Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 5 post-0p. Feel cloudy, sleepy, anxious and sometimes nauseous

My bypass was done on the 20th of April, so Im about 5 days post-op. First two days were hell with diarrhea and nausea caused by the barium swallow and i presume the anesthetic.

I stopped taking pain meds on day 3 as i wasn't in a lot of pain and felt they were just making me feel even more out of it and nauseous. Im just using paracetamol every 4-6 hours now.

Came home 2 days ago and mostly I feel completely "out of it", very cloudy and sometimes unable to focus or concentrate. I also feel very tired all the time but the sleep i am getting isn't good quality and I am finding it hard to take naps.

After a shake or Soup (half cup) i feel ok for a while then a half hour later feel sick and rush to the toilet again. At times i even feel anxious - like there is nothing i can do to stop this, nothing i can do to feel better.

There is very little pain, rather a sensation of heaviness and tightness across my whole abdomen.

I am trying not to regret the decision to do this to my body, but i have a rising sense of panic that i will never feel batter again.

Is this the anesthetic, the procedure... what?

Has anyone else felt this way?

What you are feeling is pretty normal this early. I recall day 5 being my worst day, so take heart that it will get easier from here on out! 1/2 cup actually might be too much (depending on how long it is taking you to drink it). For the nausea, you may have to get an anti-nausea med from the dr. I had to take it for quite some time. I had regrets for quite a while, but I can honestly tell you at 10 1/2 months and 110 pounds down, I do not regret it for one moment! Hang in there. Keep sipping Water. Not dehydrating is the most important part this early. And don't hesitate to call the dr if you need to. HUGS!

No worries. You will be through the hard part before you know it. I remember feeling the same. I had my surgery April 13 and I feel great. I remember feeling how you did. Give it a few more days and then every day after that you should feel so much better!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

What you are feeling is pretty normal this early. I recall day 5 being my worst day, so take heart that it will get easier from here on out! 1/2 cup actually might be too much (depending on how long it is taking you to drink it). For the nausea, you may have to get an anti-nausea med from the dr. I had to take it for quite some time. I had regrets for quite a while, but I can honestly tell you at 10 1/2 months and 110 pounds down, I do not regret it for one moment! Hang in there. Keep sipping Water. Not dehydrating is the most important part this early. And don't hesitate to call the dr if you need to. HUGS!

Thanks so much for your response. I rang doc re the anti-nausea med and he said rather not at this stage, and that nausea is expected and to try to work through it UHHH. How long were you on yours for post op? what did your doc prescribe?

No worries. You will be through the hard part before you know it. I remember feeling the same. I had my surgery April 13 and I feel great. I remember feeling how you did. Give it a few more days and then every day after that you should feel so much better!

Thanks Smashley for responding. I am so glad to hear your words... I totally don't feel like myself, almost like life is a movie or something. And the nausea very hard to handle... i would rather be in pain than feel sick HAHA. Congrats on your surgery and glad you feel great now. :-)

Same here. I had mine done on the 20th. Sometimes, I find myself struggling of focus on what I'm reading or seeing on my phone. It literally looks like a blur sometimes. I have had a strange go with this. People will call to check on me, or come by to see me, and I do not even want to speak. Literally don't even want to open my mouth to convey words. I'm not sure what that's about. When I get asked how I feel, trying to explain it makes me tear up.

Maybe I'm going insane!?

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Im day 5 postop too... and man what a struggle. Finding what fluids dnt make me gag. vanilla Protein yuk!! As of now i cant drink more than 4oz at a sitting. N when i do, its a bit painful till i burp a bit here n there... any ideas? To ease this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

My bypass was done on the 20th of April, so Im about 5 days post-op. First two days were hell with diarrhea and nausea caused by the barium swallow and i presume the anesthetic.

I stopped taking pain meds on day 3 as i wasn't in a lot of pain and felt they were just making me feel even more out of it and nauseous. Im just using paracetamol every 4-6 hours now.

Came home 2 days ago and mostly I feel completely "out of it", very cloudy and sometimes unable to focus or concentrate. I also feel very tired all the time but the sleep i am getting isn't good quality and I am finding it hard to take naps.

After a shake or Soup (half cup) i feel ok for a while then a half hour later feel sick and rush to the toilet again. At times i even feel anxious - like there is nothing i can do to stop this, nothing i can do to feel better.

There is very little pain, rather a sensation of heaviness and tightness across my whole abdomen.

