Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are your go to "snacks"?

@@FMoore2004

Jerky. Quest Protein chips with salsa. Pickles, Strawberries, Sugar snap peas. cheese,

P3 Portable Protein packs.

oscar-mayer-p3-protein-pack.png

I like Quaker rice cakes. 35 calories for the butter flavored ones and 2 will fill you up

I like Quaker rice cakes. 35 calories for the butter flavored ones and 2 will fill you up

That's a pretty awful snack. It's got practically no Protein and is mostly carbs and it gets you started back on the carb train towards crackers and other bad stuff you should not be eating and should be avoided.

I eat cheese sticks, slices of deli meat with pickle slices, carbmaster yogurt (available at Kroger), cottage cheese, Pork rinds, or small amounts of mixed nuts like walnuts and almonds with a couple of low cal cheese wedges (think laughing cow).

I second the P3, I love that as a snack. Also agree with FrankiesGirl, rice cakes are not too good. Stay away from carbs, they're just flat out bad.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by tgun25

Well whatever works for you. Me, I was a low carb dieter for 45 years. I got fat eating cheese, cold cuts, and nuts (without counting calories like most low carb eaters).

Most of my meals are heavy Protein and that's 90% of my calories. The topic of this thread is "snacks" not meals.

I also don't think all carbs are inherently bad. Some have a lot of calories and I avoid those. For me, the biggest issue is when in the course of the day I eat carbs.

If I eat them early, I'll be hungry all day long. If I eat under a 100 calories of rice cakes late in the day (2 hours before my Protein laden dinner), it works quite well FOR ME...

That's a pretty awful snack. It's got practically no Protein and is mostly carbs and it gets you started back on the carb train towards crackers and other bad stuff you should not be eating and should be avoided.

I eat cheese sticks, slices of deli meat with pickle slices, carbmaster yogurt (available at Kroger), cottage cheese, Pork rinds, or small amounts of mixed nuts like walnuts and almonds with a couple of low cal cheese wedges (think laughing cow).

Pork rinds are ok? I would think that would be bad?

"In the end we only regret the chances that we didn't take."

Well whatever works for you. Me, I was a low carb dieter for 45 years. I got fat eating cheese, cold cuts, and nuts (without counting calories like most low carb eaters).

Most of my meals are heavy Protein and that's 90% of my calories. The topic of this thread is "snacks" not meals.

I also don't think all carbs are inherently bad. Some have a lot of calories and I avoid those. For me, the biggest issue is when in the course of the day I eat carbs.

If I eat them early, I'll be hungry all day long. If I eat under a 100 calories of rice cakes late in the day (2 hours before my protein laden dinner), it works quite well FOR ME...[/quote

Thank you!

"In the end we only regret the chances that we didn't take."

I really don't have Snacks any more.

Three meals and I'm done.

coffee and Water are the Snacks.< /p>

I discussed Snacks with my doctor the other day. I'm not a huge snacker- sometimes I will work all day on one of those single sized hummus with carrot chips or green peppers. A few olives. An apple (love apples for a snack when paired with a mini brie bite from trader joes- like a mini meal! ) When I mentioned nuts he shook his head no no no. He explained that nuts can add up way too quickly as a meal- he said he even once did his sugar before and after a snack of nuts and it really was like a big meal (HIS WORDS ) and I was thinking when I can eat again, scaling way back on nuts. They just make them too darn good!! Wasabi smoked almond? Yes please!! Toasted coconut almond don't mind if I do have one or 3! Dub wins the PRIZE on giving up nuts though... I suggest you search the site and make sure you don't have a gulp of shake going down because it will come up in laughter.... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Pork rinds are ok? I would think that would be bad?

Check the ingredients, but many types of pork rinds are pretty much just the rind that was fried in its own fat with a bit of salt/spices. They have reasonable fat, zero carbs, high Protein and serious crunch - I eat mostly paleo, so this fits in that category for me. I'd not eat them every day, but when I'm craving salty and crunchy, (that time of the month mostly) they work well.

Lately I've been loving Siggi's yogurt for an afternoon snack or as a dessert. http://siggisdairy.com The vanilla flavor is lower in carbs and also my favorite in regards to taste. If I've had a small lunch I'll have a more substantial afternoon snack, such as a smoothie made with a Greek or Bulgarian yogurt that is high in Protein (over 20 grams a cup) with some frozen fruit that is relatively low in carbs, such as raspberries.

I also enjoy:

- Crispbread (IKEA's multigrain crispbread only has 45 calories, 1 gram of fat, and 7 grams of carbs). By itself it's not very appealing but it's wonderful as a base for all sorts of toppings. I'll put half a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese on it, some mozzarella, Trader Joe's tahini, hummus, cucumbers with a tiny bit of cream cheese and some salt and pepper, or a scrambled egg. It's very versatile.

- coffee either with Fairlife milk and some SF Torani Syrup or with a chocolate Protein Drink

- Dark chocolate caramel wedges from Trader Joe's. (They're great for when I need just a bite of something sweet. One piece has 30 calories and 3.5 carbs)

- Kefir (always the plain kind that is lower in sugar)

- Sour patch Kids popsicle (more of an after workout snack)

- Clementine

- A spoonful of Pic's Peanut Butter, or have it with apple wedges. It's more expensive than other brands, but it's also more delicious to me, and it's just got 1 carb per serving)

- Marinated mozzarella balls from Trader Joe's

- Chia pudding