Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scarring and how many incisions?

Hello! I'm new to the forum and I had read this was a good one to join when looking for support outside of family so here I am :) . I was wondering how many incisions are normal when doing laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy? At first my sugeon told me 2-3 incisions but more recently I was told 4-5. :blink: So why the jump in the amount of incisions? I know I'm doing this for my health but as much as I hate to admit it, the idea of so many scars really is bothering me. I have some very large scars already (back surgery, C-section as well as a WHOLE LOT of stretch marks) and I'm only 29 yrs old. While I'm willing to do what I need to do for my health, I'd like to prevent more scarring if it's possible. I asked him about the SPIDER surgery and he said it's a gimmick and that there is no way to do that kind of surgery with a single incision. He obviously has a lot more experience than I do so I thought I would ask this forum...

How many incisions did you have?

How bad is the scarring?

Has anyone had a SPIDER procedure and if so how was your experience?

Thank you all for your time and thanks in advance for anyone willing to reply!

I had my sleeve done on March 28th. I have 6 incisions. They are very, very small. One is a little longer than the rest. That is the one that he pulls your stomach through. The good news is that I sometimes have a hard time seeing them. They are very small

Well I had 5 and then had a Tummy Tuck that took out all 3 c-section scars and 3 VSG scars so now I have?.....a big scar across my lower belly and it's the best thing EVER!!!! Point of that being it varies but who cares it's all worth it!!! ☺️

Thank you both for replying! It DOES make me feel much better to know that you have a hard time seeing them. Also, I am most likely going to need a Tummy Tuck after all is said and done so that was going to be ANOTHER scar I would have to look forward to in the future. Hopefully they can remove some of them by doing a tummy tuck, that would be awesome! If that's the case then I'm much less concerned with the scars. I don't ever plan to be scar-free but I would like to minimize if possible. Still wondering about the SPIDER procedure just out of curiosity though... Is it really a "gimmick"?

I have 7 incisions that i hope go away nicely cause their ugly right now...Im only 9 days out...My girlfriend had only 6 when i go to my appt im going to ask why the difference bit she is 3wks out and hers are healing nice...Good luck

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

I have 7 incisions that i hope go away nicely cause their ugly right now...Im only 9 days out...My girlfriend had only 6 when i go to my appt im going to ask why the difference bit she is 3wks out and hers are healing nice...Good luck

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

When you find out why the difference, I would also be interested in the reason if you get a chance to post it. I was told at first 2-3 and then for some unknown reason he bumped it up to 4-5. Makes me wonder if he saw something when he was looking around with the camera or what but he said everything was good. I definitely wasn't expecting 4-5 incisions. Knowing that they are really small and that some will probably be removed with a Tummy Tuck does help ease my mind though.

@@Lizardlady if you check out YouTube videos of the surgery everyone I've seen have 5 or 6 so I think that's the norm.....I think any less than that would be an exception.,,,,,,one is used for the tool they use to hold your liver up and out of the way.....one is for the camera and light, and the surgeon has one for each had and then he usually has an assistant that has one to help with retraction and such.

I had six incisions...

Still do actually...

Five are very small and hard to find amongst my hairy, saggy bits...

The other is slightly larger and slightly easier to find - but still difficult..

They really are nothing...

I have 5, two are about 1 inch and the others are about 1/3 of an inch.

I seriously doubt there'll be much in the way of a visible scar, and unlike KF, I'm not even hairy there to hide them. :-D

I had 7 & was told it was bc of adhesions. They couldn't get a good angle on the camera. Three C-sections will do that I suppose. They are very small & at 10 day post-op they're all healed & 2 I can't find anymore. My biggest one is the only noticeable one & it's right in line with my belly button which is a little bit of a bummer. I can live with it though!

IMHO, it's the 2 week liquid diet that has been the challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have 6 some I can hardly see and the rest are fading slowly. I had my gallbladder removed a few months prior so I have 10 all together now and I use Vitamin E on them and it really helps. They are worth it. So far I've lost 45 lbs just had my 3 month check and my Dr. was happy with how I'm doing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Thanks all for the replies! I Will definitely try the Vitamin E but I probably can't use it until I'm fully healed I'm guessing. If you have any other recommendations on products for scars I'd love to hear them!

I have 5 incisions that are still healing (only 8 days out) but, for once having a hairy stomach will be a positive thing ;)