Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week post - Wow what a week!

Well I did it! Some of you may have read my pre-op saga of appts and insurance hassles. But, I got it done. My date was May 9th. I was sleeved at 930 am and all went well. I woke up in recovery like I had swallowed molten hot lava! The acid indigestion feeling was just absolutely awful! I complained a lot and got enough drugs to knock me out like all day! I slept through the worst of it. Day two brought a little relief, better acid drugs more painkillers. I walked some and tried sipping some Water. No way! Everything that hit my sleeve sent it into a rampage of cramps, convulsions and acid! I moistened my mouth but that was it. On May 11th I started feeling a bit better. Later that afternoon my sleeve began allowing small introductions of water, tiny tiny sips at first. They kept me in IV fluids to avoid dehydration. Still whenever something got my sleeve, I would gag in a fit of dry heaves. Too much, smaller, smaller sips!

They sprung me at about 5:00. I went to the drugstore for oral suspensions of codeine and Nexium 20mg. I got home and found I could tolerate more and more liquids. Water was the worst and hardest to tolerate, plain chicken broth was easiest especially when hot.

May 12th, day 3, brought increasing experimentation and I found that temperature was key to liquids- water still sucked but everything else gradually got better. On day four, I could sip sip sip in a bit larger quantities with few ill effects. I even went to the movies with my family and felt pretty normal.

On day five I went to estate sales with my wife and found some treasures. Felt pretty good!

Today, day six I've been working in the yard very lightly and making some sugar free Jellos and puddings with Protein Powder. I'm feeling pretty darn good and am going to work tomorrow! Honestly, for no good reason, my biggest fear is that I'm going to fail because I feel hungry!

I never would have thought I'd be this far along after how I felt on day one and two!

Let me know how you other newbies are doing and I'll keep you posted with my progress!

I was sleeved 5/10 and my sleeve has been ok until today-now I have massive rumbles, gas and diarrhea -ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Ugh! Maybe you introduced something your sleeve didn't care for? Can you try to isolate the offending interloper? Hopefully it passes soon!

"Honestly, for no good reason, my biggest fear is that I'm going to fail because I feel hungry!"

Are you saying you feel hungry now? I've been told the feeling of hunger is gone after surgery.

I'm 17 days out and the lack of hunger or cravings is amazing. I eat when and what I should, but just can't hear the siren call of the donut shop anymore!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Everything you guys have mentioned is completely normal.....

I had trouble with liquid and acid for 1 day post op then it got better day 2, week 2 i was extremely hungry for no good reason, actual hunger not head hunger, week 3 i am feeling like a champion! I am meeting all my liquid and Protein requirements...

Just give everything time.... be patient... your body is healing and doing some funky stuff... i was panicking and freaking out over the smallest things and in hindsight it seems so long ago..... even though it has only been 3 weeks.

I worried about not ever being able to drink Water again

I worried because i wasn't losing weight

I worried because i kept getting heartburn

I worried that I would never be able to eat again

I worried that my weight loss would never start

I worried about my stitches and bruises

I worried about my lethargy

I worried why i was feeling depressed and angry

I worried about the weird gurgling noises

I worried about the gas i was feel and boy did my toots reek! Lol

And you know what..... all that worry was for nothing... everything sorted itself out in the end.

So chin up, your body is healing, be kind to it.. and in time you will feel much better ☺

Edited by AussieGirl81

"Honestly, for no good reason, my biggest fear is that I'm going to fail because I feel hungry!"

Are you saying you feel hungry now? I've been told the feeling of hunger is gone after surgery.

Yes that's what I mean! I feel like I want to eat a cheeseburger. Of course I can't do that but that is what I feel like. Maybe this is the head hunger that folks speak of!

@ - thanks for sharing for the newbies.

I am over a year post.

I think a response from someone who is just ahead of a them is always more believable, for those especially a day or two post, because the issues are more recent.

I was sleeved Friday, 5/13 - and all is going well so far. Surgery was schedule for 1pm which I thought was torture to be fasting from midnight. I did arrive at the hospital with a headache which was relieved once I had an IV in me.

Surgery was 1 1/2. Waking up was painful and thank God for pain killer.

My shoulder/ chest is where I felt the most pain - crazy how the gas travels in the body.

By 6pm I made my first trip to the bathroom. Urinating took forever - due to the anesthesia. But overall ok!

I was using the bathroom every 2-3hrs. And the walk to the bathroom alleviated some of the gas pain.

The following day I took the liquid test which was disgusting and you sipped via a straw which does not help the gas. But I passed.

I was discharged by 2pm.

Best experience in the hospital were the nurses! They were amazing!

Once home I was on my pain medicine every 4 hrs. 2 day home only used the pain medicine twice. Each day I'm feeling better!

I was sleeved on 5/13. Came home yesterday. Feeling a bit nauseous from time to time. No issues drinking liquid unless I drink too much, then Inget foam. Only issue is Protein shakes seem to thick. Going to try mixing with Water instead of milk. Any tips?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@ - thanks for sharing for the newbies.

I am over a year post.

I think a response from someone who is just ahead of a them is always more believable, for those especially a day or two post, because the issues are more recent.

Yes... i was being honest and i truly did go through all of it.... i thought i would never get to a place where i am starting to feel semi normal.

Don't get me wrong... im still learning... i took one bite too many the other night and boy was that horrible... never again lol

But i hope i was of some help to somebody