Reactive Hypoglycemia?

14 posts in this topic

@@axlr8n

My first blood sugar in the am is usually between 70 and 75 which is excellent. Your morning numbers are great.

It is all about eating a balanced diet. Good carbs and Protein for every meal. If you can stick to that it should not be a problem. It is smart to document when you do have an episode and then look back at what you consumed. That is how I know cream of wheat will do it for me if I don't follow that bowl of Cereal with a Protein Bar or shake. My doctor loves that I have that cereal, it is whole grain and a very good source of Iron. He immediately said don't stop eating just try adding Protein and hour later, so far that has worked great for me. I know in every instance it has happened exactly why and it has to do with the combination of what I ate and the timing of that food.

@@axlr8n

My first blood sugar in the am is usually between 70 and 75 which is excellent. Your morning numbers are great.

It is all about eating a balanced diet. Good carbs and Protein for every meal. If you can stick to that it should not be a problem. It is smart to document when you do have an episode and then look back at what you consumed. That is how I know cream of wheat will do it for me if I don't follow that bowl of cereal with a protein bar or shake. My doctor loves that I have that cereal, it is whole grain and a very good source of Iron. He immediately said don't stop eating just try adding protein and hour later, so far that has worked great for me. I know in every instance it has happened exactly why and it has to do with the combination of what I ate and the timing of that food.

That is so wonderful that you have such great control of your diabetes. Are you a Type 1? I'm just curious because most diabetics (T2's) go into remission. That isn't to say that they still wouldn't have a reactive hypoglycemia happen if they ate just a carb with no protein follow up. I am T2 and still wearing my pump, however my numbers are behaving much better than they were prior to surgery. Actually, aside from the weight I gained from insulin use and not being able to drop it, and the horrible insulin resistance I have is why I had this surgery done. Keeping my fingers crossed that at some point the insulin will not be needed. I'm only 3 weeks out, and I've been diabetic for over 21 years, so it may take the weight loss to lower the insulin resistance. I'll be patient; I have no choice. But, much happier that I'm not pumping in tons of insulin with my numbers staying high anymore.