Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've recently started researching on WLS, after many years of losing and gaining weight. I want to get the sleeve. This is my highest weight and after my last time of losing weight I gained back all 60 pounds and probably more (I refuse to step on a scale.) Ive seen so many success stories and so many flat stomachs! :) I on the other hand am apple shaped and that means most of my weight is in my midsection. Does that mean I will have to go back under the knife to get skin removed? I really wouldn't want to. Do you guys have an suggestion or is it just the inevitable?

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I think it often depends on your age, amount of weight to lose and exercise but I haven't had WLS yet either. I'm going to play it by ear - if I really need skin removed I'll get plastic surgery at some point. But - the saggy skin is better than fat filled skin that I have now.

Edited by KristenLe

A lot of it depends on your age, genetics, how long you have been overweight, etc.

if it helps here are my numbers. I too am Apple shaped and carry all my weight in my stomach. I started at 271 pounds 5'3". I currently weigh between 145-147. I have extremely thin arms and legs. They have tightened up fine. I still have a lower tummy bulge and my skin is saggy there. I most definitely would benefit from a Tummy Tuck. However, it isn't that noticeable when I am dressed. I can't wear very tight fitted dresses because of the loose skin bulge.

The loose skin is a million times better than being overweight!!

Thank you guys!! I am 22 years old and been overweight all my life. Glitter eyes, congrats!! I know it may be superficial and of course I know I want to be not only more happier but healthy with a slimmer body. I just guess it has a lot to do with being able to dress nice and not have to just go from being insecure with my body now to being insecure with my body later.

Your skin will most likely still have alot of elasticity to it at 22 years old! There are workouts that will help once you're a few months post op. Congrats on taking this step at your age - I wish I did!

Am 45 - was sleeved 11/2015 and also apple-shaped. Height 5'9, HW 292, SW 274, CW 212. Have been losing slower than some people but am really happy with my progress so far -- my stomach is soooooo much smaller and I haven't had any issue with loose/saggy skin there (yet). Now have saggy-ish underarms, but I can live that that!

I am about your age OP and apple shape, so most of my weight was around my tummy.

It now looks like a giant deflated balloon. Very unattractive, but only my husband and kids see it. And I am going to live beyond 60!

If I were single and on the dating scene I can imagine it would bother me, but as it is, it is ugly, not uncomfortable or painful, so I will be keeping my skin.

Edited by BCs 1000

I do 30 day shed and shred. That will help build up your stomach muscles, but you can't exercise skin away. It does tighten up somewhat after time.

Thank you everyone for your replies!! Do any of you have any workouts you recommend?

Swimming!

Swimming is the best all around exercise as far as I am concerned.

I swim laps, do Water aerobics, use Water weights, work my abs (crunches, etc.), and stretch.

Thank you everyone for your replies!! Do any of you have any workouts you recommend?

Swimming!

I swim laps, do Water aerobics, use Water weights, work my abs (crunches, etc.), and stretch.

Great idea!! I always wanted to learn. Now I just need to find a good/clean pool that isn't too expensive?

Any idea where I should check? I've tried YMCAs but it $300 for 2 sessions!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Swimming!

Great idea!! I always wanted to learn. Now I just need to find a good/clean pool that isn't too expensive?

The YMCA is $300 for two sessions of what? I used to belong to Y and they did have an initiation fee and a monthly membership fee. Group exercise classes were free. They did charge for swimming lessons. Is that what the $300 dollars is for? I know my Y did have financial assistance available if someone was in need.

I currently belong to a Wellness Center associated with our local hospital. I have a discounted membership because I got a referral from my PCP. Their group fitness classes are also free. The swimming lessons also have a fee.

Swimming!

The YMCA is $300 for two sessions of what? I used to belong to Y and they did have an initiation fee and a monthly membership fee. Group exercise classes were free. They did charge for swimming lessons. Is that what the $300 dollars is for? I know my Y did have financial assistance available if someone was in need.

I currently belong to a Wellness Center associated with our local hospital. I have a discounted membership because I got a referral from my PCP. Their group fitness classes are also free. The swimming lessons also have a fee.

I'll have to go in and see, I believe it was for two beginner swimming lessons. Thank you!

Swimming!

I'll have to go in and see, I believe it was for two beginner swimming lessons. Thank you!

That sounds like it would be for a series of classes if it is that much. I know my wellness center charges $18 per half hour for private lessons.