Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

any bandsters in Little Rock, AR?

Hi ladies, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here...

I came to the boards last year around this time seeking info on Dr. Wellborn, attended his seminar & was pushed aside b/c he did not take Fed BCBS. At that point I got frustrated so I just decided to try another diet. Failed. I'm back to wanting the lap band and have sought info on Dr. Baker--I've heard a lot of good things about him & have recently been in touch with his offices. I'm scheduled for his seminar on the 19th and will do the support group meeting on the 14th. I guess you do all this plus labs before you even get a consult? Is this usual protocall? I'm a nervous wreck.

I went thru the same thing. But i have been VERY VERY impressed with Dr Baker. His seminar is much more focused on HEALTH and WELLNESS. Not a SINGLE "before and after" picture and not a SINGLE mention of cost or how to finance. BUt he focused on how your health would be improved and on what HEALTHY changes you will need to make and if you are NOT willing to make them he doesnt want you as a patient.

I too will be at the support group on 02-14 look for the gal with SPIKY RED hair-- im not hard to miss :-) GOOD LUCK and if you want to chat i am starkiss_319 on YAHOO.

April,

You are the first person I've seen that has mention Dr. Baker and Dr. Grimes. I've started checking on the Lapband and my daughter's friends who are nurses in Little Rock speak very highly of both . I'm seriously thinking of checking into Dr. Baker.

I was impressed with Dr Baker and my doctor has referred several people to him, all have lost weight with out any health complications. I like his no nonsense approach to it, how he is REALLY focused on HEALTH benefits-- that is what finally sold me. He showed statistics that clsoe to 100% of the people with PMDD are cured of PMDD after the lap band-- hell if i didnt loose a SINGLE POUND and my PMDD was cured THAT alone would be worth EVERY THING!!

Come to the support group on 02-14 ill be there would LOVE to chat !!

Hello,

I have read this thread and am interested in the possibility of having my surgury in Little Rock.

I'll try to explain my situation as briefly as possible. Last year I attended a seminar in Memphis by Dr George Woodman (my sister used him) I didn't follow thru immediately because I decided to do research on my own. I couldn't decide between the lap band and the bypass surguery.

In June of this year I decided to get serioius about this and decided on the lap band procedure. I knew that I needed to get my last five years weight records from my doctor. Unfortunately, I changed doctors two years ago. So I'll need to bo back to my other doctor I guess.

Last month, after much research, I decided to go to a different surgeon. Dr Woodman is highly regarded as a surgeon but I have heard horror stories about his bedside manner. I called Dr Virgina McGrath-Weaver's office and just received my packet. Now I am totally frustrated.

I have to go see a psychlogist (i knew that part), see a nutritionist twice, get an EKG, a stress test and an upper GI. I have no problem with this. But, I also have to see my regualr doctor for 6 months for "supervised weight loss plan". The only thing I have is 3 months of taking phentermine with absolutely no success. I can't bear the thought of waiting another 3 months or more!!!!

Did your doctors in Little Rock have these same requirements? My original plan was to go to Little Rock post op to stay with my aunt for a few months. (her daughter owns a gym and has offered me a free membership) Now I'm thinking of finding a surgeon in Little Rock.

Please let me know what your thoughts are. What were the requirements? and how long did the whole pre op process take?

Very frustrated

Jacki

my insurance did not require those things so i have not had to do them ( Fed BCBS ). Dr. Baker requires you attend a seminar, a support group and listen in on a dietican call. You can complete your forms ONLINE and they answer emails quickly. https://drbaker.patienthub.com/login.asp

Would love to shat with you about it!

anybody want to meet together for support?

wow, you used Dr. LUTTRELL????? I attended his seminar last week. I liked what I saw.......Id love to visit with you!

my surgery is exactly a week from today. needless to say, i'm getting a little nervous. i know however that it is the best thing for me. i started the process and left the rest up to God, so here we go.

How is the Bandster by now? Losing ok?

Hi everyone, I'm butting in again...hope you don't mind.

Dr. Baker is great...and like someone said above...I admire his "no nonsense" approach. He's direct & to the point...he doesn't skirt around issues & is upfront, honest & I truly believe he CARES.

I only went to 1 support group meeting & have not been back...it was really too big for me...I was gunshy I guess...didn't feel like I could actually support or be supported b/c the room was so big with like probably over 100 people there. Post & Pre bandsters too.

wow, you used Dr. LUTTRELL????? I attended his seminar last week. I liked what I saw.......Id love to visit with you!

I too used Dr. Luttrell and have been very pleased with everything from the seminar to current. I've lost over 70 pounds since October, and I feel great. The support that I've received from both Dr. Luttrell and Erin at his office has been phenomenal.

I would highly recommend Dr. Luttrell to anyone. The best decision I've ever made!

I too used Dr. Luttrell and have been very pleased with everything from the seminar to current. I've lost over 70 pounds since October, and I feel great. The support that I've received from both Dr. Luttrell and Erin at his office has been phenomenal.

I would highly recommend Dr. Luttrell to anyone. The best decision I've ever made!

