Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss........omg!

:omg:I dont know if this is where I am supposed to post this but I am freaking out! I am almost 4 months out and last week I started noticing my hair is falling out in what I consider huge amounts. I dont have super thick hair to begin with. I was told this might happen, but I guess I was thinking it might not happen to me. What can I do? Will anything help? Please someone tell me I wont be bald! How long does it fall out? Can it be from not enough Protein, or is it from losing weight too quickly? HELP!!!!

Thanks,

Janette :cry:help::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

Nope, nothing helps. If you are already getting your Protein and Vitamins, taking more is just spinning your wheels. There are a gazillion threads here on this topic and it's one of those things you just have to wait out with the rest of us. :(

As long as you are getting Protein and taking daily Vitamins, you are doing everything you can.

Join the crowd... many of us are right there with you. I am 8 months out and it's still falling out. I've easily lost over 50% of my hair. But Kat swears it will grow back :) so I'm trusting her that it does.

I remember freaking out about the same thing. I lost about 50% of my hair and at times it would make me cry. My bathroom floor was covered all the time and it kept clogging the drain. I tried all the stuff that people told me. Nioxin, Protein and Vitamins. All that did was empty my wallet. It really just took time. It will stop and it will come back. Mine is back now. I did end up getting my hair cut shorter. It was to the middle of my back so I got it cut to the shoulders. It made a huge difference. It really made it look and feel thicker. I really feel bad for people when this happens. Hair is so important to us. But I promise it does get better and comes back. We are here for you if you need to talk.

Yep,

It happens to all of us especially if you loose weight fast. I had to buy a cordless handvac and plugged it in the bathroom just to vacumn up my hair after I shower. I have long thick hair and it's everywhere.

I remember freaking out about the same thing. I lost about 50% of my hair and at times it would make me cry. My bathroom floor was covered all the time and it kept clogging the drain. I tried all the stuff that people told me. Nioxin, Protein and Vitamins. All that did was empty my wallet. It really just took time. It will stop and it will come back. Mine is back now. I did end up getting my hair cut shorter. It was to the middle of my back so I got it cut to the shoulders. It made a huge difference. It really made it look and feel thicker. I really feel bad for people when this happens. Hair is so important to us. But I promise it does get better and comes back. We are here for you if you need to talk.

I'm holding off the rest of my hysteria while banking on you guys that have BTDT and the promises that it will stop and eventually grow back.

The question is, will I live to be old enough to see my hair again. :cry

You know, one of the many reasons I opted for banding over bypass was that we were supposed to get to keep our hair. :)

Ok I think that Hair loss is the one thing that scares me the most. I always had short hair and I have been growing it out and it is now down to my waist and I am petrified of having to cut it short again. To me my hair is the only good thing I have going for myself. Maybe once I lose weight then I will not "rely" on my hair so much but for now I am worried about losing 50% of a good thing. :omg:

Ok I think that hair loss is the one thing that scares me the most. I always had short hair and I have been growing it out and it is now down to my waist and I am petrified of having to cut it short again. To me my hair is the only good thing I have going for myself. Maybe once I lose weight then I will not "rely" on my hair so much but for now I am worried about losing 50% of a good thing. :omg:

Even with my panic and hysteria I'd still do it all over again. I'd rather wear a wig than deal with fat pants.

I lost about 50 pounds in a few months a couple of years ago, needless to say it was not done in a healthy way, nor did it last, but I can tell you about 4 months later all may hair began to fall out. I went to a dermatologist and she told me it was because of a shock to your system and it will eventually stop, and it will grow back. I would give it another few months. It will look thin, but don't worry. It will grow back!

I agree that this is all worth having the band. I just wish that Drs would be a little more honest and tell you all the possible side affects. After my surgery I spoke with my drs office a couple times about the Hair loss and they acted like it was something new. Kind of the same thing as the shoulder pain I have. They act like I am the only one who has it. Oh well it is still all worth it.

eek.gifMy surgery is Thursday 8/16 and I am freaking out about this Hair loss thing. As if the pre-op diet isn't going to kill me or the headache I have today...now hair loss. NO ONE mentioned this to me in my pre-op appt. The first I heard of it is on this website. PLEASE someone say they have not had hair loss..give me hope! I am getting so nervous. Sad about the goodbye to eating out, eating yummy food etc. for a while. This is all so radical. Has anyone not had the hair loss issue?? Thanks.

Mine is still intact but it's only been 1 1/2 months. I have thinning hair already due to medications so I'm a little concerned with this thread as well. But, if all else fails, I will get a wig (and probably some valium! JK). I am encouraged that people are saying it will come back.

I went yesterday and got the One-a-day Weight Loss Vitamins. It's supposed to help with the effects of eating less calories and help our bodies convert food to fuel. I also try to make sure that I get ALL my Protein to help with this issue.

Don't be scared AZQUEEN. Even if my hair falls out, I would say this is still worth it!!

My surgery was 3/29/07 and I have not had Hair loss, yet!!! In fact it is in better shape that it has been in years. But I was told that was one of the reasons I needed to be on a pre-natal Vitamin. Maybe that is the answer....anyway if I lose some of my hair it is worth it to me to get the weight off.