Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone had a sleeve with a low BMI

Ok so I'm scheduled for a gastric sleeve (the full gastric sleeve this time) and my BMI is 32. I would like to hear from anyone who had a gastric sleeve with a BMI lower than 35. How was your experience and how long has it been and how much have you lost? Anyone lost more than required? If so what are you/have you doing/done about it? I need to loose 20 kg to reach my goal. I am worried and excited at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi,

I was 194.6 lbs when I took the surgery 3weeks ago

My BMI was around 32 as well, I lost 18 lbs so far.

Well I have mixed emotions right now, sometimes I feel happy and proud of my self that I did it especially after several stresses I have been through after the surgery and how I didn't turn to the pantry for comfort "as usual" and sometimes I feel regret doing it and wondering what did I do to my self and why??

I hope my regrets will pass away and stay with my good feeling about the surgery after I loose the extra weight and KEEP IT OFF this time.

Good luck.

Hi,

I was 194.6 lbs when I took the surgery 3weeks ago

My BMI was around 32 as well, I lost 18 lbs so far.

Well I have mixed emotions right now, sometimes I feel happy and proud of my self that I did it especially after several stresses I have been through after the surgery and how I didn't turn to the pantry for comfort "as usual" and sometimes I feel regret doing it and wondering what did I do to my self and why??

I hope my regrets will pass away and stay with my good feeling about the surgery after I loose the extra weight and KEEP IT OFF this time.

Good luck.

Oh wow 18lbs in 3 weeks is really good. I currently weigh 167.6 but I'm pretty sure I'm much shorter than you. From what I read and hear it's normal to have mixed emotions at the beginning but you will really appreciate it once you lose much more and the side effects from the surgery subside. .. Good luck and well done !

Glad to hear that you are getting the full sleeve.. My bmi was 32.5 to start.. It's now 26.1 - pretty much exactly 6months since surgery. (I've lost 20kg). I don't feel like I will loose too much as the weight loss has been very slow and steady and continues to slow.. I am active -doing xfit 3-4 times a week and building some good muscle. My goal originally was to loose 11 more kgs to be a bmi of 22 but I think I'll be happy to loose about 5 more kgs.. Just see when I get there.. The weight just had not magically dropped off me so I don't feel loosing too much is a genuine possibility at this point.

Glad to hear that you are getting the full sleeve.. My bmi was 32.5 to start.. It's now 26.1 - pretty much exactly 6months since surgery. (I've lost 20kg). I don't feel like I will loose too much as the weight loss has been very slow and steady and continues to slow.. I am active -doing xfit 3-4 times a week and building some good muscle. My goal originally was to loose 11 more kgs to be a bmi of 22 but I think I'll be happy to loose about 5 more kgs.. Just see when I get there.. The weight just had not magically dropped off me so I don't feel loosing too much is a genuine possibility at this point.

Well my goal is to lose 25 kg. I think I will be very happy if I lose 15kg.. Can I ask if you suffer from any loose saggy skin? I'm terrified that I might have saggy skin. What about your hair loss? How did you manage with that? Have you had any major pain right after the surgery or the first couple of weeks?

I understand the regret and wondering if you've done the right thing. I'm out over a year now and all those feelings have passed. I've adjusted to my new body, diet, lifestyle and I'm loving it. There most definitely is a physical, mental, and emotional adjustment period you go through though. So, I'd say feeling some regret and wondering if you did the right thing is normal. It also passes.

Hello, what do you mean when you say you are getting a full sleeve?? As apossed to what? Half a sleeve? I don't understand?

Mmy posted the other day talking about getting a 50% sleeve.. First I'd heard of it too.

My arms are a bit batwing-ish; my stomach is starting to get quite loose skin. I feel like I will need arm surgery and a tummy tuck- but for cosmetic reasons rather than medical. I still have 5-10kg to go, so not sure what changes the last few kg will bring.

My hair started to fall out quickly at 4 months and is slowing now at 6 months.. I take a good Amount of protien, Water and Vitamins daily.

I had very minimal pain, didn't take any pain relief after day 3.

Best decision I have ever made, it has been slow but I feel I have control of my weight/hunger ect for the first time in my life.

Edited by meatpie

My BMI was 31 when I started the prediet. I lost 10 lbs in the 2 week preop diet so technically I was below 30 when I actually had the surgery. I am a year and a half out and I have lost 45 lbs and did it all within 4 months. I have been at goal over a year. I do still eat really well during the week and let loose on the weekends. My BMI now is 21 and haven't had to worry about losing too much. I couldn't be happier with my decision. I workout 6 days a week. I still take all my Vitamins and just had my blood work done. Everything is good. I don't have saggy skin. Your face will show more wrinkles but I just get botox now :) I did lose hair between 3-7 months. It grows back. I also chose not to tell anyone except one friend and my husband. Best decision. I tried so many diets and always gained it back so I didn't want to hear from people how I didn't need to do it. I am not going to lie I was really scared to do it. I mean this is a major decision but I am glad I did and so very thankful I didn't have complications or throw up.

Good luck-

LA

Edited by SeahawksFan

Sorry duplicate post

Edited by SeahawksFan

@@mmy,

When I first enquired about WLS last year, May 2015, I was at 32 BMI.

I was already freaking out re my rapid weight gain, of 28 kg ..... I never had this problem before until 2014

Routine tests showed thyroid disease, so I had to put off my WLS for about 9 months, till my thyroid stabilised .....

By late February 2016, I managed to pile on another 12-13 kg, and my weight ballooned to 101 kg , BMI 37.1

My surgeon would have operated on me at 32 BMI, to prevent future health risks and to help my deteriorating emotional state. Unfortunately, with my Hyperthyroid (Graves Disease), it was too risky to be operated on.

All up, I put on 41 kg (90 Ibs) in a 2 year period (was always slim before).

If I did not have this surgery, I probably would be Double my normal weight now ..... I felt I was the only person on the planet that was obese with Hyperthyroid .... even though I now know that I had this disease most of my life, and it kept me slim until 2014.

I have no regrets, I lost good amount of weight 7 weeks post op, for my height.

I still have a long way to go, but each day is bit better ....

My NUT revised my goal weight to 68-70 kg, and I was Not happy with that.

I downgraded my goal weight to 65 kg (from 60 kg)

I am starting to look better, my face is changing, my aches and pains and other health issues with my rapid weight gain are improving, I am happier, and life is getting better.

Good Luck and Best Wishes :)