Oh mY, thank you for the response, I have prayed to be led each step of this journey,. I have had about 5 hurdles to get over and one by one i am seeing them just fall into place. and you have helped my peace of mind greatly with this response. I would cherrish some one on one time with you,. I am skipping choir practice tonight,,,,,if you want to call i would love to visit,,,,,982-2324 am in jacksonville.....or office is 843-2128.

COngratulations on your loss. that is so wonderful.

Mary

Oh mY, thank you for the response, I have prayed to be led each step of this journey,. I have had about 5 hurdles to get over and one by one i am seeing them just fall into place. and you have helped my peace of mind greatly with this response. I would cherrish some one on one time with you,. I am skipping choir practice tonight,,,,,if you want to call i would love to visit,,,,,982-2324 am in jacksonville.....or office is 843-2128.

COngratulations on your loss. that is so wonderful.

Mary

Mary, I am actually attending a support group meeting at Dr. Luttrell's office tonight. I certainly think that they would be fine if you wanted to attend. The group is awesome - usually around 15 people (some pre-surgery and some post). If you wanted to attend that seminar, I think it would be a huge resource for you. You might call Erin or Regi at Dr. Luttrell's office - 978-4343 and tell them you would like to attend.

I hope to see you there!

my insurance did not require those things so i have not had to do them ( Fed BCBS ). Dr. Baker requires you attend a seminar, a support group and listen in on a dietican call. You can complete your forms ONLINE and they answer emails quickly. https://drbaker.patienthub.com/login.asp

Would love to shat with you about it!

Hello, I'm new here...

Thinking about lap band surgery in Little Rock area.

I currently live in Birmingham, Alabama and will be moving whenever my house sells. I'm glad to see this someone else here from Little Rock.

Question: Should I wait until I move to have surgery?

It could take a year to sell my house and I don't want to wait that long, but if it is best to do so, then I would.

Whadda think?

Hello, I'm new here...

Thinking about lap band surgery in Little Rock area.

I currently live in Birmingham, Alabama and will be moving whenever my house sells. I'm glad to see this someone else here from Little Rock.

Question: Should I wait until I move to have surgery?

It could take a year to sell my house and I don't want to wait that long, but if it is best to do so, then I would.

Whadda think?

hi there, i HAD MY SIX MONTH ANNIVERSARY YEsterday. I have lost 60 pounds and would totally tell you to come to little rock for the surgery and use Dr. WEllborn and his staff. The education after and during and the followup care is the best I know of! Good luck on your decision., If I can help in anyway,,,,,holler loud. I have a nephew and family that live in muscle shoals,,,,

hey, i'm tabatha...mary melody knows me, or did.

so i see mary that you had your surgery congratulations!!!! i'm so glad to see/hear that you are doing well.. let me know when you are ready to start walking i need to walk too.

i finally started losing weight. so, after a year....and......um.....welll....almost 2 years. (oct 07) i have finally lost 46 lbs. so i know weigh 190 lbs. which is awesome for me. but i haven't been losing any weight until i was layed off from my job in january. it is still really slow and steady and i haven't had a fill in over a year....actually unfilled (twice)... really it's been more like 1 1/2 years.

best luck to all and i hope you all lose weight better than i. i needed my hormones to be balanced....now they are, the acne is gone and i'm losing weight at a very good slow steady pace.

but i will say that i have had SEVERAL doctors tell me that the lap band is the worse thing i could have done for myself.

of course, don't take that the wrong way, i'm defensive too...but i was banded, got pregnant, miscarried, long 'natural' infectios miscarriage, had a surgery to fix the miscarriage, had another, and another, had a hysterectomy, lost my job from my health, have full blown fibromyalgia. NOW i'm losing weight...loll....

Girrrrl! I just totally lost you!. I am still truckin at the Title CO.

We have picked up considerably, but I feel it will be short lived, cause the rates are going up again.

The Band has done well for me. It has been easy easy, and I have no regrets at this point. I have kinda come to a standstill on the loss. I made it to 60 and now i think I might have to get in gear with some calorie burning. It is just hard when you work all day to come home and tackle exercise.

Are you working anywhere?

Holler back when ya can.

Mary

hey, i'm tabatha...mary melody knows me, or did.

so i see mary that you had your surgery congratulations!!!! i'm so glad to see/hear that you are doing well.. let me know when you are ready to start walking i need to walk too.

i finally started losing weight. so, after a year....and......um.....welll....almost 2 years. (oct 07) i have finally lost 46 lbs. so i know weigh 190 lbs. which is awesome for me. but i haven't been losing any weight until i was layed off from my job in january. it is still really slow and steady and i haven't had a fill in over a year....actually unfilled (twice)... really it's been more like 1 1/2 years.

best luck to all and i hope you all lose weight better than i. i needed my hormones to be balanced....now they are, the acne is gone and i'm losing weight at a very good slow steady pace.

but i will say that i have had SEVERAL doctors tell me that the lap band is the worse thing i could have done for myself.

of course, don't take that the wrong way, i'm defensive too...but i was banded, got pregnant, miscarried, long 'natural' infectios miscarriage, had a surgery to fix the miscarriage, had another, and another, had a hysterectomy, lost my job from my health, have full blown fibromyalgia. NOW i'm losing weight...loll....