Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One month post op! Down 25 pounds but freaking out because weight loss has slowed !

I had my surgery on April 13, 2016. I lost my first 19 two weeks out. In the last 2 weeks I've only lost about 5 pounds and I am freaking out. I'm back to work half days because I'm a mail carrier and my job is very active. I'm back at the gym 5 days a week. Only eating mushy foods abd liquids still. I get all of my Protein most days and all of my Water and then some. I know it's normal and that 2-3 pounds a week is still a great accomplishment considering I couldn't lose an ounce no matter how hard I tried before surgery. But I'm so scared that once I'm actually able to eat a little more, that my weight loss will stop! I think my body is broken. I get soooooo much exercise with my job that I think my metabolism is screwed up so bad that I simply will never get to that magical place we all want to go called Onederland!! My heaviest weight was 295, pre op weight was 265, current weight 240. I get so frustrated that I'm just gonna stay in the 240's, I cry and cry! I'm more depressed now than I was at 295 as crazy as that sounds. I'm so afraid that I'm just gonna stop eating all together. I'm going away for the 4th of July weekend and I wanted to be down at least 50 pounds by then. I'm going on a romantic vacation for my 5 year wedding anniversary in September/ October and I really want to reach Onederland by then. I'm going to support groups and talking to my nutritionist and she says I'm doing great and I'll get there but I know my body and my sucky metabolism!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Breathe.

How many calories are you getting each day? Given that your job is so active AND you're hitting the gym, without knowing what your intake is, I'm betting it isn't enough to meet your needs on just mushies and liquids. either back off at the gym for a while until your intake catches up, or find a way to get more calories in. No need to freak out or let your mind play tricks on you.

Breathe.

How many calories are you getting each day? Given that your job is so active AND you're hitting the gym, without knowing what your intake is, I'm betting it isn't enough to meet your needs on just mushies and liquids. either back off at the gym for a while until your intake catches up, or find a way to get more calories in. No need to freak out or let your mind play tricks on you.

I don't have an active job and I'm not hitting the gym, and I stall out at 600-700. I've I had to get myself to 800-900 before I started losing again.

Manage your expectations. There is no expiration on weight loss, nor is this some sort of relay race. If you continue to set weight goals and expect to lose 25 pounds every month, you're going to be disappointed time and time again.

You're doing just great as far as I can tell. Stay the course, adjust accordingly if need be to continue to lose inches as well as weight, be happy with the progress you've made as opposed to how far you may need to go, concentrate on what you can control and not what you can't and you'll be one happy girl.

I had my surgery on April 13, 2016. I lost my first 19 two weeks out. In the last 2 weeks I've only lost about 5 pounds and I am freaking out. I'm back to work half days because I'm a mail carrier and my job is very active. I'm back at the gym 5 days a week. Only eating mushy foods abd liquids still. I get all of my Protein most days and all of my Water and then some. I know it's normal and that 2-3 pounds a week is still a great accomplishment considering I couldn't lose an ounce no matter how hard I tried before surgery. But I'm so scared that once I'm actually able to eat a little more, that my weight loss will stop! I think my body is broken. I get soooooo much exercise with my job that I think my metabolism is screwed up so bad that I simply will never get to that magical place we all want to go called Onederland!! My heaviest weight was 295, pre op weight was 265, current weight 240. I get so frustrated that I'm just gonna stay in the 240's, I cry and cry! I'm more depressed now than I was at 295 as crazy as that sounds. I'm so afraid that I'm just gonna stop eating all together. I'm going away for the 4th of July weekend and I wanted to be down at least 50 pounds by then. I'm going on a romantic vacation for my 5 year wedding anniversary in September/ October and I really want to reach Onederland by then. I'm going to support groups and talking to my nutritionist and she says I'm doing great and I'll get there but I know my body and my sucky metabolism!!!!!

What kind of workouts do you do at the gym? 5 days a week?!

I thought I was going to be my docs first failure. I was losing so, so slowly in the beginning. I was so upset like you and really could not even see any weight loss. All of a sudden the weight just started dropping off, at least it felt that way, it was like 3-4 months before it started happening, and next thing I knew I am now 9 months out and down 95lbs. So believe people when they say, as long as you are really sticking to your docs program, it will happen, I don't care what kind of job you have. My program does not want us to eat back the calories we burn, unless you run a marAthon or something like that, your body will adjust, Good luck and like someone else said breathe

It sounds like you aren't eating enough for your activity level.

That said, none of us lose at a constant or steady rate. We all experience stalls and slow downs, and most of us experience our first stall about three weeks after surgery.

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

What kind of workouts do you do at the gym? 5 days a week?!

I stalled too when I was only consuming 650-750 calories per day. Once I upped it to 1000 per day I started losing again.

Hi,

Your body is not "broken". You are just going through a major change. you need to give it time. You can't expect to lose all the weight at once. You are doing the right thing. 5 pounds in 2 weeks is still pretty good. I had a stall for almost 2 weeks, meaning I did not lose any weight and I was very active. Try to change your gym routine. Do less cardio, more strength training. Take your Proteins. don't cut on food. Follow your NUT advice.
If not, you would slow down your metabolism and hit a major stall. Make sure you drink enough.

The emotional roller coaster is normal. it comes with the weight loss (hormones are released from fat). Keep your July 4th goal, but don't be obsessed about it. You already lost 24 pounds. This is amazing! Think how long it would have taken with a regular diet.

Take it easy. you're on the right path.

Take care.