Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Snacking" on pre op diet

Before I start I should say: I normally don't snack around hardly at all. I usually just eat 2 times a day (sometimes only 1 but I've been better about that lately) but they are large portions and up until the past few months, they are usually unhealthy things.

Ok so, I'm starting a day earlier than needed on my full liquid stage but I'm already irritated. I'm trying to keep myself busy to distract myself but I just seem hungry CONSTANTLY tonight. I know they tell you to have planned meals but how are you supposed to do that on the liquid part of your diet? I had a Protein shake when I woke up, Jello and another shake for lunch and then I was fine until dinner. I had some Cambell's Tomato Soup (the kind already in a bowl) and then everything has been kind of down hill from there like I CANNOT get full. I had the full bowl of Tomato Soup which according to the label is actually 2 servings, and then a bit later I had a sugar free pudding and just now I had another Jello and I have the feeling like it's not over yet... Is this because I am so used to only eating 1-2 times a day or what in the world is going on?! I feel like a ravenous animal! It really feels like I've only had Snacks and no actual meals. Isn't there some kind of limit on how much I should eat even if it is sugar free jello and pudding? I know in a few days it will get easier (at least on the last bariatric diet I was on did), but it just seems like something is "off" that I am ever like this at the beginning of a diet and I do NOT want to sabotage my surgery. I really want to do everything right.

How much are you drinking? A lot of times what we think of as hunger is actually thirst and/or head hunger.

In your case, for your pre-op diet, don't be afraid to eat or drink as much as you are allowed. Restricting isn't going to help you be prepared for surgery. Try drinking more Water, Decaf teas, sugar-free Popsicles, etc.

I didn't have a liquid pre-op diet (mine was more like Atkin's level one) so Tomato Soup would have been a no-no for me.

What does your surgeon allow? If you are hungry, try drinking another Protein shake.

If you normally eat a lot of carbs and sugar, it will take a few days to get them out of your system. Once they are out of your system, you probably won't have nearly as many cravings.

Also, you probably know this, but only eating once or twice a day is a great way to wreck your metabolism.

How much are you drinking? A lot of times what we think of as hunger is actually thirst and/or head hunger.

In your case, for your pre-op diet, don't be afraid to eat or drink as much as you are allowed. Restricting isn't going to help you be prepared for surgery. Try drinking more Water, Decaf teas, sugar-free Popsicles, etc.

I didn't have a liquid pre-op diet (mine was more like Atkin's level one) so Tomato Soup would have been a no-no for me.

What does your surgeon allow? If you are hungry, try drinking another Protein shake.

If you normally eat a lot of carbs and sugar, it will take a few days to get them out of your system. Once they are out of your system, you probably won't have nearly as many cravings.

Also, you probably know this, but only eating once or twice a day is a great way to wreck your metabolism.

Yeah, I know my eating habits have completely screwed me lol. I guess that's why I'm in the situation I'm in now. I haven't had as much Water today as I usually do. I guess I haven't felt as thirsty as I usually do probably due to the Jello and such moist food. I am drinking water now though so maybe it will pass. My surgeon gave me a book that has the diet I'm supposed to follow. No alcoholic or carbonated drinks, no caffeine or sugary drinks, lots of water and 1-2 Protein Drinks a day. It doesn't say any limit on calories or anything like that but I was assuming that I shouldn't be eating like a fiend either before a surgery that is supposed to help me lose weight lol. Also, I was under the impression that snacking is not a good thing?

Also, I just read that I'm supposed to have a goal of under 40g carbs so I probably messed up today by having the entire bowl of Tomato Soup. UGH! There is too much to keep track of :(

Edited by Lizardlady

The first 3-4 days were the hardest for me. I was also on the liquid diet for two weeks pre-op and was allowed sf Protein drinks, sugar free Jello and sf pudding, and sf Greek yoghurt. My surgeon allowed for Campbell's healthy request cream Soup or pureeing the split pea soup. The soup and yoghurt helped me a lot. It is a big adjustment but you can get through it!!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

The first 3-4 days were the hardest for me. I was also on the liquid diet for two weeks pre-op and was allowed sf Protein drinks, sugar free Jello and sf pudding, and sf Greek yoghurt. My surgeon allowed for Campbell's healthy request cream Soup or pureeing the split pea soup. The soup and yoghurt helped me a lot. It is a big adjustment but you can get through it!!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I imagine it's going to be the same for me. The last time I was on a diet like this the first few days were the worst and I felt like I was starving but after that I kicked the carb craving because it was pretty easy from there. I am allowed greek yogurt and all the same stuff you are as well. My book says I'm allowed 97-98% fat free, low sodium: Healthy Valley, Amy's, Campbell's Healthy request, and Progresso but the problem is that most of those Soups have starch in them (which on day 10 I was supposed to eliminate starch) OR they are FULL of carbs (like the Campbell's Healthy Request Tomato Soup I had last night) and I'm supposed to stay under 40g of carbs per day. So what exactly does that leave me with? I guess greek yogurt, Jello, pudding, popsicles and Protein Drinks? Which is fine but they really should say something about those Soups cuz I went and bought a bunch assuming I could have them and then I find out really, most are not doable at all or just 1 bowl will fill your carb intake for the entire day lol. I'll be ok but it's a lot to try and keep track of and I'm already irritated when I feel like I'm so hungry I could eat a horse.

