Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Since I have started this journey (I'm only in the beginning fulfilling the insurance criteria) I have taken notice , it never really bothered me before) that people just ignore me, always nice in conversation, talk highly of me in work ethnic. But never really pay me much attention. I guess it's because I'm the chubby girl why talk to me when you can talk to all the skinny energetic girls?? I'm taking notes !! Further into my journey when people notice I will make sure to politely snub the ones who paid me no attention when I had on a little extra weight!! I am not feeling sorry for myself just observing people's behaviors. Is it really true people are much nicer to skinny people ?? Shame shame !! Anyone else notice this ??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@bellabeans - unfortunately that does happen and it sucks.

Its like ignoring someone who standing right in front of you its rude.

Yes, it is very true -- and it is worse, there are studies showing that people actively discriminate against fat people, i.e., when shown college applications with identical qualifcations but one accomapanied by a picture of a fat person and the other by a picture of a healthy weight person, test subjects are more likely to grant college admission to the healthy weight person. The same is true for job applicants. Doctors are shown to spend less time with, and speak less with, their obese patients. It sucks but you are not imagining things.

People did change the way they treat me, but I changed too. I personally think"keeping score" is a waste of life energy. I do have an issue with people who trash talk overweight folks and I tend to speak up when that happens.

I have been at goal over 3 years. I have nothing against obese people, but I wonder if sometimes they are less visible to me now too? Why would that be? I think it's because they as a group are less inclined to interact with me. Yesterday I took my puppy and grown dog to home depot for socializing. Puppy is very friendly so I must have chatted with 10 people who petted her and admired her furry cuteness. As I reflect, they were all normal size. Statistically not likely given the obesity rate - so why didn't an overweight person come up to pet my puppy? This is just an example of my own observation.

From my own experience, yes, people do pay more attention to and are generally more friendly to me since I have become thin. It's not something I even thought about watching for, but it became pretty obvious. That being said (not speaking of straight meanness or blatant discrimination), I don't fault people for it. I honestly don't think people are consciously doing it. Doesn't make it right, but for me I do take their intention into account. It has made me more aware of how I treat people of every size, sex, and color. For all I know, I have done the same thing. Not sure. Now if people were straight snubbing you and being rude, that is different. But there is a shift in strangers' attitudes as the weight drops, and I just try to roll with it and not get caught up in feeling angry about it.

I've actually been turned down for a job because of my weight. The only reason I know I'd because a friend of mine worked there and I had exactly the skill they needed but chose someone else. I asked her to be truthful and tell me why they turned me down and after some coaxing she told me i she heard them talking about not having enough Snacks to keep me happy. So although it hurt my feelers a bit I just moved along. My friend ended up leaving that job a few weeks later and finding another one because she too is over weight and she no longer felt comfy working there with what she heard. Now she's making twice as much and has much better insurance. :) there's always positive in the negative :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using the BariatricPal App

I cannot imagine a bigger waste of life than focusing on how people you don't give two hoots about used to treat you.

Move on. Live the life you want, don't relive the one you hated.