Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In agony with left shoulder! Help!

Hey, it's improved slightly during the day but it's agony at night. I've been signed off work and put on a nerve medication.

Surgeon things it's the Vagras nerve ( think that's how it's spelt) it's a nerve which runs from your diaphragm up to shoulder... It's a rare side effect in band patients but it's where they make a tunnel and stitch it up by your diaphragm until that properly heals it sends a pain to the nerve but your brain tricks you and it stimulates a pain in your shoulder!

He said it could be a few months max!

The meds I'm on are spacing me out big time!

But hey the weights falling off so I guess it's a small price to pay!

Thanks for asking... Hope you're well?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Glad you finally got into your doctor for some answers. Hopefully it keep improving now with proper care.

I had the shoulder pain for months after i had my band years ago... i went to a chiropractors for an adjustment and it was relieved immediately afterwards never to return.

I would literally get it every time i ate a decent sized meal or if it was cold out.

Edited by AussieGirl81

Aussie girl... I still have approaching 5 weeks now!

Ive got my first fill on Wednesday!

Do you mean your band adjustment sorted it?

No... an actual back adjustment by a chiropractor..

I think when they did the surgery they must move you in strange ways or something...

I swear i was in agony for ages... and it was suggested to me that it might be a nerve thing... i was skeptical (im always the skeptic when it comes to alternative therapies)

But literally after i went to the chiropractor.. it never came back

Mine would flare up mainly if I drank anything during my liquid phase. (Banded 4-15-2016) I know the air is trapped because of how they performed the surgery but I would burp even if I didn't have to and it eased the pain for me. I guess by creating room for the air. I hope it has disappeared by now

Chris

That's Aussie girl and chris.

I've still got it after my band fill... I can only sleep sitting up... So I think I'm gonna try the back adjustment now you've said it!

Got nothing to lose!

I know the agony you speak of and its just not shifting... No medication is sorting it.

Did you just go the once?!

Thank you for replying everyone! X

Yes... i only went once...

It might work for you.. or it might not... i can't make you any promises. . But that fixed me right up.

I think it might have been something hitting a nerve, cause every time i ate something i would get the shoulder pain.

.. i tried everything. .. heat pads.. TENS machine... anti inflammatory meds... eating less.. eating more... drinking warm liquids... you name it

Do you get hiccups frequently?

Edited by AussieGirl81

Chris thanks!

Aussie girl... You have just written the last month of my life since being banded!

I have text an osteopath I know...

Here's hoping he replies so I can get booked in next week!

I don't actually not sure I've had them once! But then I've never normally suffered with them

X

I really hope that it helps... it is the worst pain to suffer for an extended amount of time

Keep me updated on how you go after you see him...

I will do. Typical is bank holiday so won't hear til Tuesday I bet!

But can only hope!

I'm really grateful for your suggestion.. If it works you will be my hero trust me. Living on 3 hours sleep a night is becoming pretty soul destroying.

X