Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second guessing choice for sleeve

Had the band removed last week, revised to sleeve. I'm on my way to the dog park with the cutie in my profile picture. I feel incredible. Going to buy plants on the way home. Yes, I feel that good. I think so much is mental because that broken plastic band is goners. I am, however, incredibly glad for the people who have them and they work. I mean it. Good for you and good for your band- whatever gets us there! :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I concur with @@JamieLogical and @CowgirlJane.

I have no regrets with going with the sleeve. It made the most sense to me and for me, and I didn't want my plumbing to have to be rerouted. I had GERD before surgery, not extreme, still have GERD after surgery, no change really. Still have very noticeable restriction.

To add to my comments above, I, TOO, had comorbidities pre-surgery - diabeties, fatty liver, high blood pressure were the main reason for the surgery - all have resolved since surgery.

My PCP recommended RNY, but after a year of consideration, research, prayer, talking to many people who have had either sleeve or RNY, I chose sleeve. I would still choose the sleeve. Very thankful I now have this tool to help me manage my weight. I'm still about 40 lbs. from my goal, but still working my program. Many lifestyle changes were made along the way including increased physical activity. Even though I'm not at goal yet, I'm loving my new body!! Even though the scale has been stuck within the same 7 lbs. for months now, inches continue to come off.

Whichever surgery you decide on, stay committed to your program and ENJOY YOUR JOURNEY!!

This BP article written by Alex may be helpful to you as you strive for success following your surgery.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/363534-setting-yourself-up-for-weight-loss-surgery-success/

This BP article written by Alex may be helpful to you as you strive for success following your surgery.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/363534-setting-yourself-up-for-weight-loss-surgery-success/

I live in Ontario and our provincial plan doesn't cover VSG unless we have medical conditions that make bypass more difficult such as scarring. Since I've never had any other surgeries, it will be bypass for me. I think I'd prefer VSG for all the reasons people have mentioned, but I'm okay with RNY as well. The upside is that other than the Optifast and Vitamins post-op, there is no cost to me. I also don't have my surgery date yet. It can take 6 - 2 months from the original orientation - which I had last Monday. The other bonus is that I have met a great support group - all but one have had the RNY so I have a good idea of what to expect.

I was hoping to have a sleeve. I had been on omeprazole but had no symptoms and in fact went off for a month with no symptoms. My surgeon had me do an endoscopy and barium swallow test which showed no damage and then a manometry and Bravo Ph capsule test which showed Barrett's esophagus. My surgeon now will only do RNY for me. If you have not had all four of these tests you might consider having them to make sure you don't have Barrett's before you go with the sleeve since it has the risk of making acid reflux worse. If you have no damage then the sleeve may be a better option for you. It's a very personal choice since the pros and cons of each type of surgery are weighted differently by each of us.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I don't know if you're referring to me or not but by all measures I AM morbidly obese - hence the reason I'm having surgery AGAIN. My BMI is right at 41. I need to lose 100 lbs to be at my desired weight but I said I would be thrilled with 50-75 - more because I haven't seen that weight in 20+ years and I can't imagine what it's like. If I have the sleeve and with work that's all that comes off I'm good with that. But having comorbidities and being unable to lose on my own, surgery IS a last resort I'm not rushing into without some thought.

I wasn't asking you @@mom2wils about your starting weight - I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm referring to people who have a BMI of around 30 (without comorbidities) and are getting WLS. One of them weighs 167lbs (highest weight) and I would be happy if that turned out to be my end / goal weight.

I originally had the sleeve and regained about 35 pounds and had a lot of acid reflux, before and after the sleeve. I just had revision to mini bypass on March 31. If I had the chance to do it over again I would definitely choose the bypass the first time and not mess with the sleeve. The sleeve works great for some people but for me it just didn't work or last like I had hoped it would. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

@@mom2wils,

It’s a tough decision that only you can make. As you know, there’s no single right answer for everyone. Weigh the pros and cons of the sleeve and bypass, like you’re doing. You mentioned that you know the band failure was partially your fault; you might want to think about why you didn’t always follow the rules, and whether the sleeve or the bypass will be more likely to help you follow them.

Also ask your surgeon. It’s in your surgeon’s interest for you to succeed, so he or she should be willing to help you decide on the best option for you.

If you’re still not 100% sure, ask several surgeons. You don’t need to go behind your own surgeon’s back. You can even ask your surgeon for recommendations on whom to ask. Depending on the different surgeons’ policies, you might need to pay for the consults, but you’re making an important decision and the money is worth it if it helps you come to the right answer.

Good luck!