Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does your body get used to the fluid intake?

So .. I have to confess that I'm terrified about the amount I have to drink post surgery.. 64 oz.. right now I drink maybe.. half of that.. MAYBE. And I tend to have the reaction that if I drink much more, I'm constantly having to pee.. like.. every 10 minutes.. I have the feeling that if I drank 64 oz a day I would need to come HOME from the hospital with a catheter because pee would just be constantly coming out XD :D Does anyone else have this problem? How did you handle it?

I'm only a month out but I've gotten used to it. I think the most difficult thing is probably learning to multitask drinking and doing whatever else. Otherwise it is a struggle. It was difficult post op while I was hooked up to the IV because you definitely don't feel thirsty. But make it a habit ASAP.

As far as peeing a lot... I can't help you there. I've got severe hairstylist bladder.

When you lose weight and have more room in your torso, your bladder will be able to hold more. I am shocked at how long I urinate for now. Sometimes in the morning I get almost bored waiting for it to end.

Anyway it will probably be hard for you to get to 64 for a while anyway, and the Fluid in your food and Protein counts too. We get hydration from everything we eat and drink, even coffee.

I drink lots of Water per day now pre surgery, when I first started I use to pee often, think the body/bladder had to adjust to constantly having liquids... Maybe try to start upping your Water intake now... I keep a bottle of water with me at all times, sometimes I add lemon just to change up the taste... I find on a day I haven't drank my usually amount of water I don't feel good... I recently started using crystal light on the go packs, they help on days when I'm not doing well getting in water.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It's really not so difficult once you get past the first month or so.

Everything, in fact, became much easier for me by the end of the second month. I've got 99 problems but Water intake is not one. ;)

I got this cute app that reminds me to drink Water its name is plant nanny they ask for your age and weight and level of activity then calculate the amount of Water u should be drinking every day by watering your plant it's kind cute I'm still straggling to finish the required amount per day but I'm improving post-291930-14631339982864_thumb.jpg

OMG that app is so cuuuuuteee I have to have it. Now.

When you lose weight and have more room in your torso, your bladder will be able to hold more. I am shocked at how long I urinate for now. Sometimes in the morning I get almost bored waiting for it to end.

Anyway it will probably be hard for you to get to 64 for a while anyway, and the Fluid in your food and Protein counts too. We get hydration from everything we eat and drink, even coffee.

What is this!? The Water in our food counts too? How do we count Fluid when it comes from water.. I mean a Protein shake is pretty easy or coffee.. or low cal juice etc.. it's just the fluid ounces but how do you count the fluid from food!?

Also even though it's hard isn't it like absolutely vitally important to be able to drink the 64?

you can start trying to drink more now, and get used to it. Hydration is so important to our body's proper function. Add lemon slices, or cucumber if you like, and I also love the Vitamin Water zero lemonaid especially. Fairlife milk, and Protein shakes count...... but the more you can meet that goal and exceed it a bit the better I think you'll feel.

OMG that app is so cuuuuuteee I have to have it. Now.

What is this!? The Water in our food counts too? How do we count Fluid when it comes from water.. I mean a Protein shake is pretty easy or coffee.. or low cal juice etc.. it's just the fluid ounces but how do you count the fluid from food!?

Also even though it's hard isn't it like absolutely vitally important to be able to drink the 64?

Try to drink 64 oz of Water on top of whatever you eat.

I drink a lot of Water / non-caloric drinks pre-surgery. Yes - I pee a lot - but more when I'm at work and sitting at my desk all day. I rarely wake up during the night to go (sometimes I have to go but I'm too lazy to get out of bed). Anyway - at work, I feel like it's a good time to get up and move around - get some circulation going rather than sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours straight. I can go a long time without peeing too - depends on the situation or setting. I've probably had 60 ozs of Water today (it's 2:30 pm). My water intake will be in the form of Bloody Mary's tonight (still pre-surgery so no need for anyone to lecture me). ;-)

I've also heard that when you are smaller your bladder can hold more than when you were bigger. I can't say yet how it'll be post surgery but I know now my morning pees feel like my bladder is going to burst but I also carry most of my weight in my torso. I don't remember ever feeling that before I gained weight.

PS I love drinking Water out of a straw vs a plain cup....

That would be awesome. I'm a nurse and sometimes forget I haven't peed all day. A bladder that holds more and I can be some kind of superhero! Lol