Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LOW blood sugar issues pre-band?

Hey, all!

I read a lot about folks with high blood sugar who've opted for the band, but I haven't seen much from those who started out hypoglycemic like myself.

Although I know my dips are easier to manage when my weight is normal, I worry about the process...if my foods are quite restricted (which I'm assuming they will be during healing, and possibly later depending on my own tolerance), will my dips be worse?

Right now, when I have a big dip I can take a glucose tab and get through it. What if I can't tolerate them afterwards? I'm a little concerned here...

Any comments appreciated.

~kat

I think you'll find that your 'dips' will go away completely. Remember, you'll be digesting food at a much slower rate and insulin will be released in a steady stream, rather than in a surge...which is the cause for hypoglycemia, right?

I have been "borderline" hypoglycemic since I was 16 and managed it by eating constantly! LOL I eat 5x a day now but they are small meals....more like Snacks...and I haven't had one episode since being banded.

I wish you the best of luck!

Hmmm... That is an interesting question. At my pre-op testing, I found out that I am diabetic. My A1C level was 9.7, which is pretty high, with an average blood sugar level of 250 or so.... My doc opted for no meds until my next A1C after 3 months, to see how my new lifestyle would affect my blood sugar. I was given a meter so I could test myself, and was told to do so 4x a day. I did, and was very happy to see that my blood sugar was down to normal levels MOST of the time. Next time my A1C was checked, it was 6.5!!!!!! Therefore, my doc decided I don't need meds at this time to control it. Even so, my blood sugar goes low maybe once a week. Not excessively low, I think the lowest it's been was 63 or something, but it's enough to make me shaky, and I KNOW I need to eat something....

I would definitely take this into consideration, and discuss it with your doctor and your surgeon before you decide to go for it....BUT also, I can tell you that you should have NO problem with the glucose tabs, since they come in several forms, you should be able to find one that suits you.

Good luck!