Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July is When my new life begins

I'm scheduled July 18 for a Lapband to sleeve revision. Im terrified bc of the problems I had with the Lapband.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hello. Surgery scheduled FINALLY for July 27th. I must say I was hoping for a sooner surgery date since I got all my requirements such as the nutritionist and psych eval out of the way early on last year sometime and my medically supervised diet ended in April. My surgeon is obviously a very busy man. I'm trying to actually slow my weight loss down because as of now my BMI is 37 and I want to remain eligible for surgery. I started off with a BMI of 48. I do have some concerns though. Number one my surgeon told me we don't have to take Multivitamins or Calcium after surgery , it's not necessary whereas I have read everywhere that it's very important to take Vitamins. Number two they said after surgery, which will be in the morning, we have to sit up and walk around for hours after surgery and we won't be allowed to lay down until about ten that night. That's kind of strenuous isn't it? What do you all think? I'm having the sleeve by the way.

@@MissB1982 - I am scheduled for July 27th also! I had hoped for sooner also, but then realized I have something going on every weekend in July! I will have to do the liquid diet through a few events, but at least I won't be post op.

I have also read that there is less concern with malabsorption with the sleeve, however, we are going to be eating very little food. At least for the first few months, I don't think we can take in enough nutrients with our diet alone. So I think doing a Vitamin is a good idea. My doctor's office sells the Celebrate chewables. They said Centrum chewables are acceptable as well. They also said I need to take a chewable calcium citrate (had to be citrate) and they want me to take 2-3 of those a day and not at the same time as the Vitamins, because the Iron in the vitamins doesn't let the Calcium absorb as well.

From prior surgeries I've had and from reading about the VSG, they will have you up and walking, but I've never heard of a marathon day like your doctor is proposing. I wonder if he just means that they'll have you up hourly or every few hours walking from the time you wake up until 10pm. Not like you'll be standing that whole time, but they will keep getting you back up. That makes a bit more sense. If that's not what he means, I guess you better pack a good pair of hiking shoes. LOL!

Congratulations on your weight loss so far. You're doing awesome and are well on your way to a new you!!!

Thanks and congrats to you too. Yeah hopefully he means we walk every hour or so or else they won't get much compliance from me lol. But I know walking is good for gas and preventative of blood clots (which I've had blood clots before and it was not fun). I bought some Vitamins anyway but I think I made a mistake because I bought the gummies and they don't contain Iron, magnesium, riboflavin, and many others but they sure cost a lot to not have everything in them! It's cool though I'll take them until they run out and I've been taking vitamins now for months pre surgery so hopefully I have enough stored up in my system. Also bought the D vitamins, Calcium, and B. Thank God I have no liquid diet except for the day before surgery but it's more just to clean my system out.I actually don't mind the wait now because time is speeding by, I can't believe July 1st is later this week, the 27th will be here so soon. Plus it's giving me a chance to eat certain foods I know I will have to let go, in moderation of course. It will be here before we know it. I'm not nervous yet, I was, but I'm actually better the closer I get I think. Are you nervous?

@@MissB1982 - I'm not too nervous about the surgery itself. I have had other surgeries and usually tolerate them quite well. I am a little nervous about the diet immediately after. I'm such a picky eater and can't do artificial sweeteners. I won't do pureed meat. ICK! I picture myself eating yogurt and drinking Protein shakes for weeks on end. I guess I can do that, but it sure will get old.

I'm also worried about what other people think and having them find out. I don't plan on telling anyone, but my husband said - you really have to learn to be OK with other people knowing if they find out. He doesn't want me to get torn up inside if/when someone brings it up. I see his point. Why can't something like this just be my business though? :-)

I'm also thinking about the foods that will be leaving my life, at least for awhile, or maybe never eaten the same way again. I do want to change forever, so I know some of them may never come back again. I feel like I want to make sure I get some of them now, but I also want to continue to lose weight over the next month leading up to the surgery too. Everything in moderation, I suppose.