I am trying not to regret the decision to do this to my body, but i have a rising sense of panic that i will never feel batter again.

Is this the anesthetic, the procedure... what?

Has anyone else felt this way?

I too had surgery on April 20th. Everyone is different. I am not having any issues. No pain meds. But I do still feel weak. I came back to work today. Walking has helped relieve all my soreness. Gas x strips are my new best friend. Have you called your nutritionist? Maybe they can suggest foods that won't make you sick?

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

Some people have a lot of nausea. My place recommended Benadryl actually for nausea, but it makes a person tired. It should definitely improve. Sometimes ginger helps me. Flat, diet ginger soda or ginger tea. Hope you feel better.

@@YumiMumi - my doctor gave me Zofran (specifically the sublingual formulation so it would process better / easier). I am so sorry your doctor will not help with that. If it continues, I think I might push him on the issue. I took it off and on for 6 months BUT it turned out I had a stricture that we didn't find until 3rd month, so I think my nausea was relatively unusual to last that long. I also did drink ginger tea which did help some.

Same here. I had mine done on the 20th. Sometimes, I find myself struggling of focus on what I'm reading or seeing on my phone. It literally looks like a blur sometimes. I have had a strange go with this. People will call to check on me, or come by to see me, and I do not even want to speak. Literally don't even want to open my mouth to convey words. I'm not sure what that's about. When I get asked how I feel, trying to explain it makes me tear up.

Maybe I'm going insane!?

@@jccanada you are NOT going insane. I was exactly the same - no focus and no care to chat to anyone. I had a big old baby cry (wracking sobs and all) in front of my ex and 3yr old yesterday cos i feel so useless and sick. But the fog is lifting..... Clearer today and (fingers crossed) slowly returning to my old self. I actually held a conversation longer than 1 minute last night with a friend that popped over. So yeh, NOT insane :-)

Edited by YumiMumi

Thanks all for your responses and so glad that we have all found some support here. Yesterday was a slightly better day.... had a mini emotional breakdown when my ex dropped over my son to see me - I felt so nauseous and fatigued I couldn't play with him. But the good news is that I felt mostly normal(ish) for the remainder of the day.

Today most of the fog has lifted, the anxiety gone... (THANK GOD)! Current issues:

* Getting enough Protein in without feeling like poo

* Drinking necessary Water without feeling like poo

* Fatigue - packing the dishwasher is like a run around the block

* Insomnia - constantly tired but cant sleep - FYI posted a good article on "surgical stress response", the bodys hormonal and metabolic response to the trauma of surgery which covers the topic of insomnia.

I hope you all are feeling a little better too! Keep posting!

Im day 5 postop too... and man what a struggle. Finding what fluids dnt make me gag. vanilla Protein yuk!! As of now i cant drink more than 4oz at a sitting. N when i do, its a bit painful till i burp a bit here n there... any ideas? To ease this?

Hey @Levita.... I bought my own tastless whey protien and added to high Protein milk with frozen fresh (low sugar) real fruit such as cherries. there is a ton of protien in one scoop - more than most of the shakes and it tastes WAY better, far less sweet and contains zero nasty artificial sweetener. I can get 40g of protein (1 scoop of protein plus a cup of high protein milk) into one shake and then I SIP on that for hours - it has helped a lot to manage the nausea. So my advice, make your own smoothy and just sip over a few hours. :-)

Hey @Levita.... I bought my own tastless whey protien and added to high Protein milk with frozen fresh (low sugar) real fruit such as cherries. there is a ton of protien in one scoop - more than most of the shakes and it tastes WAY better, far less sweet and contains zero nasty artificial sweetener. I can get 40g of protein (1 scoop of protein plus a cup of high protein milk) into one shake and then I SIP on that for hours - it has helped a lot to manage the nausea. So my advice, make your own smoothy and just sip over a few hours. :-)
Thanks!! I was able to buy me a bariatric Protein powder. nectar Syntrax..cookies n cream flavor...that helps.

Maybe I'm going insane!?

@@jccanada you are NOT going insane. I was exactly the same - no focus and no care to chat to anyone. I had a big old baby cry (wracking sobs and all) in front of my ex and 3yr old yesterday cos i feel so useless and sick. But the fog is lifting..... Clearer today and (fingers crossed) slowly returning to my old self. I actually held a conversation longer than 1 minute last night with a friend that popped over. So yeh, NOT insane :-)
Thank you, that makes me feel better.