Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone not have to do 2 weeks diet pre op?

Ok,

I'm trying hard to trust this new doctor that is coming on..... But the surgeon I originally had told me I would have to have a full liquid diet for 2 weeks pre op..... And that its dangerious not to follow the diet. In fact, if I didn't that he would know when he opened me up seeing that my liver didnt strink and wouldn't preform surgery.

Got the call I've been waiting on today to schedule surgery..... June 14th!! Yay!!!

But she said this new doctor doesn't require you having to do the liquid diet pre-op as we have to deal with a lot as it is....

So please please please tell me if any of you guys were told the same thing and if you had good or bad results..... I only want to hear from people that was told the same thing!!! Thank you!

Sent from my VS986 using the BariatricPal App

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

When you get your Abdominal Ultrasound, that determines whether you need to do the 2 week pre-op diet or not. If you have a fatty liver, the diet helps the liver to shrink so that the surgeon has easier access to the stomach which can be covered by a fatty liver. However, if your liver isn't too massive, you'll be fine. My surgeon will only have me on a liquid diet for 2 days before surgery. I am 5'5.5" 250 lbs.

I had to do a week of 1,000 calorie diet with low carbs, below 100. After surgery my doctor said I had a beautiful liver.

Just clear liquids the day before my surgery.

I did not have to do it either here in UK. I know that lots over here have had to follow a 2 week diet. I actually put myself on Soup two days before my operation and of course nothing after midnight only Water on the morning of surgery

My pre-op diet wasn't super strict either. I had to drink a Protein shake for Breakfast, one for lunch, and then my dinner could be a Protein and non-starchy veggies, but no limit on size of the dinners....then in the last pre-op (2 days prior to surger), the doc told me to go out and Celebrate with my guilty pleasure dinner....lol.....but I was a little nervous to do that, so I kept it reasonable.

Each surgeon has a different program and typically each patient is given specific instructions. I know the pre-op diet is to reduce the size of the liver to make it easier for the surgeon to work in that area. If you're concerned, request an appointment directly with the surgeon and ask the question....

Good luck!

I only had to try to eat "clean" and clear liquids only 24hrs pre-op. Post-op it was clear for 2 days and on the 3rd I started pureed food.

The pre-op & post-op vary greatly so follow your surgeons directions.

None for me. Had a month of an altered diet. Breakfast of a shake or Meal Replacement (ie one of their Protein Soups, etc). A snack. lunch same as breakfast. Another snack. dinner was a lean cuisine type of meal-but it had to reach a certain calorie count, if not, I had to add a side, like a salad or green Beans, etc. Then on clears one day preop. That was it. And I was 403 day of surgery.

Edited by Mistie

I didn't have to do a pre op diet. Frequently the pre op diet is to help shrink the liver.

Ok,

I'm trying hard to trust this new doctor that is coming on..... But the surgeon I originally had told me I would have to have a full liquid diet for 2 weeks pre op..... And that its dangerious not to follow the diet. In fact, if I didn't that he would know when he opened me up seeing that my liver didnt strink and wouldn't preform surgery.

Got the call I've been waiting on today to schedule surgery..... June 14th!! Yay!!!

But she said this new doctor doesn't require you having to do the liquid diet pre-op as we have to deal with a lot as it is....

So please please please tell me if any of you guys were told the same thing and if you had good or bad results..... I only want to hear from people that was told the same thing!!! Thank you!

Sent from my VS986 using the BariatricPal App

I never had to do the diet. I was shocked when I saw everyone on this forum saying they were on a liquid pre op diet.

I ate normally before my surgery.