Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Old Timers-What is the point of WLS if many regain/have hunger/diet drama..

Trying to get 'a family loan' to pay for WLS as my insurance coverage is as bad as my credit! As a result; my dad is educating himself and has noted how many people on average only lose 60-75% on the excess weight, still report hunger, issues with slider foods, the need for exercise and the re-gaining of some of even that weight. His thought is that the majority of the loss from the Sleeve is the shock/recovery of the surgery (hence why most of the weight loss is in the first year) and then after that it is business as usual-but now with a missing stomach.

He says if you have to take supplements, exercise, diet restrictions why have the surgery, just "do" that and if I can't do that now, how can I then.

Slider foods and excessive carbs are a risk, but do they do down after the Sleeve?

Like most of you, I have lost and gained weight MANY times before. I hear the "all you have to" do it eat right, but clearly I can not..what will change with surgery?

I know WLS is a tool, and I would expect not to ever regain it all, but what about years out there. Not a year or two..but years.

Thoughts? Mainly from the Old Timers and Thank you.

post-291635-0-91642600-1463082708_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anna Nim

I was sleeved April 20, 2015.

I am on disability, was almost 600 pounds and almost completely immobile. I was probably one fall away from being bedridden. My metabolism was so broken that it was a battle to not gain weight. I knew I was one more diet away from being over 600 pounds.

The difference so far for me is that with the initial weight loss (I am down over 200 pounds) I am regaining my mobility and can actually exercise. I am able to eat more nutritiously than I have been my whole life.

Because of the sleeve, I can focus on maximizing nutrition and be satisfied with small amounts of food. Pre-op, it was a battle to minimize calories while maximizing volume to feel satisfied. My body was fighting back every step of the way.

Now, I work hard and can see results. Pre-op, I worked hard for little or no result.

It is night and day difference.

I fully intend to lose as much as my body wants to lose. IF I never lose another pound, it is still worth it for me in quality of life improvement.

I think that many people have tried to lose weight by taking supplements, exercise, and diet restrictions. They may lose weight for a while but then most gain the weight back and then some. It just doesn't seem to work.

I am 3 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery. Before surgery, hunger was continuously gnawing at my bones. While I was eating a meal, I was already planning my next meal. After surgery, I completely lost my hunger. It was not difficult to lose weight when hunger is not constantly continuously gnawing at my bones. About a year after surgery, my hunger began to return but it was not very strong. Even 3 years now, the intensity of hunger is mild. Because my stomach is smaller, if I try and eat more than a cup and a half of food at a meal, I literally get sick and vomit for a couple hours. So I am very attuned to my stomach and when it feels full I immediately stop.

@@Inner Surfer Girl Wow! I can totally get the battle to feel full!! Always in my head..

@@KristenLe My Dad is in VA. To his credit, he has been all over the internet, Doctor sites, youtube. I gave him a link to this site. He is worried, and so am I. But, like I said, I've been up and down and I am kinda done with the "All you have to do's"..

I had severe acid reflux (GERD). As a result, this is a recommended surgery because the sleeve will only make the condition worse.

Also, RNY gastric bypass is almost a gold standard. It has been around a lot longer and they have for the most part got the bugs worked out. It has one of the lowest revision rates and I decided if I underwent the knife once, I sure would not want to repeat the experience.

Even if you only get to 60-75% of the excess weight off with the surgery it puts you in a fantastic spot to be able to do the rest "on your own". If your following your doctors program then you should know how and what to eat at that point and be able to work on your head hunger and still be proud of yourself. That is still over half the weight gone. These surgeries are merely tools to help you reach your goals, you still have to put in the work no matter what you choose.

It's great that he's worried about you but I think you should take him to a support group and encourage him to answer these questions there, it could be very insightful for both of you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

UPDATE: After researching a lot on the internet, my Dad has agreed to loan me 50% (repay at $250 a month) and give me the other 50% towards LGS surgery.

The caveat is that I have to spend at least three months in a post-WLS diet. Basically eating good, low carb, organic high Protein, no sodas, booze, Cookies or crap and take the supplements from Life Extension that are reported to help with appetite and general nutrition, that he has already sent to me.

The carrot is that if after three months, if I decide not to have WLS surgery, I can use the 5K gift towards a Physical Trainer, Gym Membership, supplements, etc and if I lose 100 lbs all on my own, he will gift me an additional 5K towards a Tummy Tuck (which as low as I carried my son all those years ago, I will need). Basically a 5k carrot to not have surgery.

His hope is that I may decide not to have the surgery, that I will find the key to keep off the weight.

He is making it as supportive as possible to either do or not do surgery.

He has come to the realization, like I have, that at age 46 (as of yesterday) and 285 with a bum knee and overweight since forever that the "all you have to" 's are not working now. Of course he is concerned about such a very serious surgery.

While it is really good news, I was hoping that I could have surgery in the summer. As a teacher, it is the best time. I would have to have the surgery no earlier than Thanksgiving (which is about 6 months from now). I could have off two, maybe three days of leave, plus the week/weekends of Thanksgiving-giving me at total of 11-12 days off work. Then, I would be back for three weeks to trudge thru before the Holiday Break of 16 days.

On the plus size, at least getting into a healthy, lower carb mindset for the next 6 months (as if we haven't all done this in the past), will at least get some of the weight off pre-surgery and make me feel like I tried "one more time" before going under the knife. My Dad didn't say "until surgery' but "3 months", but clearly with Thanksgiving being my planned date, I might as well keep up the good work. Maybe I will lose 50 pounds!

I do admit I really wanted to have surgery this summer. I just took a double walk around the school with some AU kiddos and realized how incredibly out of shape I am.