Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol and drugs after surgery

Can't advise about the drugs, but I agree that people need to be more supportive, and should only have clicked here if they had a useful answer.

As to the booze, I had a drink at 4 months out and it went perfectly fine. I had been scared out of making that move, and perhaps if I tried earlier I would've been in some trouble, but I enjoy happy hour regularly nowadays and am very grateful for the sleeve for allowing me to do it the right way.

ER nurse here. No judgment, but I will advise that you tell your surgeon about your use. The cocaine in particular can create some serious complications with surgery, and it will make it all the more important that a cardiologist do a full screening on you pre-op. And the cardiologist needs to know about your use as well. There will be medical people who will judge, I wish I could say that doesn't happen. But you VERY MUCH need to be with a medical team that you trust, and who have all the facts. You also need their input about how soon is safe for some of these things. The alcohol, especially since it has to be processed by the stomach. You wouldn't want to put something that stressful in your stomach too soon or you'd risk a lot of complications.

As for the effects post-sleeve, I'm still in the decision stage, so I can't help with that info. The people I know with either sleeve or bypass report that alcohol affects them much more and faster than before surgery, but they haven't shared about other substances.

I spoke to my dietician and told him not to bullshit me lol. I quit smoking six months ago for this surgery. I'm allergic to hops so I can't have beer, anyway, but I smoke weed, and three months after my op I will be going to Jamaica. I asked him if I could smoke. He said, and I quote, "I don't give a fuck how much weed you smoke. Just no nicotine. Smoke it out of papers or a pipe, no blunts."

I wouldn't know about Coke, I don't really do that.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

None of it is okay within a certain period preop, though.

Briefly, although tobacco wasn't mentioned -- the reason tobacco is contraindicated before and after WLS is that nicotine reduces the body's ability to heal wounds.

And after surgery, after you've healed, tobacco / nicotine can contribute to the development of stomach ulcers -- NOT a good thing when you have only 15% of your original stomach left. ;)

You can google that stuff if it applies to your situation.

I spoke to my dietician and told him not to bullshit me lol. I quit smoking six months ago for this surgery. I'm allergic to hops so I can't have beer, anyway, but I smoke weed, and three months after my op I will be going to Jamaica. I asked him if I could smoke. He said, and I quote, "I don't give a f**k how much weed you smoke. Just no nicotine. Smoke it out of papers or a pipe, no blunts."

I wonder if he gives advice about drinking, "Drink as many mixed drinks as you want, just don't use a straw".

:)

I spoke to my dietician and told him not to bullshit me lol. I quit smoking six months ago for this surgery. I'm allergic to hops so I can't have beer, anyway, but I smoke weed, and three months after my op I will be going to Jamaica. I asked him if I could smoke. He said, and I quote, "I don't give a f**k how much weed you smoke. Just no nicotine. Smoke it out of papers or a pipe, no blunts."

I wonder if he gives advice about drinking, "Drink as many mixed drinks as you want, just don't use a straw".

:)

lol, he says be easy with the drinks because a shot will get you drunk, and it's all empty calories.

Dude...if you're still succumbing to peer pressure at the age of 40...you have more issues than just needing weight loss surgery. Get a backbone, stay off the drugs, get some healthier/more mature friends and grow up already for your children's sake. At your age and as a parent, there are plenty of ways to "unwind" without doing cocaine.

Please don't judge me but I enjoy my beer and marijuana and occasionally cocaine in very small doses. I'm a very social person and I have a lot of friends and we like to have a good time. I know that my alcohol intake will change dramatically but if I do a little Coke or smoke some weed, how will this effect my new stomach and my tolerance. This is a very serious question so please be understanding. Thank you everyone

post-288627-14613341787669_thumb.jpgDude? Just watch the DVD's and back off the Bong and the coca Bro....

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I know you didn't want to discuss it with your surgeon, but please do disclose the drug use to your anesthesiologist-this is something they would NEED to know for your safety.

I don't know for sure as I'm not a doc but I would imagine the beer would fall under the same "warnings" as any other carbonated drink. I can't imagine marijuana causing any issues down the line (although I'd check with your surgeon), and as far as coke goes, I would HIGHLY recommend that be the one you put away for good. Good luck to you.

"Please don't judge me but I enjoy my beer and marijuana and occasionally cocaine in very small doses. I'm a very social person and I have a lot of friends and we like to have a good time. I know that my alcohol intake will change dramatically but if I do a little Coke or smoke some weed, how will this effect my new stomach and my tolerance. This is a very serious question so please be understanding. Thank you everyone."

Whatever guy...I think your beer, marijuana and occasional cocaine use is impairing your memory.

I would be honest with your surgeon and ask them these questions.

I know they have you quit smoking because it delays the healing process after surgery & can cause ulcers. I am not sure if marijuana has the same effect though but they would know. The other concerns I've read from other posters was the munchies sidetracking weight loss.

Most doctors for drinking suggest 6 months to a year and some say never again. I am three months out and had two sips of a drink and was done not only could I not hold any more liquid physically I was buzzed, so your sleeve may force you to change your habits.

There is actually a WLS Magazine article about alcohol on this site I would recommend it, it was a good read.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/page/articles.html/_/healthy-living/bariatric-realities-%e2%80%93-medical-professionals%e2%80%99-guidelines-about-alcohol-use-wls-r601

Edited by Samara1974

I am 3 weeks post-op. I smoked weed from a vape pen 4 days post-op once home from the hospital and stayed away from the pain meds. It relaxed me, controlled my pain a bit, and did not give me munchies, although weed has never had that effect on me. I also had a vodka on the rocks with a tiny splash of cran 2 days ago. It didn't even give me a buzz. Although I am not making a habit of drinking this early in the game, nor do I intend to, I really don't think my tolerance has changed. Prior to surgery I drank quite a bit. Having had a failed lapband prior to the sleeve, I know that in order to be successful with this, you have to change your lifestyle. But it should be what works for YOU and what is best for YOU. The doctors and nutritionists will give you guidelines but ultimately your choices will define your success. I will never stop enjoying a drink, especially working in a brewery. I'm passionate about food, beer, and craft cocktails and that will never stop. I do know that for my personal success, I need to find a balance and keep focused on my goals of why I had surgery in the first place. The magic formula for success is the one that works for you my friend. Just take decisions as they come and keep your eyes on the prize. Good luck!