Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Picking Goal??

I am wondering how people picked their goal weight.

I had surgery 6/29/07 & had my first fill yesterday. I have not picked a goal weight and was wondering what factors people used.

Thanks

Cathy in Maryland

My doctor gave me a goal weight that was actually higher than what I think it should be. Actually, their fancy scale that takes into account your height, weight, and body mass did it for them.

I set myself a goal weight but honestly I think if I were even 20lbs above that weight I would be very happy. I am taking the wait and see approach my dream weight is 160 so that is what I am going to shoot for!

Actually, mine is a long ways away... but in the meantime i have small goals in between... Right about now id be thrilled about hitting one-lander :faint:

Well, I'm 5' 6", and started at 280. 165 is the lowest weight I actually remember (jr. high, dad had me on slim fast, and on the scale every day)... My goal is 140, which would be half my highest weight and right in the middle of "normal" BMI. If I could get to 160 I think I'd be a happy camper though, so I've decided that while 140 is my goal as far as numbers go (calculating half way there and such), I will evaluate things at 160.

I am 5'5 and I would be very happy at 160. That was my weight up until getting married and I looked and felt great. I actually don't like the 'bony' look, and I don't want to be too skinny, I like curves, but that's just me.

I pretty much picked a weight that was in my healthy range that I remember being and maintaining - 79kg. Its the very highest point of my healthy weight range. I got there and maintained it for about 6 months but have started losing again now, I'm down to 76 and its given me a chance to recommit and decide to diet the rest of it off. I just have a build that I should be more at the low end of my healthy weight range, of course I'm not overly fat anymore, but I still am flabby, carry too much weight on my lower half and wouldnt dream of wearing a bikini. I"m shooting for about 65kg, which I've never weighed in my adult life but now that my body is relatively normal, I can kind of just tell that I need to lose about another 10kg.

Whether or not I do I'm not sure, I'm sure trying, but I may just plateau out again for a long time, its very hard when you're not overweight anymore to keep losing reasonably.

I certainly didnt have surgery to still be overweight, I've never even considered setting a goal that's officially still overweight.

It depends a lot on your build, some people do look good heavier because they're curvier and have more muscle on them than I do. I do have the type of body that is either bony or its overfat - I dont get more curves as I get heavier, I get flab. Tall and skinny is how I'm meant to be, 5ft 10 and in the 140's will be just right.

My doctor asked me what I wanted to get to and I said 145. He shook his head and said 160 was more realistic. I am 5'3" and I think that is too much. I'm gonna shoot for 150. If I can get to that, I'll re-think and see if I can get into the 40's...

I actually went by what I know (from previous dieting) was my cut-off weight before I started looking too gaunt. I could probably get away with getting down to 180 before I got that weird sunken look in my face, but I'll wait until I get to 190 before I make any decisions to lose more.

Plus, I have about 150 lbs of lean body mass...190 would keep me at a healthy body fat %.

My goal is in the middle of what is considered healthy for my height. I am only 5'0''. I could weigh as little as 95 (Not gonna happen) or as much as 125. I'm a little older now so I'm aiming for 120. I do not want to be sticks and bones - and my husband doesn't want me to be either. Some things should just still be soft :0)

My goal changes all the time, and I'm a self-proclaimed numbers nut. I have played with numbers since I can remember, even back to 5 years old.

My high weight used to be 270, so I picked 135. Perfect number. But now, my high weight is 286, and I'd like to be 143 due to that, being half of it, but I don't like 143. Maybe 140 or 147. I've never seen/remembered anything below 165, so I'll also admit I have no idea what under-165 holds. I think it'll be a case of wait and see when I get there :-) I'd still love to see 135! Or be able to wear a single-digit size. Even a 9 would THRILL me!

My doctor told me 110... I'm 5'2'', and he did the 5 foot = 100 pounds, 5 pounds for every inch there after....

I told him he was insane, and 130 would suit me just fine. I want to see 130 then maybe lose another 5-10...we'll see. When I was 10 years old I weighed 110 pounds, I was a chubby girl, but weighing what I did at 10 seems unthinkable.

OHJuli - I agree! I cannot imagine only weighing 100 pounds. My husband would kill me!! He does not want a bony skinny wife; he wants there to still be some curves and softness and I can say at 100 pounds - there wouldn't be any!! In my head I'm liking the idea of 120 even if it is almost overweight for my height. I think my true test is just how I feel and how I look; if I'm happy at 140 then so be it!!