Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Before surgery, I have had an issue with low back pain for several years...no structural problems. I first put it down to my weight, then my poor posture, then my mattress (got a new one). I would get massages and had a few chiro adjustments and they would give a little temporary relief. I tried rolling on that noodle thing and it would help if my back "popped."

HERE IS THE WEIRD PART. After I had my gastric sleeve on March 16th and I went home, I had NO back pain. NONE! I was over-the-moon. I could not believe it. I was walking around like I was 25. I felt wonderful. I realized how happy having that pain gone made me.

Fast forward two weeks and the back pain has gradually come back. Now it is back where it was. I am trying to figure out if it is the frequent sitting (i'm in school and doing homework most of the day), the type of chair, the low-ish seat height on my sofa or something else (maybe a med)? I am so bummed out about this.

I mean I expected that my back pain would improve after I lost weight, but never expected it to be completely gone so soon after surgery. Someone asked if it was mental that my pain was gone after surgery, but I don't think so because that was not something I was expecting, it was just gone.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions, comments, experiences are appreciated.

Hi there! So as a person with chronic back pain I'm going to say that the reoccurrence is probably from the chair/sofa you are sitting in. It could also be the height of the desk you are using compared to the height of your seat. I know this sounds funny but when I adjusted my chair to be a bit lower(it takes some getting used to) I found I wasn't leaning forward, or semi-hunched over my keyboard. I didn't even realize I was doing it(that is how subtle of a hunch it was), but I was straining my lower back. Since I've made that change I haven't had any flare ups.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Before surgery, I have had an issue with low back pain for several years...no structural problems. I first put it down to my weight, then my poor posture, then my mattress (got a new one). I would get massages and had a few chiro adjustments and they would give a little temporary relief. I tried rolling on that noodle thing and it would help if my back "popped."

HERE IS THE WEIRD PART. After I had my gastric sleeve on March 16th and I went home, I had NO back pain. NONE! I was over-the-moon. I could not believe it. I was walking around like I was 25. I felt wonderful. I realized how happy having that pain gone made me.

Fast forward two weeks and the back pain has gradually come back. Now it is back where it was. I am trying to figure out if it is the frequent sitting (i'm in school and doing homework most of the day), the type of chair, the low-ish seat height on my sofa or something else (maybe a med)? I am so bummed out about this.

I mean I expected that my back pain would improve after I lost weight, but never expected it to be completely gone so soon after surgery. Someone asked if it was mental that my pain was gone after surgery, but I don't think so because that was not something I was expecting, it was just gone.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions, comments, experiences are appreciated.

I was given a steroid shot while asleep in surgery and experienced something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I will try the seat adjustment, christinamo7. It's probably a multitude of things that are contributing. It's an interesting thought about the steroid shot during surgery, I'll have to ask my surgeon because if so, I want another one of those! Lol

I herniated T-12 disc 13 months ago.

The MRI's and x-rays showed arthritis, stenosis and even where I'd broken a bone in my spine and it had healed. Funny....I knew when it happened....but never realized I'd done damage like that. Hunting accident...fall.

The pain from that herniated disc is what tipped me over the fence into the bariatric world. I had sleeve surgery 6.5 months ago. Just prior to sleeve surgery, I had another round of steroid injections in my back. This, combined with whatever I was given in the hospital for sleeve surgery found me coming home and feeling great in all aspects.

The back issues have returned, but nowhere near as bad. I'll feel them developing, too. I will begin to get shooting pains and know that the spasms will return if I don't take corrective action....which in my case is two-fold: 1) quit sleeping on the new tempurpedic bedding which I freaking hate but bought because my wife fell in love with it.....horrible mattress choice for me at 478.....and now at 296....horrible choice 2) get on the floor and do my stretches on a daily basis. Learned these in physical therapy and they work to keep things loose and in the right place.

I should add that it's a compounded problem as in I become less active when it flares up. Inactivity is not good. It can allow it to stiffen and ache. Frequent walking is the key for me.

I will be so damn glad to get my abdominal hernia repaired again (4th time doing so) and letting it heal....so I can finally do some direct muscle training on my abs. Core strength is going to be key.

I also had a debilitating back pain prior to surgery.. 4 pregnancies, 9 years as a gymnast, 6 years in cheer, massive weight gain after said pregnancies.. Also, my posture is terrible after the weight gain. My back didn't stop hurting when I got my RNY.. And it seems to be consistent with where it was before. If I stand up completely straight, my right side of my abdomen has a searing pain- so it's difficult to make adjustment.. Hope you figure out the problem, & you're able to fix it! Hopefully weight loss and exercise will aid.

cat.jackson89, that is my hope too.

I have been trying out a different bed in our house for the past 4 nights. Hubbie and I got one of those fancy split frame, memory foam beds where the mattresses bend like a hospital bed. He likes all the fancy gadgets, but I have often wondered if that bed it part of the problem. Since I have been sleeping in the other bed (it also has a new mattress, but not memory foam), my back pain has diminished. It is still achy in the morning, but not painful and I get up with more speed and no stiffness. I think I am going to have to change the mattress on my side of the bed and forego the fancy mechanics on my side.

I am also going to get a new office chair because I think that may be aggravating it later in the day.