Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are Your Family Members Overweight and Which of Them Supported You?

@@Christinamo7, I am so sorry for your devastating loss as well. My prayers go up to both of you.

I am the heaviest in my family and have battled my weight since I was about 13/14.

No one in my family (including work family) has been unsupportive and I therefore I am blessed.

I feel bad for those who feel they have no support from SO or family.

Nobody in my family is obese so they don't really understand my struggle. Most of my mom's side are tall and skinny. My dad's side though are muscler and short, my dad is the tallest at 6 feet. I don't see how muscle, skinny and tall = a fat offspring. I have the worst of both worlds. If I'm not hella skinny I'm fat as ever, if I'm skinny I have muscle, it sucks. On top of that I have sleep apnea, asthma, PCOS and diabetes type 2. I just wish that my family understood my struggle. That I'm the type of person that diet and exercise alone DOES NOT work. I need extra help to keep me thin.

I was the only heavy one in both my immediate and extended family. No one ever really petered me about my weight (to wouldn't have worked - stubborn Irish here)

All were very supportive. Two sisters were at hospital, even though I told them wasn't necessary for the hour surgery. Totally supportive the whole journey!

Wow, quite the variety of situations! Whether or not all or some of the others in your family are overweight, WLS is so much easier when you can have their full support. I was so lucky in that respect since nobody in my family was disparaging or negative.

I always think it is so unfair when family members are not supportive. I can understand if they don’t agree with your decision…but it’s YOUR decision! Once you make it, it’s basically their duty to support you in it! At least, that’s how I feel about friends and family. They can and should give their opinions, you can and should consider those opinions, and then you can make your own decision and they can support you.

I am always interested in the family dynamics surrounding overweight and weight loss surgery. It seems as though there are so many different scenarios. For example, you may be the only overweight person in your immediate family, while the others have no weight struggles. Or maybe you look around at your family and almost see yourself reflected back at you because your parents, siblings, and aunts, uncles, and cousins all are overweight and have been for as long as you can remember.

Beyond the question of who in the family struggles with weight and who doesn’t, it is also interesting to see who supports your WLS decision, who doesn’t, and why. If you’re the only one in your family who may qualify for WLS, your other family members may not understand why you can’t just lose the weight on your own. Or, they may see that you’ve been trying for years, and that you really do need an extra tool to help you lose weight.

If you’re one among many overweight family members, they may support you, and some may have already had the surgery. Or, they may try to convince you that you’re fine at this weight, since that’s where they are.

What is your family situation with respect to weight and WLS? Are many of your family members overweight? Did they support your WLS? If not, and you’ve already gotten WLS, have any of them changed their minds? What convinced them to support you?

Well funny you should post this. My parents are not overweight. I am 49 always struggled with weight as food was my coping mechanism soon after I was molested as a small child. Fast forward, being attractive and stylish a lot of times saved me from the wrath of being a slob but not always. I tried in 09 to be approved for bypass failed yet lost 60 lbs. So the fact that family and friends can see that I am capable of losing weight to them pure willpower alone should do it. My aunt is the next obese person in my immediate family. She is the family feeder, food hoarder and the reason costco stays in business. What single person needs to shop at costco weekly? Right! The people who have 2 freezers and 2 fridges. My aunt said she will support me that was back in March when I started WLS process. Now I am approved and she says she does not understand why I am having it. Now she is conditioning me saying I better not be this way or that after then bragging about my weight loss. Saying things to me like well now I cannot take you out to eat anymore. Or wow you will never get to have BBQ ribs again knowing they are one of my fav's. And the hatched flew right into my back when at a dinner party that I was not present at she proceeded to talk about my weight issues and surgery to a guy I was in grade school with. Who cares? Further more she has to be 100 overweight worry about yourself. Food is love in my family always was and to my dad and my aunts and uncles who struggle with alcohol and or pills. No one wants to see someone one else rise up out of misery. Despite what they say. I am being sleeved June 8th. The victim hood mentality is staying on that operating table while I walk to a stronger, healthy me. If I can inspire anyone else and not alienate them so be it. But I will not allow anyone to make me feel bad for my choice. Scare me with loose skin stories all you want at least it will not be fat. Even my dad does not understand why surgery. The conversation is going to change now for my family how they relate and talk about me. What does it matter they already talk about my weight nothing new really. And I have a daughter who is 15 and healthy weight thank goodness! That is always something they talk about too she does not take after me. Probably more than you wanted to know!! Give me a mic or platform because I have lots to say only scratched the surface here. Thank you

Sent from my LGLS990 using the BariatricPal App