out.

i had to wait 8 weeks before going to the pool after surgery.

When can we go swimming after surgery? I am going to the beach in mid-July which will be about a month after my surgery. Will I be able to swim?

Definitely a question for your surgeon -- their advice tends to vary and you want to check in with yours specifically.

I was told you can't be on any birth control pills before surgery because it could cause blood clots . I would recommend started a couple weeks after if they say it is okay

Hmm, that's a good point. I'll ask my doctor. Thank you

When can we go swimming after surgery? I am going to the beach in mid-July which will be about a month after my surgery. Will I be able to swim?

Definitely a question for your surgeon -- their advice tends to vary and you want to check in with yours specifically.

Will do, thanks

I think the more you expect something, the more it happens. I had NO gas pain at all, no shoulder pain, nothing. The worst pain I had was getting in and out of bed the first few days from my larger incision. I did use a wedge at home and it helped getting in and out of bed (we already had one).

I also didn't have any Constipation - I found the liquid narcotic pain medication so vile tasting that I only took plain tylenol. I'm sure that helped. A little warm prune juice really helps with constipation.

Things I brought to the hospital I couldn't have done without: chapstick, a pair of pajama bottoms for walking the halls (it was cold on my floor!), my hairbrush, and my fave face cleanser and moisturizer. Hospitals and hotels really dry out my skin.

How soon you can be in a pool largely depends on the healing of your incisions. I had one that opened up and it took a couple weeks to heal over. This doesn't happen often.

Good luck!

@@2goldengirl, Thank you for the advice on what to pack for the hospital. I haven't even considered that.