All liquids is challenging. All I can say is that if you do feel compelled to stray, don't go to Burger King. Instead, pick up some of the Atkins frozen dinners that are just meat and veggies They are low in carbs and pretty low in calories, and have strong Protein and veggies for Vitamins. They will help tame hunger and you will still lose weight. For example:

Beef & Broccoli: https://www.atkins.com/products/frozen-meals/lunch-dinner/beef-merlot

Turkey and Cauliflower: https://www.atkins.com/products/frozen-meals/lunch-dinner/roasted-turkey-with-garlic-mashed-cauliflower

Crustless chicken Pot Pie: https://www.atkins.com/products/frozen-meals/lunch-dinner/crustless-chicken-pot-pie

... and then everything has been kind of down hill from there like I CANNOT get full...

I learned post op that feeling FULL is no longer the goal and probably the reason I got so fat. I always loved and desired the feeling of full. Now, I absolutely hate it. It's uncomfortable, the feeling is located in a different area of my body that feels abnormal and it truly makes me want to gag.

The liquid part is hard and you really need to convince yourself that you are getting adequate calories even though you are not feeling that way right now. Logging is helpful. Even if you can conquer the head part (it's just temporary!!), your body is going to scream for more.

(My NP allowed raw veggies and up to 4oz of lean Protein as Snacks when I asked her about this. I was a martial arts instructor so I was VERY physically active and liquids only pre-op were affecting my ability to do my job.)

It sucks. Brush your teeth, gargle with Listerine because nothing tastes good after that, do something with your hands so you can't eat like knitting or fresh nail polish, chew gum, drink Water until you feel like you are drowning, and deal with it. Take it an hour at a time. You can do it. Seriously.

My doc and his staff are soooo strict with the preop diet. Four(4) Protein shakes a day, SF Jello, broth and SF liquids.

HOWEVER- they understood the need to "crunch" and such and allowed for unlimited NON-STARCHY veggies.

It was a big deal- per his PA- to allow this, but she went through the procedure and convinced him that it was really non-damaging and actually beneficial to patient compliance.

Truthfully, I can't see where 1-2 Protein Shakes are doing you any good! That's NOT enough Protein OR calories in your daily diet. And tomatoe Soup is 12g (or more) of sugar per serving. You literally are not getting enough calories to sustain you.

In my opinion, the diet is off kilter.

As an aside- if you were to look at your shakes as your meals, and the others as fillers, you may have more luck. And I agree with the others- drink, drink, drink your SF liquids! They go a long way to keeping the hunger at bay.

Good news- on the other side of the surgery, you will no longer have hunger! Poof! It's gone!

Really take it an hour at a time. That is what I did. I also went to bed early every day and I watched Fat Doctor all day.

What you said about your prior eating habits, is exactly how I used to eat. 1 or 2 huge meals. Now i like my 4-5 small meals a day.

You can do it. Chug Water all day till you feel like you are drowning.

My NUT said to get used to eating 5-6 very small meals. I find timing my meals helpful or I'll just eat continuously whether I'm truly hungry. I am in my 6 month supervised diet period and bring healthy foods go work. I eat 4 times during work. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack. I am trying to avoid sugars - even fruit because it seems to make me ravenous). Tomato Soup may have had too much sugar for you. Try foods with less than 5gms of sugar.

My nutritionist has provided a guideline of around 800 calories and 60-80grams of Protein. My group doesn't require it be an all liquid diet, but they said the easiest way to get enough Protein and stay under the calorie limit is using Protein shakes for at least a couple meals a day. However, lean chicken and fish with nonstarchy veggies are fine (think broccoli and other greens). From what you listed, you most likely are not getting enough protein - Tomato Soup has very little protein in it but a LOT of carbs. And carbs are going to make you want more carbs.

It is a lot to keep track of so I wouldn't try to do it in your head as the day goes on. Instead plan it out the day before - write it down (consider using a tracker like myfitnesspal) and then stick to it.

My surgery is Friday and I thought for sure I would call them to postpone because I just wasn't going to make it. The pre-op is hard the first 2-3 days for me. It was like detoxing all the carbs & sugar. After that it got easier but I cheated one day and it all came back and I had to start over and I could have kicked myself. I am back on track and it's not so bad now. I drink my 1st drink an hour after waking up, I clean the house, take kids to school do some errands, drink Water in between or have some broth if hungry still. I Have my second drink 3 hours from 1st, and pretty much same routine throughout the day. My doctor is more strict than most posts I have read. I am allowed 60grams of Protein so that's 4 Atkins advantage drinks & NUT told me to track on fitness pal keep everything I drink and eat in there no more than 700-800 cal. All the Water with crystal light or plain I can drink, broth, diet V8, Gatorade or similar I can drink and that's all. I wish I can eat SF Jello or SF pudding, veggies or a lean Protein but it's not on my menu. So I sleep early and take naps when I can to not think about it. Protein Drinks r too sweet for me so I sip on broth throughout the day to get that salty taste. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'd advise you to ignore those who'd like to *improve* your pre-op diet because they think it's not sufficient sustenance for a person.

Here's the actual deal re the pre-op diet:

The only purpose of the pre-op diet is to have a pre-op WLS patient take in fewer calories than they need to sustain their weight so they will consume the glycogen stored in the liver and shrink the liver's size. The reason your surgeon wants you to shrink your liver is so the odds of complications during surgery are lessened -- since a smaller liver is less likely to be injured (nicked or torn) when your surgeon is manipulating around it.

I have read of instances where the surgeon went in, looked at the liver, then went back out without performing the surgery because the liver was still too large / swollen with glycogen.

Yes, it's not an easy diet. But it is what it is. Also, the first three days are the toughest times for most folks. Thereafter, if you really do cold-turkey sugar-laden foods (including that Tomato soup) you'll have an easier time of it. But even if you don't

One thing that helped me during the pre-op diet is that, in addition to the Protein shakes, I drank chicken bouillon with spicy Thai seasoning, and that savory liquid balanced out the sweeter shakes.

Hang in there.