Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UNC or Duke for surgery?

Both hospital programs are very close by to me, trying to decide which to use. Attended UNC info session, seemed pretty straightforward....duke info session is next week.

How were your experiences if you used one of these programs? Is one more comprehensive than the other in terms of support and follow up post-surgery? I definitely want to have solid support groups available to me post-surgery, when the real work kicks in.

Any info or opinions you can provide on your experience at Duke or UNC would be so appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Find out who knows how to deal with complications, difficult patients and ask to talk to people who have stayed with their after care for 3 years or longer.

You want to know how they deal with problems. Any one can deal with things when they go well, its the capability to deal with issues that shows who is going to be in your corner, if things go wrong. I learned that lesson well from what happened to me and others.

Ask if either is a "center of excellence" in bariatric surgery. These facilities meet a very high standard to obtain this designation.

Sent from my SM-S920L using the BariatricPal App

My NC relatives praise Duke Medical to the high heavens.

Over the years they've had anything from back surgeries, knee replacements, intestine resectioning, to cancer related surgeries.

The care they received was done by some of the top surgeons in their field.

Duke is a special place.

Nothing agains UNC, but I know where I'd most likely go if given the choice.

They're both Centers of Excellence, but I am looking forward to my Duke info session so I can get a sense of their care and post-op support.

Dub, your comment really struck a chord with me, thx for the info.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I have my RNY surgery scheduled at Duke on 6/1. So far during the preop period, everyone in their Office has been great. I dropped off my FMLA paperwork at 10a and they called me at 12n to say it was done and ready to be picked up. The WLS Support classes each month are well attended and the topics have been interesting. My Surgeon has responded to any email I've sent him promptly. I've been happy so far.

Thanks Lemm61! That sounds like the kind of program that offers the support I want/need to learn a new way of living.

Who is doing your surgery?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@gina171 Hey, there is a WLS support group meeting this Tuesday at Duke WLS. It starts at 6p. It's free. You can signup online. People who are"veterans of WLS" are going to talk about their experience and take questions.

Edited by Lemm61

Thanks Lemm61, I am already signed up! Looking forward to it! Are you going to be there?

Your surgery date is so close, you must be thrilled!

Once your insurance requirement was met, how long did it take to get your surgery date? Is there a long wait at Duke?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Dr. Yoo is doing my surgery. I liked that he did my endoscopy as well so he's seen the inside as well as the outside!

Hey! He's doing my sleeve on 6/15! Howdy there surgery buddy!

Dr. Yoo is doing my surgery. I liked that he did my endoscopy as well so he's seen the inside as well as the outside!

Hey! He's doing my sleeve on 6/15! Howdy there surgery buddy!

becomingmandykaye, do you mind me asking you how far out your surgery was scheduled after your indurance requirements were approved. Just trying to get an idea on how far out the Duke program schedules, how long the wait might be?

I don't think my insurance is going to give me a wait period, so wondering just how long the Duke Office waiting period typically is?

THANKS!

do you mind me asking you how far out your surgery was scheduled after your indurance requirements were approved. Just trying to get an idea on how far out the Duke program schedules, how long the wait might be?

I don't think my insurance is going to give me a wait period, so wondering just how long the Duke Office waiting period typically is?

THANKS!

Well here's the scary part.

I'm not approved yet.

They won't submit it to insurance until after I have the endoscopy (required by the doctor, not my insurance). I pushed them for a surgery date because I really wanted my surgery in June (it's easier to take time off work then, rather than later in the summer).

Here's my timeline so far:

April 28 - surgery consultation

May 2 - NUT and psych consultations (and that's the end of my insurance requirements).

May 3 - called to find out what the timeline would be since I completed insurance reqs, they scheduled my endoscopy for June 6 (Dr. Yoo only performs these one Monday per month).

May 6 - called back because I hadn't heard anything about a surgery date - that's when they told me they wouldn't schedule it until after the endoscopy.

May 10 - they called to ask why I was pushing for a June date, concerned it was an issue with my insurance changing. I assured them it wasn't, it was just my preference and I had discussed it with Dr. Yoo (even though he didn't remember it)

May 16 - They called and gave me my pre-op and surgery dates.

Upcoming:

June 6 - endoscopy

***this is where I get twitchy - they told my my insurance has a 48 hour turnaround, so I'm trusting them***

June 9 - Pre-op

June 15 - surgery