Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you have reflux? Is there alternative treatment?

I have concerns about bot surgeries. For the sleeve I have a huge concern about reflux. I'm aware that long term use of acid blockers is dangerous (I'm also aware about the long term effect of obesity).

What I would like to know is how many people have reflux that requires treatment and what your treatment is. Without the surgery I don't usually have problems. There have been a few times I've had to take ppi for a couple weeks but I'm not wanting to go long term.

I have other concerns about bypass, one being that I have genetic reasons for not wanting to deal with mal absorbtion. So I do want the sleeve. But I'm concerned about acid.

I never ever had any reflux or issues prior to surgery I'm only 7 weeks post Opp sleeve surgery so it's early days

but I have reflux all day long especially after I get up in the morning and after I eat I burp and carry on all day it's awful I've been on Omeprazole since surgery I've just run out today so it shall be interesting to see how it all goes.

I know for anyone who has reflux issues prior to surgery they usually recommend the bypass instead.

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by Shell ????

Following. I never had issues before, but I'm starting to feel like it might be an issue now. I, too, am concerned about the effects of PPIs. My mom has kidney issues, so I would like to try to avoid that.

I developed severe reflux after VSG. I'm maxed out on PPIs (protonix in the am/dexilant in the pm/ Zantac before bed) and it doesn't control my acid. I'm discussing conversion to bypass with my surgeon and tentatively am looking to an end of June surgery date. I'm tired of sleeping sitting up, tired of coughing up stomach acid, tired of the constant pressure and burning in my chest even on acid blockers. I know there are some who will disagree with this position and claim that VSG will cure reflux, but if I had reflux or GERD before surgery I never would have had VSG. There are a few treatments other than PPIs: the Linx procedure or stretta which for me isn't covered by my insurance and may not solve my problem.

Anyway, yes there are treatments available other than PPIs, but I would think long and hard about having VSG if you have a problem with reflux. Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I struggled with reflux before surgery, especially if I ate too late before bed or if I ate certain foods. After surgery, I haven't had any reflux issues. I hope this continues. I'm six weeks out.

I developed severe reflux after VSG. I'm maxed out on PPIs (protonix in the am/dexilant in the pm/ Zantac before bed) and it doesn't control my acid. I'm discussing conversion to bypass with my surgeon and tentatively am looking to an end of June surgery date. I'm tired of sleeping sitting up, tired of coughing up stomach acid, tired of the constant pressure and burning in my chest even on acid blockers. I know there are some who will disagree with this position and claim that VSG will cure reflux, but if I had reflux or GERD before surgery I never would have had VSG. There are a few treatments other than PPIs: the Linx procedure or stretta which for me isn't covered by my insurance and may not solve my problem.

Anyway, yes there are treatments available other than PPIs, but I would think long and hard about having VSG if you have a problem with reflux. Good luck to you!

I've had an occurrence of Gerd once with the band. And then twice when I've taken too many Vitamins with not enough Water and they sort of burned my stomach (one of those times being now). A week or two of ppi and then I taper off and I'm done. I don't really have a problem with it. In normal people (too early to think of a better term) reflux is often caused by not enough acid. So taking hcl and enzymes prevents it (without side effects). But I don't know if that's the case with the sleeve because it seems like reflux is due to different shape/pressure keeping the sphincter open. I did recently see one person in one of the forums stating they stopped their Gerd with acv and enzymes. But I don't know if that is an individual case.

I had bad acid reflux b4 surgery but it got worse after I had the sleeve. I have to take a prescription acid blocker 40 MG in the am and a 20 MG acid blocker at night an still sometimes once in a great while need antacid tablets. It's managed well. But nervous to try an get takin off of em I'm 5 months out. I still would not trade anything for this experance an it's been worth it 100%. Down 103 pds.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using the BariatricPal App

I had bad acid reflux b4 surgery but it got worse after I had the sleeve. I have to take a prescription acid blocker 40 MG in the am and a 20 MG acid blocker at night an still sometimes once in a great while need antacid tablets. It's managed well. But nervous to try an get takin off of em I'm 5 months out. I still would not trade anything for this experance an it's been worth it 100%. Down 103 pds.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using the BariatricPal App

Great job! What was your reason for going with the sleeve? The doctors I've talked to say reflux is the biggest thing against the sleeve and patients with Gerd shouldn't get it.

Thanks for your info. It's a difficult decision.

Does insurance cover the conversion to bypass? My plan is terrible and probably wont. They can't even figure out if the surgery is covered at all. Yay for abc.

Yes, my insurance has agreed to cover conversion to bypass.

I know I'm not the norm, but the sleeve actually solved my reflux issues. I had horrible reflux before surgery, and laying horizontal pretty much guaranteed I was going to wake up with bile in the back of my throat. I was TERRIFIED if it becoming worse after surgery. However, I have never ever had a single instance of reflux since I got the sleeve. There was nausea in the beginning like everyone else, and occasionally I have vomited if I drank too soon after eating, but no reflux. I never even had to take any anti-acid meds. It's wonderful.

Edited by BarrySue

I know I'm not the norm, but the sleeve actually solved my reflux issues. I had horrible reflux before surgery, and laying horizontal pretty much guaranteed I was going to wake up with bile in the back of my throat. I was TERRIFIED if it becoming worse after surgery. However, I have never ever had a single instance of reflux since I got the sleeve. There was nausea in the beginning like everyone else, and occasionally I have vomited if I drank too soon after eating, but no reflux. I never even had to take any anti-acid meds. It's wonderful.

Awesome! How far out are you?

I know for anyone who has reflux issues prior to surgery they usually recommend the bypass instead.

Sent from my iPhone

Nope. I had been on omeprazole preop for reflux. No problems with it postop. We'll re-evaluate whether I still need it about every three months. I have been on omeprazole for about four years with no issues. My EGD shosed no esophageal erosion from the reflux, so no damage from it. Many, many obese people have reflux from abdominal fat. Once the abdominal fat reduces, so, often, does the reflux.