Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to this process

I had my first date with the doctor he said gastric bypass i was comfortable with his decision until i told my dad and he filled me with fears. There so comfortable with my weight and there weight they don't want to think about it i guess.. i put all his fears to rest i guess but it left me thinking about the fact my stomach will be so small. I guess i'm just scared. I know i'm ready for a change and i'm going to go forward with the gastric bypass. just wondering if anyone else had fears about what to eat and wondering about how small there stomach is going to be. and the possible dumping syndrome while at work ??

I have fears. I mean I'm human. But I guess the ability to have more children one day, and more importantly, the ability to play with my twin girls matter so much more. I know that without this surgery I'd be killing myself slowly but surely and I want to live and be able to share my story, and look back at how far I've come.

Dumping syndrome, in my eyes, seems beneficial. I like sweets. Ice cream, Cookies, cakes. I love them. I figured this will be a one time thing (if at all) and I'll remember it and not want to do it again.

Yes there are cons, but the pros outweigh it a billion to one!

I have officially just started my process As well. We can go through this together!

Edited by achappex3

Thank you and i do agree the benefits out way the fears. i did the labs already now im just waiting for them to do my upper gi and psych eval... im excited and scared.

I'm just now getting started but have those things happening within the next few months!

Being scared is normal, from what I've been told!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am new and have all those fears as well. I feel very overwhelmed. I quit smoking with chantix 2 weeks ago and I feel worse and I am super emotional. I think I need to stop the chantix it is giving me depression and anxiety.

I just know in the back of my mind like you said the pros will out weight the cons.

I really waited a whole year to see if i could loose the weight and think about the surgery. well i lost 30 pounds gained back 10. and im tired of the up and down diets. so i went for the consultation. and he approved me thank goodness.. definitely stop the chantix if its doing more damage then good.

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery 35 months ago because I had a number of health issues settling in (diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, severe acid reflux [GERD]). I saw what these conditions did to my mother and I resolved that I would not walk down the same path. Within a couple weeks after surgery, all these conditions went into remission and stayed there. So I am well pleased with the decision.

Dumping syndrome is actually a good thing. You have warning signs that you can detect prior to going into dumping syndrome. There is many a time when I have these warning signs and just immediately just stop eating my meal. It is an automatic trigger. Because I know that if I eat another bite, then I will experience dumping syndrome and I don't want to be there.

Thank you thats very helpful. congratulations on your weight loss !!!!

Im having surgery Monday, super excited and scared and nervous... some people are supportive and others tell me im taking the easy way out..

So my BMI is 39.1, I have a number of boarder line and hereditary diseases. I.e. Diabetes, fibromyalgia, sleep apnea and rheumatoid arthritis.

Not to mention how on my own I have PCOS and possible sleep apnea. Needless to say the added weight is killing me. However my doctor of 14 years does not agree that I need surgery.

I have found another doctor that supports the surgery however, I'm not sure how long I need to see her before they can operate.

I am so tired of being tired and fatigued. But the insurance company will only cover 100% if I have a notice from my doctor with her approval.

Yes I look forward to being smaller but having the energy to take the stairs or walk from the parking lot and not be out of breath is what I'm anxious about.

Can anyone else relate or has been through these hoops just to be healthy?

Thank you

IMO as you move forward those fears will be addressed and you won't have them. As you learn more your questions will be answered.

I am starting my liquid diet tomorrow and I'm dreading it. But I've been overweight all my life. I can't go on like I am if I do I will just pile on the pounds. I'm having RNY gastric bypass. I have complications I currently have fibromyalgia/Cfs I get so fatigued but I have to go through with it. I need to change my life x

Sent from my SM-G900F using the BariatricPal App

OMG I can relate to everything I've been reading here. I also have fibromyalgia, type 2 diabetes, possibly GERD, osteoarthritis, PCOS...

I've talked to a doctor about this, but not my PCP. I'm going tomorrow after work to talk to my PCP and tell him what I've decided to do.

I've had family members tell me my whole life that I could lose the weight if I wanted to. All I have to do is eat better, exercise...

You know how it goes.

I've been there I've done that, I'm tired of the yo-yoing with the weight. I'm tired of looking in the mirror and not seeing what I feel.

It's time for change, and this is my first step. I just wish people could be happy for me. Instead I keep hearing "why are you doing that?", "why do you need that?", "you could do it on your own". But clearly I can't I've tried.

So far I've had my initial consult, I've seen the psychiatrist, I've had my pulmonary test, and I'm going for my sleep study next month.

I don't see this happening before the end of the year, however that would be wonderful. I keep feeling that I'm getting too old for things, and certain people in my life (my mother) likes to point out that I'm not getting any younger and the older you get the harder it is on you to have children. I know she's not doing it to be malicious but that doesn't change how it feels...

Scary enough, I'm not afraid. I'm ready for change.

Sent from my XT1096 using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Kenlybop