Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constipation Question?

Hi all,

I had rny on 3/8/16. I've had no problems since day one, I've got all my fluids in, no nausea, plenty of Protein and normal bowel movements UNTIL today. I had the urge to go earlier and I went but it was just a few hard balls, I still felt the urge so I strained for a long time long enough to cause bleeding. By then I was in alot of pain. I called the nurse at my doc and she suggested fleet enema and buying Miralax, so I did both the enema didn't work and I know the Miralax probaly won't kick in till tomorrow. I'm still in alot of pain it feels like my rectum is full. Has anyone had thos problem?? Do you have any other remedies?

Thank you

Sent from my LG-H631 using the BariatricPal App

Drink some Miralax with Hot tea and take a few stool softeners! My surgeon told me to take stool softeners and take Miralax and drink more Water. After 5 hours of bathroom hell, I finally went. It hurt so bad. I take Miralax every other day and a stool softener almost every day and try to drink a lot of Water. Staying consistent is the key to not have that happen again! Hope all is fine now! :)

I take 4 stool softeners a day plus 2 Gummy fibers at night. I think Water is also the key with all of this. I'm 6 months out and this is still a HUGE issue, especially if I don't get enough water. One thing that has really helped though is a Squatty Potty. Seriously. I was having to resort to using (and I'm sorry if this is clearly too much TMI) um...surgical gloves and Vasaline at times because I was in so much pain and nothing was moving out of the trap door so to speak. The SP has taken care of that.

I feel your pain! I have had this exact same issue for the past 4 days and it has been killing me. So so painful!! I tried stool softeners and they didnt work for me. My doc told me to take metamucil 2x a day until the symptoms resolved and then once a day after that. Also, getting in all of your Water and walking every day helps keep things moving. I finally went this morning and it was better, but still painful from all the irritation that the previous 3 days caused. If you really cant go, magnesium citrate works really well also, but make sure you stay close to a bathroom after you take it!!!

I feel your pain. 2 Stool softeners a day and chewable Fiber 2times a day and miralax about every 2 days works well. What really helped me when I was "stuck" was a dulcolax suppository. Within 20 mins. I felt so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I added stool softness to my pill box every other day for about a month post surgery. It helped greatly. Good luck!

I've also bought a Squatty Potty as I've tried many medications. I thought it has to be a good idea as a non medication aid. I am impressed with it as are other family members. I've now realised I need to take something every day for now. I'm still a newbie at 10 weeks post op today. It's been the only problem I've had. ????

Edited by Trace66

Hi all thank you for your input. I talked to the nurse at my docs and she told to do the glove thing since I was already compacted/impacted. She also told to get some Miralax and start drinking it every evening. After two days I finally got relief and I swera I thought I was giving birth to a baby. Lol. Another bariatric patient told me that there is a tea called Smooth Move that really helps right away. I bought some at Walmart in peppermint flavor. I haven't had a chance to start it yet because I've been ok the past few days. Thank you all again.

Sent from my LG-H631 using the BariatricPal App

Welcome to life after bypass. I've had the Constipation issue since surgery. I pretty much just settled for pooping every few days until about 4 months ago. I had a hysterectomy 3 months ago and was warned that I could do absolutely no straining after that while I healed or I could risk rupturing internal sutures. So I started myself on Miralax and Colace daily. Immediately after the hysterectomy, I even added in Milk of Magnesia for a few weeks just to make sure I truly had no straining. But yeah, the constipation is completely normal, unfortunately. Miralax and Colace will become your best friends. My surgeon recommended a shot of Milk of Magnesia mixed with prune juice daily and told me this as I was being discharged from the hospital after bypass. I really wish I'd taken his advice then. Not that my weight loss hasn't been awesome, but I wonder if it could have been even better had I been more "regular" for those first few months.