Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Sleeve or not to sleeve.....

That is the question?!?

I am running the gambit of emotions here. A dear friend of mine was sleeved about two weeks ago, and she is the reason I am considering the surgery. I have considered it in the past, but dismissed it because I always thought I would eventually achieve the weight loss on my own. Well, that hasn't happened.

My biggest question to myself is, if I am going to have to make the food and exercise lifestyle changes anyway, then why should I spend the money and go through the risks of surgery? My answer to myself is - because I won't have a choice (as far as food goes). And my husband asked, You aren't working out now, why will it be any different than if you have surgery? (he didn't say this maliciously, he has always been very supportive of me in my bajillion Weight Loss attempts)

I am so conflicted. The thought of getting to a healthy weight is absolutely exhilarating. The only time I have been at a healthy weight is when I first met my husband (over 20 years ago) and even then I was probably considered overweight.

With less weight, it's easier to exercise. Plus you can build a great support system of people who know what you are going through and can motivate you. Plus it's a big decision to do weight loss surgery. A lot of people aren't willing to waste the time and effort they put into getting the surgery by slacking off. Plus it's a lot easier to re-lose five lbs than 100 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Only you will be able to decide if the surgery is worth it for you. A lot of people decide to keep doing it on their own when the pre-op weight loss goes well. Some aren't willing to take the risks of surgery. It's a personal choice.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@ I felt this way - and always said "it's too drastic - I'll do it on my own" - but here I am almost 48 years old, 289lbs with hypertension, sleep Apnea, hypothyroid, degenerative disc disease and more. I could tell myself I can do it on my own right until I'm having to ride around in a hoveround. I have lost before - but then always found it again.

It's obviously your decision and you know what's best for you - but consider that only 5% of morbidly obese people who lose lots of weight on their own are able to maintain and keep it off. I need WLS as a tool to help me lose weight but also to maintain.

Good luck with your decision!

@

The difference for me has been, I am able to lose weight without stress. In the past diets stressed me out and I felt like I was missing out on things. Now I have a small stomach I can satisfy with very little food. I have the safety net of knowing if I eat something off plan, I can only eat a little bit. I also find that if I eat something off plan, it is a one time thing, not a binge and I go right back to eating how I normally eat (because I actually enjoy how I eat now). I low carbed and Keto'd before surgery but it was hard, I would consume too many calories and I felt deprived all the time. I don't have those feelings anymore. I can eat healthy and in the correct portions and it feels natural to me. I could never get to that point prior to surgery.

Don't discount the hormone removal issue of the sleeve, I feel it is really the biggest part of it, more than the restriction. It makes a massive difference.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

What @@OutsideMatchInside said.

It's just bloody easier with the sleeve. With the ghrelin gone, I have a lot less appetite. Yes, I get hungry, but not eat every carb in the house crazy-hungry.

The restriction is really there -- if you eat nutritiously and not crap. You finally will reach your weight loss goal.

Exercise and daily activities will become so much easier when you're not in pain anymore from obesity.

The anxiety truly is less -- once you get over all the pre-op jitters and the WTF am I supposed to do now / what's my daily regimen / which food phase am I in now silliness.

I have lost 100 pounds -- 19 pre-op and 81 post-op. I've been at or below goal for the last year. I weigh 135 pounds. I'm 70 years old and feel 50. I look great. I feel even better.

This is the first f**king time in my whole life I've ever reached a normal weight and maintained it for a year!

Still, I have no illusions that I'm "done." Now, my goal is to be at or below goal when I'm three years post-op.

That is the question?!?

I am running the gambit of emotions here. A dear friend of mine was sleeved about two weeks ago, and she is the reason I am considering the surgery. I have considered it in the past, but dismissed it because I always thought I would eventually achieve the weight loss on my own. Well, that hasn't happened.

My biggest question to myself is, if I am going to have to make the food and exercise lifestyle changes anyway, then why should I spend the money and go through the risks of surgery? My answer to myself is - because I won't have a choice (as far as food goes). And my husband asked, You aren't working out now, why will it be any different than if you have surgery? (he didn't say this maliciously, he has always been very supportive of me in my bajillion Weight Loss attempts)

I am so conflicted. The thought of getting to a healthy weight is absolutely exhilarating. The only time I have been at a healthy weight is when I first met my husband (over 20 years ago) and even then I was probably considered overweight.

I can only tell you that the surgery has made it much easier for me to cut down on how much I eat. Once I lost weight, it was much easier to exercise. I know that people can gain weight after surgery, but truthfully, it would be harder for me to gain weight than to continue to lose weight. I would have to put a lot of effort and time into gaining weight.

Good topic. I have been going back and forth with between the VSG and RNY myself. I got approved for the RNY but now I'm really thinking to change to sleeve.

@ I've been asking those same questions to myself. I haven't really told anyone about the surgery except for my daughter and parents. My parents are not having it at all so I pretty much keep it to myself. I think that's why the decision is so hard.....no one to really talk to thru.

Good topic. I have been going back and forth with between the VSG and RNY myself. I got approved for the RNY but now I'm really thinking to change to sleeve.

@ I've been asking those same questions to myself. I haven't really told anyone about the surgery except for my daughter and parents. My parents are not having it at all so I pretty much keep it to myself. I think that's why the decision is so hard.....no one to really talk to thru.

Making the decision to have surgery is a big decision. I knew I needed to do something and went to a seminar about weight loss surgery. I left the seminar feeling very conflicted. A woman walked past me who had a huge smile. I said, "That was a lot to think about." Her reply was "I am so excited! I can't wait to do the surgery! I'm ready today!" I sure didn't feel that way. I spent weeks trying to wrap my head around such a drastic lifestyle change. Even on the day of surgery I was not excited the way that woman was after the seminar.

Now, 11 months out from gastric bypass surgery, I know I made the right choice. I should have been ecstatic heading into surgery. Surgery was the best choice I have ever made. I have lost 176 lbs., have a normal BMI and I'm more physically fit than I've been in 25 years.

By the way, I chose gastric bypass surgery instead of the sleeve because I had a BMI over 45. I chose the surgery that would give me the highest amount of weight loss. (The sleeve does not have the same success rate.) I also wanted the gastric bypass because there are serious consequences when you eat the wrong things. Sugar, rich foods and greasy things make me sick so I won't even touch them.

@daniotra @KristenLe @OutsideMatchInside @VSGAnn2014 @@nyseness @@CharlotteKat @@PayItForward Thank you all for your responses!

After thinking about it a couple of days, I have decided to go forward with the process. I met with the doctor on May 12th, he said that I am a good candidate for the surgery. I met with the nutritionist who told me that I should start changing diet to mimic (although in larger portions) what I will be eating around 12 weeks post op (and have to keep food journals to turn in to her) I went to a support group meeting (a monthly requirement until I have the surgery, and a year post-op) I have contacted my insurance and they have indicated that they will cover the procedure (of course, still have to get formal approval once the doctor submits it). So for now, all systems are moving forward!

It's about getting all the way to the goal that you really want, and staying there. Almost everybody who has the surgery has lost a huge amount of weight on their own. The problem was that we could not sustain that weight loss. The sleeve makes it much more possible to do so, as it is a permanent alteration to our anatomy.