Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need to know it gets better!

I was sleeved 28 April 2016 and can say it was the best decision. First few days I suffered immensely from nausea, I could barely get down fluids and the gas pain especially in my shoulders drove me nuts. What I can say is following doctors orders really helped and sipping small amounts per hour. I am thankful for the two week pre-op liquid diet before surgery as that I think it prepared me for post op success.

It really does get better.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm 3 weeks post op.

You are in the worst of it now, so stay strong. Days 3-5 were the worst for me, and even made me question my decision. Believe me, you will start feeling better soon.

It's very unlikely you are feeling real hunger, as your stomach was just literally cut apart and reassembled. It is injured and swollen. However, as was already mentioned, stomach acid can feel similar to hunger. I thought I was feeling hunger, but I had forgotten to take my morning Prilosec. As long as I stay on top of that, the feeling hasn't returned.

Try not to focus on the scale. It's easy to forget that our body just went through a major trauma. The first few weeks are about healing and taking good care of your new stomach. The weight will come off in time. I've only lost 10 lbs since surgery, and in the past 2 days I actually gained 2 pounds. I'm not worried. I am eating a max of 800 calories a day (simply because that is all I CAN eat) and at that low of an intake, it is literally impossible to gain weight from fat. Your body needs more than that just to run basic functions. Water retention is the most likely culprit, so make sure you stay hydrated or your body will hold onto Water even harder.

I haven't has surgery yet, but I thought 800 calories would be a lot at 3 weeks.

I've had my band out since Nov and am awaiting conversion to sleeve. I get less than 1000 calories with or without the band and I've gained all mine back (prior to removal and while still vomiting several times a week). Now I'm Second guessing doing it!

I was sleeved on Tuesday and have no idea what I've done to my self. :-/

Me too had surgery on Tuesday May 10th and thinking it was a huge mistake. I'm so gassy and bloated and tired. I'm walking all the time and burp the whole time I'm walking. Is that normal?
It's been a week since you said this. How do you feel now?

I'm 3 weeks post op.

You are in the worst of it now, so stay strong. Days 3-5 were the worst for me, and even made me question my decision. Believe me, you will start feeling better soon.

It's very unlikely you are feeling real hunger, as your stomach was just literally cut apart and reassembled. It is injured and swollen. However, as was already mentioned, stomach acid can feel similar to hunger. I thought I was feeling hunger, but I had forgotten to take my morning Prilosec. As long as I stay on top of that, the feeling hasn't returned.

Try not to focus on the scale. It's easy to forget that our body just went through a major trauma. The first few weeks are about healing and taking good care of your new stomach. The weight will come off in time. I've only lost 10 lbs since surgery, and in the past 2 days I actually gained 2 pounds. I'm not worried. I am eating a max of 800 calories a day (simply because that is all I CAN eat) and at that low of an intake, it is literally impossible to gain weight from fat. Your body needs more than that just to run basic functions. Water retention is the most likely culprit, so make sure you stay hydrated or your body will hold onto Water even harder.

I haven't has surgery yet, but I thought 800 calories would be a lot at 3 weeks.

I've had my band out since Nov and am awaiting conversion to sleeve. I get less than 1000 calories with or without the band and I've gained all mine back (prior to removal and while still vomiting several times a week). Now I'm Second guessing doing it!

Do you have other conditions that make it hard to lose weight? I know some can make it harder, or you could just have a low metabolism. I actually don't want to eat less than 800 calories and I am trying to get closer to 1,000 because I don't want to risk slowing down my metabolism.

From what I have read about basal metabolic rate (the number of calories the body uses to do nothing but lie down), the average healthy-weight woman has to eat around 1,400 calories to maintain weight. People who weigh more, actually use more calories and have an even higher rate. However, this is assuming there are no other factors such as metabolic disorders. Repeatedly dieting has also been shown to slow down the metabolism (see the recent Biggest Loser study that the NY Times published).

Also, keep in mind, the sleeve may still help you. From what my bariatric program said, the sleeve does more than just restrict the amount of food you eat like the lap band. In fact, they have switched all the documentation in my program and are calling it metabolic surgery instead of bariatric surgery. Removing most of the stomach also lowers a lot of the hormones it releases such as ghrelin. It can supposedly "reset" your metabolism to a more healthy point, so people who have slowed down their metabolism through illness or repeated dieting can start losing again. It's why many diabetics are able to stop their medications right after surgery, even before they lose weight.