Yeah pureed meat sounds sickening lol. We will be eating a lot of the same foods for months so yeah I imagine it will get boring, that's why that voice in my head said slow down and take your time, dont rush the surgery, it's coming. Cause ar first I was just like impatient and oh I want it now now now. As far as people knowing, I have only told a select few, many who I wish I hadn't told but hey. I'm not on a lot of social media and I won't be posting pictures talking about my weight loss. If I post pictures they will just be general pictures but I won't point out my weight loss at all and I imagine many won't even say anything. I've lost 80 pounds over a two year period and nobody but my mother has commented so.. people are weird like that. Luckily I stay to myself a lot so don't think too many people would even notice I've changed. Maybe they'll surprise me though. I think the weight loss is more noticeable once you actually get thin and out of the plus size category. But no if you don't want to tell anyone I wouldn't. You can say you lost the weight by changing your eating habits and becoming more active and that won't be a lie!

Edited by MissB1982

July 15th is my surgery date, I couldn't be more excited????

I am on my pre-op and definitely hungry and trying not to think about it. I'm going to Mexico and having it done, any suggestions for pre-op diet and things I should definitely take with me?

Hi all, nice to read these posts.

I think the weight loss is more noticeable once you actually get thin and out of the plus size category. But no if you don't want to tell anyone I wouldn't. You can say you lost the weight by changing your eating habits and becoming more active and that won't be a lie!

I agree... can take about a 30 pound loss before anyone notices, when you're big.

I'm not telling anyone except my partner and maybe 1 other. I'm a private person and don't want people asking me whenever they see me, as nice as their intentions may be. People already can see I'm trying to eat healthy due to what I'm eating, as I did a pre pre-op diet, to help get some of the easy weight off.

At this stage it's coming off slowly ish. Now that I'm on the pre-op diet I don't have any occasional takeaways. It's super hard sticking to it, and I must admit the first week (out of 4) I cheated twice. 800 calories a day, no wonder I'm starving. I feel like I got it out of my system, and since then I've been OK. Still finding it hard, but know cheating isn't an option now which is giving me a good head space to keep disciplined. Also, since it takes like 3 days to get back into Ketosis it's not worth it. And it's not like I'll be depriving myself forever. Month or so from now I could have a little something. That keeps me sane.

How is everyone else going on their pre-op diets?

Anyone had surgery yet and have an update?

I'm scheduled July 18 for a Lapband to sleeve revision. Im terrified bc of the problems I had with the Lapband.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Lapband gave me problems for 4 years. I had my surgery June 14th.

Hello. Surgery scheduled FINALLY for July 27th. I must say I was hoping for a sooner surgery date since I got all my requirements such as the nutritionist and psych eval out of the way early on last year sometime and my medically supervised diet ended in April. My surgeon is obviously a very busy man. I'm trying to actually slow my weight loss down because as of now my BMI is 37 and I want to remain eligible for surgery. I started off with a BMI of 48. I do have some concerns though. Number one my surgeon told me we don't have to take Multivitamins or Calcium after surgery , it's not necessary whereas I have read everywhere that it's very important to take Vitamins. Number two they said after surgery, which will be in the morning, we have to sit up and walk around for hours after surgery and we won't be allowed to lay down until about ten that night. That's kind of strenuous isn't it? What do you all think? I'm having the sleeve by the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

At least you're on the pre op diet and that is the last step before surgery. I do have to say a quick thank you to God that I don't have a pre op diet since we were required to lose at least 10% of our body weight in the six month supervised diet. However I'm sure that the pre op liquid diet prepares you for after surgery where you can't eat real food for awhile. But anyway good luck to everyone, this is our month! And oh yeah if you go on YouTube there are several videos on people that had surgery in Mexico and they are giving suggestions on what to pack . I guess look up "gastric sleeve in Mexico" or "what to pack for gastric sleeve". I don't think I could give you good advice on what to pack because you're actually taking a trip vs just going to the hospital for a couple of days so.. But good luck !

Hi, my surgery is scheduled July 12th. Anxious but really excited to start this adventure. Pre op liquid diet started rough but now I tolerate. Never thought I would get tired of consuming sweets, but after 6 days of cloyingly sweet shakes, can't wait to switch it up a bit. Good luck to all of you July sleevers.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

No Vitamins hmmmm, those are good to take even if you haven't had any kind of WLS.

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App