Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Learning from my mistakes

I wrote a post last week (or maybe the week before) about getting to the point where I normally start to fail. Losing the same 15-20 pounds, feeling good, dropping a size, and then BAM, I'm back to my old habits. It's really hard to shake the feeling of "time to fail" now that I'm below 290 (very difficult for me to stay there in the past). So last Thursday I weighed myself and I was 287, meaning I didn't lose any weight in 2 weeks. I freaked out and kind of went on a bender over the weekend. Well, as much of a bender as I could with my new limitations.

I stuffed myself with mostly carbs, drinking Water to push them through faster. Healthy, no? Had some Dairy Queen ice cream. Indulged in a mini Cookies and milk binge (those slide through nicely). My brain was telling me it's over, time to gain the weight back, this is as light as I'll ever be able to force myself to be... And it hurt, physically, to push myself like that but I did it anyway. Brains are very, very complicated and sometimes extremely stupid. It's like I was on autopilot. A zombie. Brain told me that because I'm having a bad month I deserved to eat what I wanted to get by. I couldn't make it shut up.

But then I woke up today and told myself the lap band is still there. It's still restricting my intake. I can do this. I need to drink more Water which helps overcome the carb cravings. I need to listen to my body. STOP BEFORE IT HURTS. Protein and veggies first. I'm getting another fill in a couple weeks and that will help even more. I'm going to exercise tonight.

Wow, what a horrible mental and emotional hurdle to pass. But I can do this. This time it IS different. Listen up, Brain, it is NOT TIME TO FAIL. It is time to overcome and move on. These size 22's will get looser and I'll be in size 20 in a couple months! It's go time!

I have the same history. I have the sleeve. I have lost 30 pounds and stopped for two weeks (actually gain 3 pounds loose 3 pounds for two weeks). but I just sat and entered my food from all weekend today- into my thing I log it on/ and I am *not* eating enough to gain any FAT. so it has to be different, it will pass.

I did try on a pair of jeans this weekend that 6 months ago I could not pull up - two weeks ago were probably 2 inches from buttoning and they fit perfectly now. So, things are changing and that will have to be enough of a victory for this week.

keep going, one day at a time.

Edited by Christinamo7

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! YOU WILL SUCCEED!!!

Don't let stinkin' thinkin' get in the way of your success!! Remember -- nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.

As I'm typing this, I'm telling myself the same thing because I've been stuck in the same 7 lb. range for 6 months. Every day, every week I keep plugging along and working to getting back to doing what I know I am supposed to be doing -- Protein, Protein, protein, Water, Water, water, walk, walk, walk - to keep it simple. And.....log log log that food in somewhere. Accountability by tracking my food and exercise helps keep me honest with myself. I don't have to prove anything to anyone. I did this for me. I am doing this for me and my health.

WE CAN DO THIS!!!

I get those mind hungers too. Especially with carbs because I have always been a carboholic. Now that I am able to eat more foods and drink my wine I really have to watch it and log everything. I have been at a stall for several weeks now and I would really like to get to goal so I have to stay focused on the fitness part I guess because I am only taking in 1500-1800 calories per day.

I have my metabolic rate checked at surgeons office, and I was told not to exceed 1100 calories a day, ad I am same height as betty boop, just a suggestion, why are you consuming so many calories, i am 8 1/2 months out, seems like alot to me, not judging just telling you how my program is.

Seems like we all have our bumps in the road. But keep driving!! The magic bus is moving if you just stop hindering it.

This seems to be where our head tries to remind us that this is what we have always done....gone so far and sabotage ourselves. Hopefully your new tool (band or sleeve ) helps you to see you can keep going.

This time can be different if you get right back on your program and do the Protein, Water and perhaps a walk.

This can be the "oops I made a quick error and now I'm back " moment. That can literally be the difference between all the yo- yo, stop and start, and I'll begin again later pattern that got me personally over 250 lbs.

think of it in the past and keep going. String together good days. And good weeks... Are there off moments? Yes I believe there are. No one can be perfect ( or rather mostly)

But this surgery can work in the LONG RUN. Which is why you tried a new way, yeah? The old ways don't work!

I'm encouraging you to readjust yourself and keep going.

Please keep posting. There is a caring community here to help. Best to you.

I dont know if this will help. I just got these book titles off another thread 5 mi utes ago, so I have not read any of them, but they were recommended by members of this site. "Intuitive Eating"byEllen Trimbole; "The Emotional First Aid Kit" by Cynthia Alexander. I was thinking of getting them for myself.

Hi sbg224:

The Nutritionist at my surgeons office told me the reason I was at a stall was because I was not getting enough calories and said I need to increase up to 1500. I would feel better at 1200 so I may have to take your advice and go back down because I am still at a stall with her advice. Thank you

I have my metabolic rate checked at surgeons office, and I was told not to exceed 1100 calories a day, ad I am same height as betty boop, just a suggestion, why are you consuming so many calories, i am 8 1/2 months out, seems like alot to me, not judging just telling you how my program is.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I'm doing much better now :) kept my eating on track yesterday and going strong today. When I stick with Protein and drink enough Water then my cravings go away. I just need to remember that when I have a moment of weakness and want simple carbs. Self-destructive benders are not the best way to cope with stress or set-backs.

I didn't know surgeons could check our metabolic rates! I may have to ask for that at my next appointment! I'd be curious to see how much I actually need to eat in a day.

One of the biggest lessons of this process for me was to learn that stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the process. None of us lose at a constant or steady rate, and periodic stalls are to be expected. Once I got my head around this concept, I had a lot of peace.

Embrace the Stall!

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

I read the emotional first aid kit and thought it was great. Intuitive eating I tried years ago, and I asked the NUT when does this start and she said it could be tomorrow, 2 years or never, so dropped that concept. You should check with your nut, but at Cedars sinai in LA where I had the surgery, there is a scale, sort of and it measures so many things, the weight of each arm and leg, metabolic rate etc, hope your doc has one, and that is where it says 1100 calories is my limit or I will gain weight. My next appointment 5/12 I will have them do it again and see if it changes. Good luck.