Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain already?!?!

I'm 4 weeks post op today. Yesterday was the first day I was able to get in the recommended intake of 600 to 800 calories. I was pretty excited. That was until I got on the scale this morning. I've gained 4 pounds. . Since starting this whole process, all I've heard from acquaintances is that I either won't loose, or I'll gain it all back. I WANT TO CRY!!!!Please tell me I'm freaking out for no reason.

you are not eating enough to gain fat - so please don't panic. it could be Water, or you could need to poo. so many factors. keep following the plan, walk when you can and it will come off.

there now you've heard from a friend who says you WILL loose. :-) take that naysayers.

Edited by Christinamo7

Yes, you are freaking out for no reason. You know that gaining 4 lbs of fat in a short period of time is impossible, right? So, that must be a Fluid shift. Could be hormonal (where are you in your cycle?). Could be Constipation (when was your last BM?) Could be that now that you're eating more, you've put back the Fluid that your body stores along with glycogen (muscle sugar stored in the liver and muscles).

You will not be the only person on earth who gains instead of loses with WLS. But it isn't a straight line, either, and you simply have to accept that. Breathe, put away the scale, and keep following your postop instructions.

I'm 4 weeks post op today. Yesterday was the first day I was able to get in the recommended intake of 600 to 800 calories. I was pretty excited. That was until I got on the scale this morning. I've gained 4 pounds. . Since starting this whole process, all I've heard from acquaintances is that I either won't loose, or I'll gain it all back. I WANT TO CRY!!!!Please tell me I'm freaking out for no reason.

Yes, you are freaking out for no reason. If the numbers on the scale are going to freak you out, then please stay off the scale.

You are still healing and adjusting. Your body is in fluctuation and your hormones are wacky right now.

Just follow your program.

Focus on getting in all of your Protein and fluids.

And stay off the scale.

None of us lose at a constant or steady rate. Most of us experience weight fluctuations and stalls along the way. Almost everyone experiences a stall about three weeks post-op (and women have the added bonus of menstrual cycles).

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

News Flash: It takes ingesting 14000 EXTRA calories to gain 4 pounds of fat. Eating 800 calories total in a day is NOT going to cause you to gain ANY fat, much less 4 pounds. Only Water retention can cause your weight to fluctuate that drastically in such a short period of time.

Thanks guys. I normally don't get on the scale but in hoping to boost my spirits after a rough couple of days, I did this morning. Bad decision.

To answer your questions, I went to the bathroom prior to getting on the scale and thankfully(for me) I had a hysterectomy in 2010 so I don't deal with a cycle.

I have only been worrying with calories, because I've barely gotten in 400 to 500 and was told by two medical professionals that I will not continue to loose unless I get in at least 600 calories.

Thank you again. Those negative thoughts are just burning in my brain. Ugh!!

I had a hysterectomy last year, but I still have my ovaries, so I still have some bloating that goes on from the hormones. you will loose faster if you can get the calories up a little - what about a Protein shake?

I do that too. My weight is up and down all the time. My nut says Its normal because of Fluid intake.

Edited by Lisa_85

I had a hysterectomy last year, but I still have my ovaries, so I still have some bloating that goes on from the hormones. you will loose faster if you can get the calories up a little - what about a Protein Shake?

I do drink at least one Premier Protein shake a day. I just can't handle too many more of them.

As you get further out from your surgery, you'll be able to get more in. We promise. In the meantime, do the best you can. Early on, I thinned my Protein shakes with Fairlife milk. That helped them go down easier, they weren't so thick.

As you get further out from your surgery, you'll be able to get more in. We promise. In the meantime, do the best you can. Early on, I thinned my Protein Shakes with Fairlife milk. That helped them go down easier, they weren't so thick.

Thanks. I keep seeing people using Fairlife. I'm going to take a few minutes out of work and run over to Publix and see if I can find it.

I had a hysterectomy last year, but I still have my ovaries, so I still have some bloating that goes on from the hormones. you will loose faster if you can get the calories up a little - what about a Protein shake?

I do drink at least one Premier Protein shake a day. I just can't handle too many more of them.

Try the Isopure clear liquid protein! They're much easier to tolerate. They're pricey though, around $45 per case. However, 1 bottle lasts me all day and it's filling with 40 grams of Protein, zero carbs and zero fat!