Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band dilation question

Hello all. As some of you saw my previous post my husband recently put in a lap band for the first time after seeing my great results. Well I went to the Dr. Today because I thought I needed a fill but low and behold after the esophogram it appears I have a dilation not slip. So he emptied about 1.5cc out and I'm going to do liquids for a few days. My question to you all is..,will this work? Will I go back to normal again? I'm scared about needed another surgery but also scared to be without my band. Anyone been in my shoes? Thanks

My band has been loosened due to dilation. As I recall, we waited about two months to begin to refill and I was fine thereafter. People have different experiences. You don't have power over the outcome, but you do have power over being scared now. It seems premature to me. You might prefer to see how it plays out for you.

A dilation is when the stomach that is above the band expands too accommodate food and drink that is not passing swiftly enough through the band. The top part of the pouch can extend beyond the circumference of the band and cause greater complications.

Think of your band as you might think of the center point of an hour glass. Though in the case of your stomach the top part of the hour glass is much smaller than the bottom half. As you put food in it slowly breaks down small enough to pass through the center or the band into the lower chamber for full digestion and dispersion of nutrients to the rest of the digestive system. If you put something in that's not being broken down or taking a long time to break down to pass through the center point (the band) and then you add more be it drink or food the top chamber unlike an hour glass will expand to accommodate thus causing a dilation of the upper chamber of your stomach.

The way to relieve that, is to widen or open the band to allow the food/drink to pass through to the lower chamber and give the upper chamber a chance to heal and return to it's normal size. You are on liquids during this time to allow for this. If you go back to eating solid foods, you could run the risk of the upper chamber not returning to it's normal size and remaining dilated.

I have had this issue happen to me before, and yes it's tough to be on liquids for a time especially once the band is open for a while but it's worth it to stay the course. You won't gain weight and you will reset your band and your mindset again as well.

Hang in there you can make it through this!

The stomachs muscle is meant to expand and contract....I used to have a beer belly so big it looked as if I was carrying twins! But from eating much less and less often, it has returned to normal (flat)

Eating too much too fast can and will expand the portion above the band....

I believe this to be normal to a certain extent...not the overeating, but just from normal eating - drinking every day, over time, will stretch it a bit.

I can tell when this happens to me when I realize I am able to eat more (portion size) than usual. And I am more hungry than usual.

So as preventative maintenance, and this is the only maintenance I can think of with the band, I will go full liquids for at least 3 days...gives everything a rest, and any stretching can contract. I do this every 6 weeks or so.

Your Dr. is doing the same thing in essence...removing Fluid to give it a rest, and telling you to lay off solids for a while...give it all a rest and let it contract.

A dilation is when the stomach that is above the band expands too accommodate food and drink that is not passing swiftly enough through the band.

Eating too much too fast can and will expand the portion above the band....

It may not happen for everyone who develops dilation, but the ballooning can occur just above and below the band simultaneously. There it was on my images.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches