Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, everyone. I'm 24 and have been "obese" for what seems like my entire life. I've struggled with my weight and body image since I was probably about 8-9 years old. I feel like I have honestly tried everything to lose weight and keep it off, obviously to no avail. A few years ago I lost about 65 lbs., which was probably my greatest success to date, but have since gained it all back plus more. I know a few people who think I'm too young to be having the surgery. Either way, I'm scheduled for June 21st... What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by brookebonic

I am 22 and just started this process (my insurance requires 6 months) and could not be more excited for my journey. And you should be too! Who cares how old you are? It is your body and you are making the changes that are best for YOU! Personally I have done every diet known to man, I would loose a chunk of weight and gain it and more back over and over. And I for one am over the moon for you, ignore the naysayers and do you! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

I am 22 and just started this process (my insurance requires 6 months) and could not be more excited for my journey. And you should be too! Who cares how old you are? It is your body and you are making the changes that are best for YOU! Personally I have done every diet known to man, I would loose a chunk of weight and gain it and more back over and over. And I for one am over the moon for you, ignore the naysayers and do you! :)

Exactly! That was my exact thought process about it as well (and it is for everything else in life, too)... But then there was the tiny part of me that started thinking, "Well, what if they're right?" Silly...

Exactly! That was my exact thought process about it as well (and it is for everything else in life, too)... But then there was the tiny part of me that started thinking, "Well, what if they're right?" Silly...

Well if you have doubts just message me, I'll set you straight! Lol I am ALMOST kidding. Believe in yourself, do what is right for you! :)

Hi, everyone. I'm 24 and have been "obese" for what seems like my entire life. I've struggled with my weight and body image since I was probably about 8-9 years old. I feel like I have honestly tried everything to lose weight and keep it off, obviously to no avail. A few years ago I lost about 65 lbs., which was probably my greatest success to date, but have since gained it all back plus more. I know a few people who think I'm too young to be having the surgery. Either way, I'm scheduled for June 21st... What are your thoughts?

Hi there,

I am 25 and this is my second go round at wls (I was approved through uhc 3 years ago but didnt go through with the surgery). Like you, I have also been able to lose weight on my own (90 pounds twice) but each time I gain it back. So now I am quite determined to get the surgery this time because I am so tired of losing and gaining. I'm glad to see you have a date:)

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

I am 24, and my surgery date is May 20th. I was pretty thin up until I was 16. I gained about 20 lbs, and ended up with PCOS. I have tried every diet known to man. I even did a 45 day all juicing diet. I lost 29 lbs the first 3 1/2 weeks, then stopped and for the last 2-3 weeks didn't lose a thing. This is the best decision I feel I could make. I'm glad I'm doing it young. Now I'll have my whole life to enjoy my new body!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

When I was in my 20s, I lost most of my excess weight. When I was in my 30s, I had weight-loss surgery. Because I had put it on-all of it back on-with extra. I wish that I had done this in my mid 20s, my life would've been playing out differently.

I got surgery last year at 26. I wish I would have done it sooner. I've also struggle with my weight since I was a child. I lost 65 pounds about 5 years ago and gained it all back. I personally don't think you're too young. Good luck!

I am 48, and have been overweight and unhappy about my weight since my mid-20's....when I had my children at age 25 and 28, I didn't have my photo taken holding them in my hospital bed after their births, BC I didn't want my children to look back and be embarrassed that I was fat......I never swam with my children at a public pool, and when we went to the beach I pretended I just wanted to read, not swim.....I once went to an amusement park with my daughter and the safety belt snapped on me halfway through a roller coaster ride (I could have killed her or me or both)......every milestone in my children's lives I have hidden in the back of the photos promising myself that the next Girl Scout camping trip, the next ski vacation, the next middle school graduation, the next prom, the next college drop off....THEN I would be 100 pounds lighter BC I would finally buckle fine and get serious and beat this thing. The next one never happened the way I wanted.

I think you're making the decision I wish I had made when I was in my 20's. Don't let anyone tell you what's right for you.

I am 24 also and my surgery date is June 7th !!!

Message me or let me know your email if you want to be support buddies!

I'm 25 and due for my sleeve on the 31st of May. I'm so glad I'm doing it now and I actually wish I had done it two or three years ago! I know it's going to be the best thing I've ever done for myself. Ignore what others say and do what you know is right for you

I'm 19 and getting my sleeve on May 30th and honestly I'm so excited!

Like everyone else I know it's the right thing for me.

I got tired of living ashamed of myself and how I looked and didn't want to go down the family path of extreme health problems.

You're going to have so much time to enjoy life so much more.

If you think it's right - and you know why it's right - then it is.

I'm 29.. So I'm unsure if I fall into the young category anymore (*throws plate at the wall*) but I'm having my surgery on Thursday next week and I've never been more ready. Forget what family and friends say it's how you feel and what you want. It's your life, do not let anyone tell you how to live it! Good luck, you've got this!

Edited by jessjames